U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 09:01 AM

26 posts, read 104,544 times

Advertisements

Hello Naples Forum. I am looking to move to Naples, but I don't know it well. Is there any area that is not desirable? I live in Chicago. There are areas like the Southside you want to stay away from. The reason I say that, I have been robbed twice and now I protect myself and licensed to carry.

I know the closer I am to the water, the more expensive properties are. Can someone explain the difference between the social-economic classes of East Naples v. North Naples. What are would be considered desirable without having to pay $750,000 for a 2bd/2ba.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2020, 11:53 AM

1,356 posts, read 914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey262 View Post
Hello Naples Forum. I am looking to move to Naples, but I don't know it well. Is there any area that is not desirable? I live in Chicago. There are areas like the Southside you want to stay away from. The reason I say that, I have been robbed twice and now I protect myself and licensed to carry.

I know the closer I am to the water, the more expensive properties are. Can someone explain the difference between the social-economic classes of East Naples v. North Naples. What are would be considered desirable without having to pay $750,000 for a 2bd/2ba.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
As a fellow Chicagoan myself I’m guessing you want to get the hell out of Illinois with the crummy weather and high taxes? What part of Chicago?

There are areas in Naples that are less then desirable, however there’s really no area where I would feel my life is in danger if I had to walk in the middle of the night like many parts of Chicago.

East Naples has a few lower income and borderline bad poverty areas like Naples Manor, but you have luxurious developments down the street like Lely and Collier Reserves. Like someone else described to me once, Naples does a great job of hiding the less then desirable areas.

Both North and East Naples primarily consist of retirees and snowbirds. That’s Naples in a nut shell for you. However I do think North Naples has a little more energy to it. There’s are plenty of decent homes in Naples Park to choose from that will make you feel like you’re still in Chicago but with palm trees outside your front door and beaches within walking distance. That development doesn’t have any HOA fees and is laid out like a typical Chicago grid neighborhood so to me it is the closest place to feeling back at home, well not home anymore but back in Chicago.

It’s hard to say what’s desirable for you because I don’t know what your lifestyle will be like. Do you like to be close to a gym, do you like Wholefoods, do you like a more quite street, do you want a pool, do you like golf, etc etc.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 06-14-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 06-14-2020, 07:41 PM

92 posts, read 76,572 times
As a former Chicagoan who moved down here last year, there's really no places like the southside of Chicago you have to worry about. There's a few sketchy areas here, but it's not that bad and easily avoidable.
North Naples is where a Chicagoan would feel most comfortable living in I think like the previous poster said.
Myself am in Golden Gate Estates with 2.5 acres and its wonderful if you like freedom from HOA's and the like. Although some areas here can get a little on the rowdy side with loud music on weekends and ATV's running around and people target shooting in their backyards its all within reason for the most part. Definitely research the area if it's what you're looking for. Of course if you love to be near the beach, you pay for that, especially west of 41. East of there you can find decent housing slightly under 500k. Depends on your budget and lifestyle. In the estates you can get acreage and a real nice house for 400K or less, and obviously no HOA.
We are woodsy so there's more bugs and such, and thunderstorms seem to gather right over us in the summer afternoons, lol.

If I could of afforded it Id be closer to the beach, but I don't feel like I settled, happy here as well.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 PM

1,819 posts, read 2,047,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot1959 View Post
As a former Chicagoan who moved down here last year, there's really no places like the southside of Chicago you have to worry about. There's a few sketchy areas here, but it's not that bad and easily avoidable.
North Naples is where a Chicagoan would feel most comfortable living in I think like the previous poster said.
Myself am in Golden Gate Estates with 2.5 acres and its wonderful if you like freedom from HOA's and the like. Although some areas here can get a little on the rowdy side with loud music on weekends and ATV's running around and people target shooting in their backyards its all within reason for the most part. Definitely research the area if it's what you're looking for. Of course if you love to be near the beach, you pay for that, especially west of 41. East of there you can find decent housing slightly under 500k. Depends on your budget and lifestyle. In the estates you can get acreage and a real nice house for 400K or less, and obviously no HOA.
We are woodsy so there's more bugs and such, and thunderstorms seem to gather right over us in the summer afternoons, lol.

If I could of afforded it Id be closer to the beach, but I don't feel like I settled, happy here as well.
We looked at Golden Gate Estates several years ago. The area looked very nice with the very large lots. However, we saw Golden Gate City, which is nearby, as being a run down area. There were about 6 cars or more in each driveway in Golden Gate City. We stopped looking at Golden Gate Estates after seeing Golden Gate City was so close. We were very concerned about the criminals that lived in Golden Gate City might victimize the residents of Golden Gate Estates. Were we right to be concerned with Golden Gate City being so close?

Old 06-15-2020, 04:20 AM

1,356 posts, read 914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
We looked at Golden Gate Estates several years ago. The area looked very nice with the very large lots. However, we saw Golden Gate City, which is nearby, as being a run down area. There were about 6 cars or more in each driveway in Golden Gate City. We stopped looking at Golden Gate Estates after seeing Golden Gate City was so close. We were very concerned about the criminals that lived in Golden Gate City might victimize the residents of Golden Gate Estates. Were we right to be concerned with Golden Gate City being so close?
I know that question wasn’t directed at me specifically but I have to answer because it’s an easy definite NO! You could probably fit a couple hundred golden gate cities in the golden gate estates. Maybe your concern is valid if you had a golden gate estate lot that was right across the street from golden gate city but for 99% of the estates it wouldn’t even be a thought to me about golden gate city existing.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:29 AM

26 posts, read 104,544 times
Yep, I'm ready to get out of Chicago. The taxes, weather, looting, rioting, protesting is getting out of hand. I live in the Gold Coast. Oak St. & Michigan Ave was looting. The media did not show the real looting. Here is an example of the taxes on fuel. A few blocks away, fuel prices are 3.25 for regular gas. I have family in Crown Point, IN that is 50 minutes away. I fill up at Costco. Gas is 1.75. I fill up for $28. In Chicago - $58. I use to live in Naperville. MY property taxes $18,000 in Dupage County. I'm ready to leave.

My preference for Naples is not to pay $700 for HOA's/month as I see in PUD's (Planned Unit Development) in Naples nor do I want to live in a 55 & older community. I am a city person. I prefer to be around people 40+, close to WholeFoods, Trader Joes, or Publix.

I am not looking for large acreage to ride ATV's or shoot guns even though I own many - all for protection. Are there non-production/track builders who build homes for $400K? Can you name some desirable neighborhoods? I don't mind driving 20 minutes to the beach.

Being a past resident of Chicago, when I mentioned South Side, Humblepark, HydePark, you know the areas I prefer to stay away from. I mentioned I lived in Naperville and live in the GoldCoast, I think you know the area I am trying to locate. What are your thoughts?

Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 AM

14,398 posts, read 9,213,524 times
If you want a 2 bed/2 bath SFH you can definitely get something for $400K 20-30 minutes from the beach.

https://www.zillow.com/naples-fl-341...A1426%7D%7D%7D

Old 06-15-2020, 12:47 PM

62 posts, read 52,900 times
a lot of ex-chicago people here.

Suggestions:

Map out what things in Naples are of interest. The pier? Costco? Movie theaters? Then pick an area central to those.

You don't want to end up east of i75 on immokalee road and then find out it takes 45 minutes to get to costco.

Google maps allow you see typical traffic patterns. Airport Pulling and Pine Ridge is not 249 or even roosevelt road, but it does get bad at rush hour.

Oh and look at flood maps. I bought my place and then found out I'm about 100 yards away from a flood zone, so I got very lucky.

most neighborhoods are gated, so you don't have to worry about security too much. things happen, but you can look at the crime maps when you have an area picked out.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:05 PM

14,398 posts, read 9,213,524 times
You’d have to be pretty far east on Immokalee of I-75 to take 45 minutes to get to Costco. Unless you went at the absolute worst time during season. But you’re right, learn the traffic patterns.

Old 06-15-2020, 02:38 PM

4,633 posts, read 9,720,126 times
markjames68,
some good rec'ds, but we have 3 sets of friends in those Zillow noted house areas and the traffic situ has eroded considerably, just 'getting out' of those several communities.

During winter season, our 3 friends report, (and we experienced it this past winter while visiting pre CV19), that from their doors to get onto Immokalee, it took us 15-20 mins just to get through the lights/stop signs onto Immokalee Rd...

The 'beaches' were another 35 to 40 min slog.
Just our experience...
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples