Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:48 AM

731 posts, read 758,334 times

Advertisements

"But - it’s like Disney for Seniors during season. Many seasonal visitors - either renters or condo owners - are arrogant, loud and pushy when it comes to getting what they want. Saw this all the time.

I’m not being biased here, I’m calling it as I saw it. Pushy seniors at Costco, in restaurants on 5th Ave, and also at the bar at the club.

There’s a different snobbish attitude in Old Naples where the real money resides. You will see the difference between Big Shot Biff from up north living in Twin Eagles driving his Mercedes vs. Socialite Sally driving her Bentley convertible."

I agree that what you have seen exists. From my experience, I don't see this a lot. I am not friends with anyone that's snobbish, pushy, etc. Whether someone has a Bentley or Kia, I don't care. I care to be friends with nice, down to earth people that share my lifestyle and values regardless of what's in their wallets. I also go to Costco and my experience is that most people are nice. Not to say pushy people don't shop there LOL

I moved to Naples from Long Island. People like you have described also exist there, especially on the South Fork. This doesn't mean all of Long Island is like this.

I think everyone agrees that Naples and Florida isn't for everyone. People should do their research and ask as many questions about Naples as they can. Then think about the lifestyle they want, and make a decision.

And for the record, I would LOVE a baby blue convertible Bentley with a cream interior. Anyone wanna buy me one? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 11:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,113,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtondo View Post
"But - it’s like Disney for Seniors during season. Many seasonal visitors - either renters or condo owners - are arrogant, loud and pushy when it comes to getting what they want. Saw this all the time.

I’m not being biased here, I’m calling it as I saw it. Pushy seniors at Costco, in restaurants on 5th Ave, and also at the bar at the club.

There’s a different snobbish attitude in Old Naples where the real money resides. You will see the difference between Big Shot Biff from up north living in Twin Eagles driving his Mercedes vs. Socialite Sally driving her Bentley convertible."

I agree that what you have seen exists. From my experience, I don't see this a lot. I am not friends with anyone that's snobbish, pushy, etc. Whether someone has a Bentley or Kia, I don't care. I care to be friends with nice, down to earth people that share my lifestyle and values regardless of what's in their wallets. I also go to Costco and my experience is that most people are nice. Not to say pushy people don't shop there LOL

I moved to Naples from Long Island. People like you have described also exist there, especially on the South Fork. This doesn't mean all of Long Island is like this.

I think everyone agrees that Naples and Florida isn't for everyone. People should do their research and ask as many questions about Naples as they can. Then think about the lifestyle they want, and make a decision.

And for the record, I would LOVE a baby blue convertible Bentley with a cream interior. Anyone wanna buy me one? LOL
I also moved to Naples from LI so yes, by comparison Naples is very mild in most ways. I moved from western Suffolk on the north shore, a lot different than the Hamptons.

I’d say that 90+% of people in Naples during season are friendly and just want to enjoy their retirement. They’ve selected Naples for all the reasons I mentioned - clean, safe, stuff to do, buy and eat, and the weather during season can’t be beat.

But there are definitely “big shot” types who are full of themselves, and more than a few.

One example I recall was at a restaurant where we had been eating nearly weekly all summer and fall. When season came, we were seated and this guy rudely asked the server why we were placed there as it was his table. Of course, he hadn’t sat there since April. It reminded me of commuters on the LIRR with their “reserved” seats.

I’d see this at Mercato and Waterside restaurants all the time too.

Another, at the club was when I was eating outside with my kids (at the time 6 and 8) and the next table over was a bunch of guys who had just finished their round and started drinking. They kept on bragging about their accomplishments, their cars, how they’re doing so much better than “the poor people back home”, and using very salty and inappropriate language. I asked to move my table and the club management came to apologize to me.

At Costco it’s a bit of a circus in November and December, and somewhat amusing when you see seasonal residents buy cases of wine, a lot of eggs and other assorted goods. Pre-COVID when Costco had sampling it was like watching a bird feeder, with many people swarming around and blocking the aisles. I’ve also had my foot run over multiple times. Ultimately I tried to find better times to go. And the gas station...

Parking at Trader Joe’s (and shopping inside) was always challenging in season as well.

Once restaurants and shops learn you’re full year and not retired you generally get treated better, and when season comes there is a lot of shared eye rolling when snowbirds act out.

So one piece of advice to people - don’t act like an @#$ if you’re in Naples seasonally. I’ll have to keep this in mind if I end up buying a condo there

Old 01-18-2021, 11:47 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,071,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I also moved to Naples from LI so yes, by comparison Naples is very mild in most ways. I moved from western Suffolk on the north shore, a lot different than the Hamptons.

I’d say that 90+% of people in Naples during season are friendly and just want to enjoy their retirement. They’ve selected Naples for all the reasons I mentioned - clean, safe, stuff to do, buy and eat, and the weather during season can’t be beat.

But there are definitely “big shot” types who are full of themselves, and more than a few.

One example I recall was at a restaurant where we had been eating nearly weekly all summer and fall. When season came, we were seated and this guy rudely asked the server why we were placed there as it was his table. Of course, he hadn’t sat there since April. It reminded me of commuters on the LIRR with their “reserved” seats.

Another, at the club was when I was eating outside with my kids (at the time 6 and 8) and the next table over was a bunch of guys who had just finished their round and started drinking. They kept on bragging about their accomplishments, their cars, how they’re doing so much better than “the poor people back home”, and using very salty and inappropriate language. I asked to move my table and the club management came to apologize to me.

At Costco it’s a bit of a circus in November and December, and somewhat amusing when you see seasonal residents buy cases of wine, a lot of eggs and other assorted goods. Pre-COVID when Costco had sampling it was like watching a bird feeder, with many people swarming around and blocking the aisles. I’ve also had my foot run over multiple times. Ultimately I tried to find better times to go. And the gas station...

Parking at Trader Joe’s (and shopping inside) was always challenging in season as well.

Once restaurants and shops learn you’re full year and not retired you generally get treated better, and when season comes there is a lot of shared eye rolling when snowbirds act out.

So one piece of advice to people - don’t act like an @#$ if you’re in Naples seasonally. I’ll have to keep this in mind if I end up buying a condo there

You complete me man!

Honorable mention for the seasonal geriatric demolition derby.......

Old 01-18-2021, 02:07 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,201,602 times
Yes living here full time is a bit wearing, mainly because of the relentless humidity from June-October. The snowbirds know how to do it. South Florida has the best weather in the country here from Dec-March.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:18 PM

396 posts, read 705,367 times
Thank you all for the spirited discussion and advice.

Of course it goes without saying, that anytime you send something out to the “hive mind” the advice you will get back will be mixed. Even so, I am glad I asked, particularly because BBTONDO offered us the exact sort of practical advice we were seeking, with some very good ideas and thoughts about how to make friends.

Making any kind of life change is fraught with risks, but one can mitigate such risks by soliciting input and data from various sources, inclusive of, but not limited to, strangers on the Internet. Attylshekelman, so much I could say about your post which was an interesting POV. I think we can both agree that the only way to avoid anything changing is to allow nothing to change......

........and that works for some. It is not where our head is at at this moment, for too many reasons to enumerate here. However, please rest assured that if we are at the point of asking, we have given thoughts to the questions you so thoughtfully posed and still netted out on the side of continuing to investigate moving.

I wish you all a great rest of the week.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 PM

66 posts, read 78,186 times
Sarasota is becoming "Naples North"

Old 01-19-2021, 05:19 AM

47 posts, read 55,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Yes living here full time is a bit wearing, mainly because of the relentless humidity from June-October. The snowbirds know how to do it. South Florida has the best weather in the country here from Dec-March.
I had thought about moving down there full time, but since decided on just what you suggest, which is to stay in Massachusetts at least from Memorial Day until mid-October. Some of the themes discussed in this thread won out. If you spend your entire life in a region or state, you have roots there. Those are with your friends, culture and even a way of living.

As far as people go, each region has its stereotypes and most of us go to Costco. Wegmans, Target, etc. to buy things and leave. All you should care about is the service. Every region has its own peculiarities. Up in Boston, we have mean and aggressive drivers and people don't act friendly to people they don't know. It's okay, if you're used to it. You just deal with your environment. I'm okay saying our move is about the weather and not wanting to be cooped up indoors from December through March. It's freaking depressing.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
Thank you all for the spirited discussion and advice.

Of course it goes without saying, that anytime you send something out to the “hive mind” the advice you will get back will be mixed. Even so, I am glad I asked, particularly because BBTONDO offered us the exact sort of practical advice we were seeking, with some very good ideas and thoughts about how to make friends.

Making any kind of life change is fraught with risks, but one can mitigate such risks by soliciting input and data from various sources, inclusive of, but not limited to, strangers on the Internet. Attylshekelman, so much I could say about your post which was an interesting POV. I think we can both agree that the only way to avoid anything changing is to allow nothing to change......

........and that works for some. It is not where our head is at at this moment, for too many reasons to enumerate here. However, please rest assured that if we are at the point of asking, we have given thoughts to the questions you so thoughtfully posed and still netted out on the side of continuing to investigate moving.

I wish you all a great rest of the week.
I'm glad my information was of help to you. There's so many things to think of. It's a wonderful thing that people on this forum have different point of views. It gives every side to the story.

I understand that everyone has had experiences in Naples with rude people. I just don't focus on a few bad apples to ruin the wonderful life I have here. I'm happy with my choices.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:25 AM

[quote=markjames68;60191332]I also moved to Naples from LI so yes, by comparison Naples is very mild in most ways. I moved from western Suffolk on the north shore, a lot different than the Hamptons.

Yes, I remembered you also lived in Long Island. I do understand some bad experiences you have had in Naples. No place is perfect. Even Long island. I get it.

In my opinion I think if you are still working and/or have kids Naples may not be for you. Naples is a town that revolves around retirees. Those men at your club being salty, inappropriate language, etc where at a club BAR. When you walk into a club bar/restaurant with young children where most of the people are retired you may get a few eye rolls. That's just the way it is, right or wrong.

We looked in Riverstone for a house at one time. Beautiful community. The problem for US is that we are retired and there are a lot of families with kids there. We were at a different point of life and lifestyle as a lot of the people that live there. Hence, we didn't buy there. We know a few retirees that moved to Riverstone and have left because of the families there. Families and kids are great! Just been there, done that.

Why does it bother you that seasonal residents buy cases of wine, etc? They're retired and here to have fun! Why do you care about the people taking samples at Costco? The same thing occurs at every Costco.

We had neighbors in the Vineyards that still were working amongst mostly retirees. They didn't seem happy. Occasional comments to other neighbors as they would drive off with golf clubs or tennis rackets, "Must be nice!" Said in a nasty way. It bothered them that they were working and no one else was. That's on them. They moved.

From your experiences, I think you made the right choice to leave Naples. Hope you're happy in your new location.

Old 01-19-2021, 08:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,222,993 times
Naples! Great choice!
Hard to make friends?
What you may find (and we know about Covid issues, gee), is people at that age 'have their friend circles already'.
Sorry, it's just a fact...so yeah, it's harder. But not impossible!!!
My sister moved after her hubby's sudden Sepsis death and joined about 5 groups - never made a real coffee buddy after 1.5 yrs trying...
chatting only after the groups, tho.
(And many liked her ---within the group situation.)

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 01-19-2021 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: tip0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples