Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 12:48 PM

44 posts, read 55,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I think only you will know the answer to this. Naples is great, Sarasota (especially Siesta Key, longboat Key) is great as well. Both have Snowbirds but Naples has more. Sarasota has a little more to do than Naples, but Naples has less crime and better golf. Both require you to drive 30-60 mins for a good airport.

You know your budget and what your lifestyle will be.

Just rent something and try out both..good luck!
Two dogs, two cats, 3 cars, 2 kayaks and 3 paddle boards kind of get in the way of renting. if we moved decided on Naples at least to rent for a bit, we could take stuff to parents house, even put a car there, but were afraid we won't get the cats back, the dogs probably, but my mom has a tendency to get very attached to cats. We left two with them when we moved out to Vegas back in 03. Never got them back. She currently has my sisters cats after helping her out. they live pretty good, so we don't really argue. But my current cats are really cool and I don't want to give them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 04:47 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,340,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesMeihaufer View Post
Naples will always be Naples, Sarasota is changing into something almost unrecognizable by the month.

It's like Sarasota is a part of Tampa metro now.

When I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002 Sarasota, Bradenton was still lumped in with Southwest FL a lot when it came to the media and geographic context. Now, even Venice is hardly ever considered southwest FL anymore by most.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I didn't move to Naples because I preceived the people to be too old, and the nightlife too boring. It was also more expensive than Sarasota.

I think you'd like Northern Siesta Key, or the edges of downtown Sarasota.

Rent before you buy is great advice that I followed, and it saved me a lot of money because I had plenty of time to house hunt, & make the right decision the 1st time.

The ironic thing is Sarasota County median age is actually a tad older than Collier County!

Now the city of Naples alone, I mean in and around the city limits of Naples, yea it's old. It's also very expensive to live within the city limits which explains the age too. Old rich people.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:51 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
The ironic thing is Sarasota County median age is actually a tad older than Collier County!

Now the city of Naples alone, I mean in and around the city limits of Naples, yea it's old. It's also very expensive to live within the city limits which explains the age too. Old rich people.
That is not an accurate depiction of Naples population because it leaves out snowbirds who are not FLA residents. Naples during season appeared 10 years older to me than Sarasota.

In the Winter months, Naples is very old.

Old 11-02-2021, 04:52 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllkllER View Post
Two dogs, two cats, 3 cars, 2 kayaks and 3 paddle boards kind of get in the way of renting. if we moved decided on Naples at least to rent for a bit, we could take stuff to parents house, even put a car there, but were afraid we won't get the cats back, the dogs probably, but my mom has a tendency to get very attached to cats.
Rent a house in Golden Gate estates on 2-3 acres, you'll get all that stuff in there

Old 11-02-2021, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
That is not an accurate depiction of Naples population because it leaves out snowbirds who are not FLA residents. Naples during season appeared 10 years older to me than Sarasota.

In the Winter months, Naples is very old.
That's probably true too. Naples being more south is more seasonal I think than Sarasota is. I don't go up there a lot, but from the looks of it Sarasota is crowded year long now.

Naples being wealthier I would think has snowbirds who can afford more than one house, hence you see Naples older during season.

All the counties in Southwest Florida, South of Tampa have gotten older since the last census. You have to remember a lot of people are moving down here full time now and selling their northern houses and staying down here all year now.

When it comes to year long residents on the census Sarasota County is older than Collier, but not by much. But then again during season with Naples being more seasonal will make them look older due to snowbirds not being counted on the census.

Old 11-03-2021, 10:10 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquesMeihaufer View Post
Naples will always be Naples, Sarasota is changing into something almost unrecognizable by the month.
Naples has been unrecognizable for at least a decade. It's rapidly transforming into Broward West.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Rent a house in Golden Gate estates on 2-3 acres, you'll get all that stuff in there
With two dogs over 100 lbs...not likely to be welcomed by a landlord. I can lose the cats in a pinch to parents but not the dogs.

Old 11-04-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
Naples has been unrecognizable for at least a decade. It's rapidly transforming into Broward West.

I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002. Moved back to St. Louis then back to FL in 2015, Punta Gorda area.

The current Punta Gorda reminds me of what Naples looked like back in 1991, size wise. Still find Sarasota traffic and roads much more congested and harder to navigate though. Then again I'm more used to Naples so that's why maybe it's easier for me.

One thing I will say about Southwest FL it keeps getting older and census data each year backs that case up too.

Sure, Collier County was an old folks, retire, snowbird area when I lived there, but it certainly wasn't as old as it is now. back then I still ran into more younger people. Now it's like everyone is over 60 there lol, especially from Dec to April.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:02 PM

Out of curiosity, I wonder about the constant discussion of the average age of Naples. I get that it's a popular retirement place, as my parents finally retired there.

What I'm trying to figure out is why it is a bad thing? I'm really curious not trying to start an argument.

For instance, IMO I see some pros to having an elderly and no doubt well off populous.

-- they buy very expensive homes, so pay tons of property taxes
-- they don't over burden the schools
-- they don't use certain types of drs (peds, orthodontists etc) so easy to get appts
-- they provide a constant source of patients for other dr due to medical needs. I'm sure the plastic surgery business is booming in Naples
-- as many are very wealthy they don't require social services that many elderly in other areas require

I see they can over take the roads, and early dining options (god knows I hate dining with my parents at 4:30) but what is wrong with a large majority of residents being over 60?

I really am curious. Last time we were down there my wife noted that the type of clothes she wanted were readily available and not picked over like up here in Va, not sure where she was shopping, but she stocked up. Personally I noticed lots of rhinestone embellished pants and gold sandals that my mom wouldn't be caught dead in, but to each his/her own.

Anyway just wondering what the really cons are of an aged population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples