Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 03:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
I lived in Naples for 5 years. I finally couldn't stand the weather there any more. I would say the oppressive heat due to the high dew point lasts at least 6 months if not more. And it rains every day. After Hurricane Irma, I moved to Las Vegas, the total opposite of humid. Dry heat suits me much better, I love it here. Nashville has lots of things to do, though nothing compares to Vegas for entertainment and restaurants. Naples is pretty boring unless you consider golf to be entertainment. How often can you NOT get in the Gulf of Mexico around Naples these days? Thought about rising sea level? Folks in Miami sure have. I won't touch on the subject of politics in FL.
Yea dry heat isn’t bad. I spent 5 month in the high desert in AZ in 2021 and anything under 105 degrees is a cake walk in dry heat. Although you get some serious heat in Vegas there… The sun’s UV is much more intense out in the southwest part of the country, even though it’s farther north from the equator than Florida. All that humidity in the air even on a sunny day in FL actually blocks some of the sun’s UV. Some… Still will fry your ass either area in July but I think more so in the southwest like NV or AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 03:08 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
It may take awhile, but you get used to the heat. After 20+ years in Florida I find it comforting.

Old 01-30-2023, 03:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It may take awhile, but you get used to the heat. After 20+ years in Florida I find it comforting.
Several people told me that and said the heat and humidity didn't bother them. It wasn't the heat that bothered me, it was the humidity. I never got used to it and it was a major factor in my decision to move out west. It's a good thing not everyone likes the same things or we'd all want to live in the same place.

Old 01-30-2023, 04:55 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,897 times
I'd look at Marco Island for your budget and drive the 90 minutes to Miami International Airport for direct flights to Europe.

The city proper Naples is very old by the way. Families are more in the new developments of North Naples and Ave Maria areas out east.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:13 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,088,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
35+ years and counting for me and I still dread the sauna, probably more than I did years ago.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,214,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripower455 View Post
35+ years and counting for me and I still dread the sauna, probably more than I did years ago.
The same people who say they get use to the oppressive humidity and heat are the ones who lock themselves inside 10+ hours a day with the AC cranking during the summer.

Last edited by JPrzybylski07; 01-31-2023 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 01:17 PM

1,624 posts, read 1,706,945 times
I don't like to sweat when I'm dressed up to go out on the town. You can't make it from your car to the restaurant without breaking a sweat when the temperature is 95 and dew point is 75. I prefer a dry sauna to a steam sauna, lol.

It amazed me how much moisture my AC unit pulled out of the air in my house in Naples. You have to clean the drain pipes from the slime that builds up at least twice a year or they get clogged.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:06 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
Hello all and thank you in advance!

Family in mid 40s with kids from 18 to 8. We spent about 4 years on the Peninsula of Washington state on the sound. We absolutely loved the summer weather (75-85 with no humidity or rain) and the outdoor beauty including the orcas/mountains. The Covid times were tough and we disagreed with our state supreme leader on other issues such as crime and I elected to take a job with my same company in TN so we are living outside of Nashville in Williamson County but only since spring.

We love the safety and security this area provides, as well as upscale dining and shopping and unlike in the PNW our car hasn't even been broken into and we dont see any homeless people/camps. The schools are great, but super crowded as this area has also witnessed a population explosion that the infrastructure can't keep up with. We find the geographic beauty missing and really did not like the hot summer as we did not have our own pool and the community pool wasn't all that great. Simply put we are not long for this area and I have a 100% remote job as of a month ago so we are actively looking. Even if we put a pool in we dont drink much and I feel like so much around here is geared toward that.

This job will require no commute but I will need to fly all over the US and primarily Europe. My wife will not commute but will be managing the kids/schools/activities.

All this said, we are debating heading back up to the PNW to enjoy the scenery and weather but worrying about what shoe will drop next as they try to outdo California. We are also debating finding a place such as Naples that appears to be clean, safe, well kept by the ocean so we could still enjoy that not worrying about what the government will declare for tomorrow. TN is fantastic for not having to even think about politics because you dont have to worry each day for how the state is planning to extract more money from you to give away to others after keeping a portion for themselves.

Hopefully the extra honest tidbits of information will help to provide a bit more about us that could help narrow down the search. We want the beauty of some oceans, and if we are going to be 100 degrees and 100% humidity all summer id rather it be by the water with my own pool than sitting here sweltering with no breeze.

If we were looking for a 3,000 sq foot place or above with 4BR, triple garage, gated with great schools with a budget of up to 1.3 mil can we find it and how is the market currently? Looking online but that doesn't always tell the whole picture. Appreciate any suggestions and thank you again!

Check out St John’s County Florida as an option

Old 01-31-2023, 03:24 PM

251 posts, read 203,522 times
I lived in Naples for 9+ years and found that the humidity bothered me more so as the years went on. For me, the air always felt thick and movin1 is so right about the c/a unit pulling moist air into the house! I find living out west with lower humidity and dew points suits me much better. I have so much more energy without the heavy air weighing me down. I'm comfortable now in temperatures hotter than it ever got in Naples. Everyone is different and the climate / humidity is a huge and personal factor to consider when moving somewhere.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:45 PM

146 posts, read 154,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Check out St John’s County Florida as an option
Thanks....we had been looking at that area as well for a lower cost option. Will dig further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples