Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,283 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

While googleing over Naples, I couldn't help notice the big white rectangulars right East of Rural Estates in Naples. Can someone explain to me what are those big lands? You can find them at the end of Golden Gate blvd. E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaidsmebro View Post
Sheltered suburbia. There is NO neighbourhood in Naples, not even the worst parts of Golden Gate that are anywhere near being a real ghetto like you'd find in any big city or even in Ft Myers.

If you're scared of hispanics, blacks and rebel flag totin' rednecks then you're probably better off at a gated community. Otherwise there's not much to worry about.
I agree. I live in Bonita Springs which is probably 25 or 30% Hispanic and my Hispanic neighbors are very nice. The people I have trouble with are usually plain White trash.

However, political correctness aside, there are some areas of Naples that have a very high percentage of Hispanics, mainly Golden Gate which is about 40%. I've been in a few stores where everyone is speaking Spanish. There are a couple of Spanish language newspapers and even a Spanish yellow pages. The largest concentration of Hispanic people in Collier County live in Immokalee, about 75%. That's a poor, very high crime area.

By the way, one thing I learned when shopping for a home in Golden Gate Estates is that there are a lot of home burglaries in the very secluded areas. Probably that only happens if there are abandoned houses on your street, but I looked at a home on a quiet street in the middle of nowhere and the kitchen cabinets had been stolen. The next door neighbor was kind enough to let me use his bathroom. (Hey, when ya got to go, ya got to go!) He told me the kitchen cabinets were stolen out of an owner occupied home across the road. Another popular item that attracts thieves is the air conditioner handler. In SW Florida there seems to be a new trend in mechanical robbery and the chances of being a victim increases if you live in an isolated area. I was told to buy a condenser cage when I purchase a new house to protect it from burglars.

Last edited by justNancy; 04-04-2009 at 02:00 AM..

Old 04-04-2009, 11:36 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,784,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTechBiniou View Post
Hi all,

While googleing over Naples, I couldn't help notice the big white rectangulars right East of Rural Estates in Naples. Can someone explain to me what are those big lands? You can find them at the end of Golden Gate blvd. E.
Those are farm fields.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:30 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,499 times
I've been in East Naples since 2001, either as a snowbird or full-time. I never knew that people considered Golden Gate as East Naples, although now that I think of it I guess it is east of Naples proper. Most people call Golden Gate, Golden Gate, however. What most people think of East Naples is now, because realtors are trying to drop the stigma of the name, called "South Naples". We lived in an older condo along Rattlesnake Hammock and now live in Verona Walk, both in East Naples. To be honest to the OP I don't think it's the safest area in all of Naples, but in all the years I've been here I've never seen a crime, either. I come from a suburb of NY and food shopped and such alone at night there, but don't feel comfortable doing it here. I'm probably just being paranoid, though, because from what I see the criminals go to North Naples to hit up the wealthy people, ha ha. And, again for the OP, the label "East Naples" does have a stigma. Naples is a snobby town and when you say you live in East Naples noses will turn up. I have heard that there are people in North Naples who won't even come down here in their cars because they think it's a bed of crime--which it certainly isn't! But, we here in East Naples are just as glad, because as someone else said we're closest to town, the traffic is WAY better, it's quiet, and the REAL people live here. Shhhhh, no one who lives on this side of town wants to let these secrets out. Seriously, I can't count how many times I've heard that comment from fellow East Naplers. Once you land here it grabs a hold of you. We had a choice to move when we bought our full-time home here, but stayed right where we like it--in East Naples! If ya gotta live in Naples (and I hope to get outta here fast for all the OTHER reasons people have posted that they don't like Naples) East Naples is not a bad place to live. But, North Naples is definitely overall considered to be THE place to live. Let's be honest to the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: