Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 06:36 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times

Advertisements

Oh, Nancy Lynne, how great is that!

Hey, girl, at 50, we're just coming into our own (I'm 52 and wouldn't go back for anything!). It's my philosophy that if things are meant to be, they'll happen easily for you.

As far as your son and his dad, I really hope they keep their relationship strong. It's possible. And it sounds like you encourage that, so that's a good thing.

If they're willing to pay to fly you down, you're most definitely on a really short list. You go, girl, you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:37 AM

62 posts, read 376,642 times
Congrats!!!

See, there are good jobs in Florida!!

Old 02-01-2007, 11:21 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
I had my third telephone interview with the SVP, Marketing today and it went great! They are flying me down next week to meet everyone...and I have to tell you..........."these native Naples floridians"....all the ones I have interviewed, have been refreshingly kind, down to earth, genuine, and professional. Very upbeat. Believe me, it has been the exact opposite with the interviews I have had here in the NJ/NY metro area. Here they have ALL been arrogant, somewhat condescending, ....why should I hire you...attitude, but not in a encouraging way.
There's a reason businesses in Naples have that attitude. They are DESPERATE for workers, absolutely desperate. In New York, I doubt your potential employers were desperate, at all. I'm sure they had far, far more applicants than Naples, so they had every opportunity to be highly selective and...arrogant.

So why are Naples businesses desperate for employees? The cost of living is too high. Not as high as New York, but you also get a much better salary in New York than in Naples.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:17 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
There's a reason businesses in Naples have that attitude. They are DESPERATE for workers, absolutely desperate. In New York, I doubt your potential employers were desperate, at all. I'm sure they had far, far more applicants than Naples, so they had every opportunity to be highly selective and...arrogant.

So why are Naples businesses desperate for employees? The cost of living is too high. Not as high as New York, but you also get a much better salary in New York than in Naples.

I will second this opinion....my company is hurting for employees...why? Because of the cost of living in Sarasota/Bradenton....I met a woman yesterday, consdering a move to Florida, to work for my company,....she would be moving from up north....now, why, wouldn't be much easier to hire someone from our area? Well, we know better.....I started out two years ago, at 42, been out of the work force for 15 years...built home, had kids, got divorced, spent up the money...etc....and NOW...I started at 10.50/hr back in 2004 and am now at 13.65/hr...THANK GOD!!!! I am planning on taking a course that would be most beneficial to my field, this month, and then doing the licensing that follows....that will make me a potentially better candidate in my line of work......but you don't know unless you try it....I like the suggestion of taking a year and trying...just rent an apartment! And yes, I do have a BA from Michigan State...as well, plus real estate school, plus grad school....

Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 PM

57 posts, read 244,082 times
Follow your dreams. You will kick yourself if you don't. Go.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdf718 View Post
Follow your dreams. You will kick yourself if you don't. Go.
I can come up with a cute saying, too.

Being happy is not a place, it's a state of mind.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 PM

317 posts, read 1,229,562 times
Default I love you guys!

Thank you ALL for your words of encouragement. And no, I didn't interpret ANY of your feedback as negative. It was ALL helpful.

I also know, from my relentless research on FL, that Naples is one of THE, if not THE most expensive place to live in FL. As you all also know, it is THE most overpriced location as well.

I am scared to death to get real excited. I haven't been this close to a real offer in years, and it is nowhere near a done deal yet. They haven't even met me in person! Ughhhh! Gotta go get my nails done and brush up the old "corporate suit"! ...I've been living in sweats so long!

I figured they contacted me because it is difficult to find employees there. I know that is why I've only received other "interest" - altho no one actually followed up with me to pursue the opportunity...from jobs in cities and states like Nebraska, Pittsburgh...and Toronto!

Oh boy am I scared. Not about the job...just that it won't happen.

Thanks everyone. And IF I do get the job (it is is Marketing)...if I have any influence to hire (even outside contractors) and you offer creative services...I promise to at least reach out to you!

Nancy

Old 02-01-2007, 01:16 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post

Being happy is not a place, it's a state of mind.
So is being unhappy.
Go get 'em, Nancy!
If the job does not happen, do not give up. We haven't.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:18 PM

Good luck Nancy. Despite my negativity with respect to Naples, I really do wish you the best. I guess I feel that if I harp on certain issues enough, something might change. It's naive, I know.

Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,263,356 times
Nancy, I was just wondering what your son's thoughts are about the whole thing. How old is he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples