Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:54 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
That's way too much work. Unless.....I can have the Fla one and my wife the NY. This way I'll stay down here all year.
Wish my wife would agree to something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 01:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
I am paying as much for a Mazda CX-9 in FL as I do for both a Jaguar XF and Acura MDX together in Illinois. Identical coverage on all cars. FL rates are out of sight. Double or more what they are in the Chicago suburbs. My agent in FL told me that 1 out of 4 drivers in FL are uninsured and that is why the rates are so high. I don't get it. If they can't show proof of insurance, they should not be able to renew a drivers license and should not be able to renew their plates. Why does FL go so easy on scofflaws? Other states sure do not.
You are correct. They can't. The people driving around without insurance either have expired licenses/plates or let their insurance policies lapse. It's only when they get pulled over that they're fined or arrested. You always need to show proof of insurance when renewing your registration.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You are correct. They can't. The people driving around without insurance either have expired licenses/plates or let their insurance policies lapse. It's only when they get pulled over that they're fined or arrested. You always need to show proof of insurance when renewing your registration.
I just renewed online and didn't have to show anything...

Old 12-22-2015, 08:17 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Now that I think about it, I recently renewed both vehicles online (Florida) and did not have to supply my insurance information. In NJ you definitely have to show proof every time you register or have the vehicle inspected.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:34 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you renew your registration online, you are only asked for proof of insurance if it's not on file. I renewed my FL registration online a few times.

[url=http://www.dmvflorida.org/car-registration.shtml]Car Registration Florida[/url]

"Many auto insurance companies provide insurance to Florida drivers. You must ensure the auto insurance company is licensed for Florida. If you are ever pulled over and cannot show proof of valid Florida auto insurance, your vehicle tag and registration can be suspended for up to three years or until proof of Florida insurance is provided."

This next link is to a site that isn't the official DMV site, but it explains it better in detail below.

[url]https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/registration-renewal.php[/url]

Renewing Your Florida Registration

FL Liability Insurance Requirements
To legally drive in Florida, you must maintain a minimum level of auto liability insurance at all times. If you no longer meet the state minimums or do not have coverage, you can't renew your FL registration.

Renew Online
You can renew your registration online up to 3 months before your registration expires. However, you can't use this option if your proof of insurance is not on file with the FLHSMV.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:49 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
If you renew your registration online, you are only asked for proof of insurance if it's not on file. I renewed my FL registration online a few times.

Car Registration Florida

"Many auto insurance companies provide insurance to Florida drivers. You must ensure the auto insurance company is licensed for Florida. If you are ever pulled over and cannot show proof of valid Florida auto insurance, your vehicle tag and registration can be suspended for up to three years or until proof of Florida insurance is provided."

This next link is to a site that isn't the official DMV site, but it explains it better in detail below.

https://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/registration-renewal.php

Renewing Your Florida Registration

FL Liability Insurance Requirements
To legally drive in Florida, you must maintain a minimum level of auto liability insurance at all times. If you no longer meet the state minimums or do not have coverage, you can't renew your FL registration.

Renew Online
You can renew your registration online up to 3 months before your registration expires. However, you can't use this option if your proof of insurance is not on file with the FLHSMV.
Makes sense, thanks.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,220 times
I am a disabled veteran and I stay 6 months out of the year with my parents in The Villages and the other 6 months in my home in Fl. Problem is that the Villages will not give me a resident ID card even though I live them for 6 months because of medical reasons. Does anyone know a way that I can show that I live with them in Fl every year for 6 months so I can use The Villages Ammenities.

Old 12-28-2015, 10:18 AM

38 posts, read 84,524 times
The majority of insurance companies notify the particular state electronically. Hence, that is why you don't have to always have to "physically show proof" when renewing, whether in person or via the internet. Why insurance agents don't inform their clients of these things is beyond me. Clients appreciate things like that (at least mine did).

Old 12-30-2015, 05:43 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiganne View Post
I am a disabled veteran and I stay 6 months out of the year with my parents in The Villages and the other 6 months in my home in Fl. Problem is that the Villages will not give me a resident ID card even though I live them for 6 months because of medical reasons. Does anyone know a way that I can show that I live with them in Fl every year for 6 months so I can use The Villages Ammenities.
You need to ask the Villages HOA management this question.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
I own property and a homestead in TX, but wound up having to live and work in FL. Bought and registered a separate vehicle in FL, and filed my federal taxes in Fl. Here is the problem, I can't get a license in FL due to my homestead property in TX. I really need to get a license in FL, what do I do? I've been fighting this for over two years and have even gone to court because I don't have,can't get a FL Drivers License. They are unforgiving here. I am actually considering putting my property in someone elses name but that also raises loads if legal issues! Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples