Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 03:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,811,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightlines View Post
5) We have two cars (different thread, but will pick up anyway). We keep one car in Florida; it stays in Florida, so we are able to register in in FL (FL plates), FL insurance. BTW, this is one nice side benefit for Florida homeowners. Some try to game the system by registering in FL and driving back and forth (if not a 6 month plus day resident)....not the intent of the law. That would be something your home state would focus on.
I haven't really researched it, but I suspect the car registration thing will be hard to keep both states happy if you drive the same car back and forth. I think MA wants a car registered there if it's in MA like 30+ days. And I forget the specs, but IIRC, FL wants your car registered there within a time frame of becoming a resident, so whichever way you go, one state won't be happy and may try to ticket you. Once we rent a place down the road, I'm changing my residency and voter reg to FL, and while MA may not like it, is what it is, not registering my car in MA once I'm a FL resident. We will, however, leave my wife's car with MA plates as it won't be traveling to/from FL.

Last edited by Bruins_Fan; 09-27-2016 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
I moved to Florida in 2004. All my vehicles are registered in Florida except my boat. The boat is in my fathers name and registered in Arizona with current tags. In the last 2 years I purchased a condo with my father with the intention of it becoming an income property when my family grows out of it. After 2 years my HOA decided that in order to keep the boat trailer in the designated lot I need to provide Florida registration. I was told by my HOA that Florida law requires Florida boat registration within 10 of moving to Florida. I thought this was only for cars, trucks and motorcycles? I learned that the hard way after beeping my horn at a police officer that almost backed into my car in a parking lot 14 days after moving to Florida. He wrote me a ticket for that and the vanity/dealer license plate frame on my truck. (Had no idea those were illegal since they come on every new car) So do I need to register the boat in Florida by law even though it is owned on the title by an Arizona resident and the house is titled to an Arizona LLC? Or is our HOA just making things up?

Old 10-11-2016, 04:46 PM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbrinkerhoff17 View Post
I moved to Florida in 2004. All my vehicles are registered in Florida except my boat. The boat is in my fathers name and registered in Arizona with current tags. In the last 2 years I purchased a condo with my father with the intention of it becoming an income property when my family grows out of it. After 2 years my HOA decided that in order to keep the boat trailer in the designated lot I need to provide Florida registration. I was told by my HOA that Florida law requires Florida boat registration within 10 of moving to Florida. I thought this was only for cars, trucks and motorcycles? I learned that the hard way after beeping my horn at a police officer that almost backed into my car in a parking lot 14 days after moving to Florida. He wrote me a ticket for that and the vanity/dealer license plate frame on my truck. (Had no idea those were illegal since they come on every new car) So do I need to register the boat in Florida by law even though it is owned on the title by an Arizona resident and the house is titled to an Arizona LLC? Or is our HOA just making things up?
90 days according to this:
https://www.flhsmv.gov/safety-center...ration-titles/

Old 03-07-2017, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
i was wondering if you ever got an answer to your question about the NYS inspecton. I also want to leave my car in florida without having to bring it back for inspection.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:39 AM

82 posts, read 155,205 times
If you want to know if you can leave your car in FL, and keep it registered/plated in NY, and not have the NY inspection done, no. NY will revoke your registration. I had the same issue - I drove the car back to NY to get it inspected and visited family for a few weeks.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
I live in nj and visit a friend in Florida several times a year. My plan is to register a car in nj but leave it in Florida at his home for when I visit . Does this pose a problem with my insurance?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindad2481 View Post
I live in nj and visit a friend in Florida several times a year. My plan is to register a car in nj but leave it in Florida at his home for when I visit . Does this pose a problem with my insurance?
Yes. You would need Florida insurance in that case. And would have to register the car in Florida if it is going to stay there.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,309 times
What are the disadvantages for a Connecticut resident have a home in Connecticut and also a home in Florida to become resident of Florida. I stay 7 months in Florida and 5 months in CT?

If I become FL resident can I keep one of car in CT? which state's insurance I do have to carry?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,361,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salimakhtar View Post
What are the disadvantages for a Connecticut resident have a home in Connecticut and also a home in Florida to become resident of Florida. I stay 7 months in Florida and 5 months in CT?

If I become FL resident can I keep one of car in CT? which state's insurance I do have to carry?
Auto insurance generally follows where the car is "garaged" and has nothing to do with legal residency.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:44 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
^ +1...we have dozens of friends at our western NC club and in our mountain neighborhood that are FL rez, but keep a car at their NC house, with NC plate/reg and NC insurance.

Rules and regs vary from state to state, but none of our friends have ever had a problem with an 'NC car' even though they are FL rez with FL driver licenses.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples