Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:09 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,047,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Also stuff like where you keep your wedding albums, yearbooks, trophys, jewlery, collectables on and on count. Derick Jetter attempted to say he was a Florida Resident and all the stuff imporant to him was in his NY pad and the Florida pad was just for spring training and vacations.

Folks who own a vacation home you know what I mean. You real valuables, herlooms, wedding gifts, photo albums from your childhood and keepsakes are always at the primary residence.
That is purely a matter of choice and has no official basis.
Length of time during the year, voter registration, tax matters, property and income are some of the things that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,343,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It's not because it's driven in NJ . It's where the car is 'domiciled' . (registered)
Insurance and registration must be in the same state
That's not true. When we first came down my car was registered in Illinois but I was required to have Florida insurance. I have since registered the car in Florida.

The question of residency varies state by state. There is no single answer. But the focus should be more on abandoning residency from wherever you are coming from rather than establishing residency elsewhere. States are always happy to have new residents and make it easy to do so. Leaving a state however can be very difficult, especially if significant income taxes are involved.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
That's not true. When we first came down my car was registered in Illinois but I was required to have Florida insurance. I have since registered the car in Florida.

The question of residency varies state by state. There is no single answer. But the focus should be more on abandoning residency from wherever you are coming from rather than establishing residency elsewhere. States are always happy to have new residents and make it easy to do so. Leaving a state however can be very difficult, especially if significant income taxes are involved.

How strange.
My insurance company would not keep me once I became a Fl resident and registered the car here.
I guess, though, it's possible if your insurance company is also registered to do business in the other state.
And as long as my car was registered in NYS, I had no requirement to have Florida insurance.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:43 PM
wjj

Quote:
How strange.
My insurance company would not keep me once I became a Fl resident and registered the car here.
I guess, though, it's possible if your insurance company is also registered to do business in the other state.
And as long as my car was registered in NYS, I had no requirement to have Florida insurance.
I think the state of Florida might disagree. Since my car was in Florida for several months I was told my Illinois coverage might not cover a Florida claim. I think if you look at Florida insurance requirements, they are pretty strict. Frankly I was surprised when Geico told me that if wanted to have coverage in Florida that I needed Florida insurance if the car was going to be there for any length of time. I talked to several Florida agents and they all said the same thing. The Florida DMV site says that non residents need to have Florida insurance if they have a vehicle in Florida for 90 days in any 365 day period. I know a lot of snowbirds ignore this, but maybe at their own peril. We were unsure whether we were going to bring the car back north or leave it down in Florida. We got Florida insurance after while prior to our making up our minds and then decided to leave the car in Florida and so registered it there.

If one has significant assets, why take the chance.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 9,255 times
Hello, I see in all the previous posts a variation of circumstances. I hope I can get some help with my particular circumstance. My mother and I are legal joint tenants on the deed of my mothers Home in Michigan. My mother lives in Tennessee 6 months out of every year, not always 6 months in a row. She comes back and fourth. Anyway, The Home mortgage, electric, gas, cable, homeowners insurance, all remain in her name.

We have worked out a deal between the two of us that I pay all the bills including the mortgage in the home in Michigan through out the entire year, so that she can have the money to rent her place in Tennessee. My Mother has very low income and can not maintain Michigan home and rent in Tennessee. My mother is giving me the home in Michigan, because I am paying off the mortgage, maintaining, repairing and fixing all maintenance issues such as furnace sewer and all things that pop up as a home owner.
After she went to Tennessee the first 6 months. Tennessee told her she had to change her drivers license within a month. She wanted to abide by Tennessee law so she changed her license. Her vehicle stays in Tennessee, so we thought no problem. When she comes home she fly's or we go and pick her up. Well, now we have run into an issue with the homeowners insurance which is escrowed through the bank.

We need to switch insurance companies. I am going to add the homeowners to my current insurance company were I insure our vehicles, so We can get the 35% discount on insurance. My mother insured her car in Tennessee, not realizing that the current homeowner insurance would increase 35% due to not having combined home and auto insurance. This 35% increase of insurance made the escrow go into the negative in march of this year. I did not know until the bank sent the end of the year escrow account disclosure statement. Now they are going to increase my monthly mortgage $200.00 per month, due to negative balance, needing a $600.00 cushion in escrow and anticipated increase in insurance cost for coming year. I can not afford the 200.00 a month increase.
I am trying to switch the insurance to my company so the projected escrow for coming year can be readjusted and Moneys left from previous insurance carrier will roll back into escrow and problem solved.

Now, hence the license issue In order for me to add my mother to my insurance and get the 35% homeowners discount I have to add her to one of my vehicles. Not a problem. The problem is, Mom changed her drivers license to a Tennessee license, she is not returning to Michigan for 4 months or so. She saves in order to make the trip and does not have the funds to return now, nor do I have the funds to help her return. If the home mortgage, electric, gas, cable, internet etc. all have remained in her name for the last 4 years and she has come back 6 mo. +1 day each year how can she maintain her Michigan licensee here were she is a resident when Tennessee made her change her license by law. Her car stays there and she rents a trailer there. When she is here we take here wherever she needs to go, so it has not been a problem.

Now what do we do with needing to put her on one of my cars. How can she maintain her Michigan license when Tennessee will not allow her to when she is there. All her responsibilities are here in Michigan. I handle it all, but did not foresee this issue. I do not want to loose the home, but can not afford the increase. Mom can not be in the cold weather very long due to health issues. I know its a lot, but In order to get the right answers the explanation is necessary. Please help with the license issue. Thank you

Last edited by Crissyk1; 12-20-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-23-2014, 05:56 AM

If she was staying in Tenn less than 6 months, she shouldn't have needed to switch her license.
However, she might have done something that implied her new permanent residency is Tenn, like changing her mailing address as permanent rather than temporary and/or changing her voter registration.
Things like that would trigger notices to switch other things.
Did she do any of that or is it possible in your state to have dual licenses, one in each state?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 9,255 times
Quote:
If she was staying in Tenn less than 6 months, she shouldn't have needed to switch her license.
However, she might have done something that implied her new permanent residency is Tenn, like changing her mailing address as permanent rather than temporary and/or changing her voter registration.
Things like that would trigger notices to switch other things.
Did she do any of that or is it possible in your state to have dual licenses, one in each state?

Nothing was changed. She has a mailing address in Tenn. but did not change anything. She still has all household bills in Michigan in her name, no changes. Tenn. told her that if she is there longer than 30 days she has to change her license, or be fined. So she did. I will have to look into the dual licenses for Michigan. Thanks for that info. Did not know anyone could have a dual license in any state.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,369 times
must a resident of florida with six months vehicle insurance (snow bird) re-registor the vehcile upon returningwithin the next six months period ???

Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,885 times
Do you have to live in Florida for 6 months and 1 day to register and insure a car there?

Old 02-28-2015, 09:44 AM
wjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Boyle View Post
Do you have to live in Florida for 6 months and 1 day to register and insure a car there?
No. We do not live down there for half the year and our car is both registered in FL (i.e., has FL license plates) and has FL insurance. If you look at the requirements, it is based on where the car is and not where you are. Our car stays down there year round so it needs to be registered in FL with FL insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples