Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 AM

10 posts, read 126,123 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I'm not actually a "snowbird" but I will have dual residency between NY & FL (Collier County).

Other than requiring new residents to obtain a driver's license and vehicle tags within 30 days, does anyone know if temporary or part-time residents are required to obtain a FL driver's license and/or vehicle tags?

Thanks for any input, have a great day!

Patsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
I dont think new tags, and driver license is an issue, for a seasonal resident. Not certain how someone obtains "dual" residency. Many folks here, that are seasonal residents, maintain their northern driver licenses, and tags. Do you own real property here? Probably advantageous for you to declare it as your "homestead" to get a break on the taxes. Pay state taxes in NY? Might be better to declare FL residency? Employed in FL? you may be a FL resident by default? It's illegal to vote in more than one place in a general election. Where you are registered to vote, I believe determines your residency. I could be wrong on that, but I believe it plays a major factor. What advantage is there to having "dual" residency anyways? Kinda curious...

Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 199,267 times
I also have that same question. We own our home in Oklahoma and place to purchase a mobile home in Florida on a rented lot and stay part of the year. What are the license requirements? We will be registered to vote in Oklahoma.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 PM

301 posts, read 1,153,782 times
You cannot be "residents" of two states (i.e. driverse license and voters rights). Once you apply for residency for one state, you sign away your rights to the previous state and they take your old drivers license.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 AM

2 posts, read 199,267 times
What I'm asking, is can we live in Florida on a part time basis and retain our residence in Oklahoma. We are going to be snowbirds and live in Oklahoma most of the year.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 AM

301 posts, read 1,153,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanie2008 View Post
What I'm asking, is can we live in Florida on a part time basis and retain our residence in Oklahoma. We are going to be snowbirds and live in Oklahoma most of the year.
Of course you can. You can live anywhere you want anytime you want. It's America. The rules only specify that you live in your "primary" residence at least 6 months out of the year.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
Default My neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvelte View Post
Of course you can. You can live anywhere you want anytime you want. It's America. The rules only specify that you live in your "primary" residence at least 6 months out of the year.
is a snowbird from Pa. He owns his own company there, and kind of telecommutes when he is here. Although he stays 6 months of the year in Florida, he doesn't stay 6 months consecutively. He has a van with Pa. plates and drives down.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 95,915 times
i live in a travel trailer spend equel yime in both states and have doctor in one state but in other cant get prescriptions filled because not a resedent any way to have duel resedence in two states cause it is a long ride in between

Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,541,470 times
I have homes in NJ, SC and FL. I just spent 5 months in Naples and am now in SC. I too am trying to decide how to handle residency. I know you are supposed to spend 6+ months in a state as a requirement. I don't think we will be spending 6 months in a row in any location. How do they check or how do you prove that you have live in one state for 6 months in a calander year?

Currently we are NJ residents. However I am leaning towards FL residency to avoid state income tax......

Old 03-31-2011, 09:13 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I have homes in NJ, SC and FL. I just spent 5 months in Naples and am now in SC. I too am trying to decide how to handle residency. I know you are supposed to spend 6+ months in a state as a requirement. I don't think we will be spending 6 months in a row in any location. How do they check or how do you prove that you have live in one state for 6 months in a calander year?

Currently we are NJ residents. However I am leaning towards FL residency to avoid state income tax......
Here is my non-barrister 50Cts, after doing a lot of reading on the issue:
as noted above, one can declare residency in FL, which requires voter reg, car reg, driver license, etc.

One can also claim their house/condo et al, where they live here in FL, as their domicile. One can then become 'homesteaded' here in FL, which caps or limits RE taxes, etc. Many benefits, if one chooses to do so.

After doing that process, Florida the state, doesn't really care how long one 'lives' here or, is actually in the state. You have become a 'resident', but the state, (FL), has no interest in when/how long one is actually here, going forward.

However, the state you were a legal resident of, before becoming a FL legal resident, may/will 'care'...if you keep that other residence, in your previous original domiciled state, that state may ask you to prove you were gone from/out of that state for 6 months and a day.

Any day(s) being 'outside' your former state count: trips to see the kids, vacays, etc. As long as one is not physically in their former state, for that 6+1 time cumulative time frame,one can usually be persuasive to that state's tax revenue dept, that you are no longer a rez there, and are 'gone' from the state for the usual 6 months and day hurdle or test. Some states vary, but most pivot on the 6+1 deal.

Tmozer: it should not matter where you are when and for how long; your current domiciled/legal state, eg driver lic, voter reg, et al, is where you actually 'are', currently: in your case NJ.

Apology for the lecture; just trying to answer several of the wonderments at the same time.
GL, mD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples