U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 3,662,159 times
I am NOT using the NE to compare Naples to. In fact, my comparison has more to do with Gainesville, where I lived, to Naples. The different in these two places is night and day. Gainsville had college kids and locals, probably Florida natives going back generations. I only disliked the weather there. I had no problem with the people or the "lifesytle". In fact, it was probably far more "southern" in culture than anywhere near where I am now. Naples is just plain strange. It just as well could be some tourist resort in the Caribbean, than in any state in the US.

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:18 PM

552 posts, read 105,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
IT ISN'T just beach season in the NE. That isn't when they make all their money from tourists. Much like Orlando, it YEAR ROUND because it isn't dependent on summer and beaches. There are other attractions.

Life doesn't just revolve around warm weather and beaches. People in other parts of the country have activities associated with the 3 seasons too.

Besides, the original topic was about NAPLES, not the NE, nor any other place in FLORIDA. Naples is very, very weird. This isn't just my opinion about Naples. Search out all the other posts about Naples.

I havent heard otherwise. All I hear about is how rude and nasty people there are. Never once heard anything different. I dont have to live there to know what it's like, I have heard it again and again, so I believe it.

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
For once I agree. I live in Ft. Myers and I make it a point to not go any further south on this coast than Bonita Springs. Naples and that part of Collier County really is one of the most snobbish places I have ever been to.
You know its kind of funny, but I wonder why places like Naples and Boca Raton have this snobby, arrogant way about it. I lived in Asheville NC and a lot of people in and around that area have a lot of money, a lot! I never got ran off the road, honked at for going the speed limit, NEVER! Could it be it's a different breed of people that decide to move to FL verus places like NC and TN? (BINGO)!

Unread 06-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I am NOT using the NE to compare Naples to. In fact, my comparison has more to do with Gainesville, where I lived, to Naples. The different in these two places is night and day. Gainsville had college kids andlocals, probably Florida natives going back generations. I only disliked the weather there. I had no problem with the people or the "lifesytle". In fact, it was probably far more "southern" in culture than anywhere near where I am now. Naples is just plain strange. It just as well could be some tourist resort in the Caribbean, than in any state in the US.
BINGO! One for the natives!

Unread 06-14-2009, 05:02 PM

You know its kind of funny, but I wonder why places like Naples and Boca Raton have this snobby, arrogant way about it. I lived in Asheville NC and a lot of people in and around that area have a lot of money, a lot! I never got ran off the road, honked at for going the speed limit, NEVER! Could it be it's a different breed of people that decide to move to FL verus places like NC and TN? (BINGO)!

Can anyone explain that? Asheville and surrounding areas population has increased considerably over the years, as has places like Charlotte, Raleigh, etc... but how come they dont have the foreclosure crisis like we do?
http://business.theatlantic.com/foreclosures.png (broken link)

Is it a different breed of people that move to NC compared to the people that move to FL?

Unread 06-14-2009, 07:12 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,963,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post

Can anyone explain that? Asheville and surrounding areas population has increased considerably over the years, as has places like Charlotte, Raleigh, etc... but how come they dont have the foreclosure crisis like we do?

Is it a different breed of people that move to NC compared to the people that move to FL?
I think Florida has always attracted more than it's share of uninformed investors who end up being taken for a ride. Probably the same is true in Las Vegas and some of those other places on your map.

And I've never been run off the road in Orlando.

Unread 06-14-2009, 07:41 PM

"I think Florida has always attracted more than it's share of uninformed investors who end up being taken for a ride. Probably the same is true in Las Vegas and some of those other places on your map.

And I've never been run off the road in Orlando."

^^^Not just uninformed investors but people that are all about themselves. Get-rich-quick schemes.

How long have you lived in Orlando? I think it is one of the worst place to drive, other than S FL. I'm from S FL, I wouldnt live there now, and even Orlando is getting close to the "all about me" and "get outta my way" types so common in S FL driving.

Raleigh NC has some BAD congestion/traffic... but I've never seen the stunts pulled up there like I do here, I've never seen the aggressive/arrogant behavior I've seen displayed down here. I wonder why.

Unread 06-14-2009, 07:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,026,349 times
Quote:
LOL, Visit Charlotte, and tell me how people don't get ran off the road, honked at, given the finger etc. It's the worst commuter traffic I've ever been in in 40 plus years of driving.

And no, it's not a different breed that chooses to move to one state or the other, but rather probably other desires/needs/wants. I certainly hope you don't think that people who choose to move to NC are better than people who choose to move to Florida, and that I read that wrong.

I personally think NC is the most rudest place I have ever lived, and I am refering to the Charlotte metro area not Asheville. I wouldn't live in Asheville though I had a job offer. Why? because to me their weather is crummy.

Not everyone here thinks it's heaven, just like not everyone in Naples thinks it's heaven. Just depends on what you need, job, weather, family, school, etc.

Heaven or what one perceives is their little slice of heaven, will depend on what that individual needs.

Unread 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,963,702 times
Quote:
"I think Florida has always attracted more than it's share of uninformed investors who end up being taken for a ride. Probably the same is true in Las Vegas and some of those other places on your map.

And I've never been run off the road in Orlando."

^^^Not just uninformed investors but people that are all about themselves. Get-rich-quick schemes.

How long have you lived in Orlando? I think it is one of the worst place to drive, other than S FL. I'm from S FL, I wouldnt live there now, and even Orlando is getting close to the "all about me" and "get outta my way" types so common in S FL driving.

Raleigh NC has some BAD congestion/traffic... but I've never seen the stunts pulled up there like I do here, I've never seen the aggressive/arrogant behavior I've seen displayed down here. I wonder why.
I haven't been here that long, but I don't see the constant Mad Max battlezone scenario on our roadways that you seem to encounter on a daily basis. On the other hand I don't sugarcoat what I do see--that's why I posted about the dogs in the road incident, cell phone drivers, etc. Maybe you need to move out of East Orlando to another part of the metro area.

Unread 06-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
LOL, Visit Charlotte, and tell me how people don't get ran off the road, honked at, given the finger etc. It's the worst commuter traffic I've ever been in in 40 plus years of driving.

And no, it's not a different breed that chooses to move to one state or the other, but rather probably other desires/needs/wants. I certainly hope you don't think that people who choose to move to NC are better than people who choose to move to Florida, and that I read that wrong.

I personally think NC is the most rudest place I have ever lived, and I am refering to the Charlotte metro area not Asheville. I wouldn't live in Asheville though I had a job offer. Why? because to me their weather is crummy.

Not everyone here thinks it's heaven, just like not everyone in Naples thinks it's heaven. Just depends on what you need, job, weather, family, school, etc.

Heaven or what one perceives is their little slice of heaven, will depend on what that individual needs.
Charlotte is a big city, and I know it has some congestion and traffic issues, but I've never had a problem driving there, and I find the people there to be (on average) friendly. I know it's little NYC now, so it's changed. It's not what it was, that's for sure (as far as how friendly it used to be). But if you are on this forum thinking you are going to move to FL, if you think Charlotte is bad and the people are rude, then atleast you'll be prepared for FL. Although charlotte cant even begin to compare to how rude and aggressive the Miami and Orlando and Tampa drivers are. Charlotte cant compete with those 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples