Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:35 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It's the water in the northeast. Seriously.

I found in the grocer freezer, the other day, frozen bread dough from Brooklyn. It was pretty good. You can really taste the difference. I wonder if I can find their website?

Wow. That took awhile. Here's the stuff. I found it in the organic frozen food section, but my local grocery store puts bird seed in the produce department, so who knows.

Real New York Pizza Dough at rnypd.com
I believe that I really do. My experience is with milk. I can't find any milk here that I can gag down...guess it's because I'm used to Midwestern milk.
My girlfriend from Long Island who lives down here by me said " why is the milk better in Ohio" I honest to pete don't know but it is, it truly is. Water? Grass? Cooler weather? I don't know.

You do miss your favorite foods, and or things you are used to "tasting" when you move out of state, that's for sure.

I had the best of both worlds Cleveland Oh and Pittsburgh PA, talk about great ethnic food both huge cities only 1/2 to 90 minutes away. yummie...it's just that it's too cold and too cloudy to live there for me.

But....this maybe something I'll think about when I move down. I'd really like to start something more Amish related, but the logistics would be a nightmare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 04:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
Default You probably have a higher butterfat content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I believe that I really do. My experience is with milk. I can't find any milk here that I can gag down...guess it's because I'm used to Midwestern milk.
My girlfriend from Long Island who lives down here by me said " why is the milk better in Ohio" I honest to pete don't know but it is, it truly is. Water? Grass? Cooler weather? I don't know.

You do miss your favorite foods, and or things you are used to "tasting" when you move out of state, that's for sure.

I had the best of both worlds Cleveland Oh and Pittsburgh PA, talk about great ethnic food both huge cities only 1/2 to 90 minutes away. yummie...it's just that it's too cold and too cloudy to live there for me.

But....this maybe something I'll think about when I move down. I'd really like to start something more Amish related, but the logistics would be a nightmare.
I am from NY too, but old enough to remember milk in glass bottles which could be delivered right to your door. Yes, even in NYC (Manhattan).

Old 09-12-2009, 04:43 PM

208 posts, read 612,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
I think it has to do with the grass. I would drive 1 hr to get milk from a grass fed cow farm. The milk was just so much better. A higher milk fat for sure, but its taste was just so different.

Meat, and dairy products from pastured animals are ideal for your health. Compared with commercial products, they offer you more "good" fats, and fewer "bad" fats. They are richer in antioxidants; including vitamins E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. Furthermore, they do not contain traces of added hormones, antibiotics or other drugs. Extra Omega-3s. Meat from grass-fed animals has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain- fed animals. The CLA Bonus. Meat and dairy products from grass-fed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called "conjugated linoleic acid" or CLA.

Maybe 167878
would open a grass fed dairy farm. Sell good ice cream and play music in the background. They say music and grass make for Happy Cows...Ooops! There I go again, thinking of my taste buds...how insensitive of me.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:20 PM

108 posts, read 317,761 times
Well, thanks for all the input. No the deomographics certainly don't support music. I understand your 'love' of food, but in all, it is yet vanity. I mean really, there are greater things that this life is meant for, and not for your or anyones sole enjoyment. Maybe if you spoke of healthy foods for a healthy life, not unhealthy etc, just for taste/instant gratification- but yes, we are weak and fall for the easier path. By this I mean, you work to live, you eat to live, you (hopefully) die to live... other than live to die, as so many.

--But really, i've been considering starting a 'healthy' / green 'movement' /business in the town- b/c really, there's no price on your health--annd i'm sure plenty would give up thier material riches for health am i right? And maybe w/ the average age of...........65.......... it could boom? but, idk, it doesnt seem people are interested in doing what it takes to be strong and healthy, they'd rather be weak and lazy...
wha'd u think?

Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin4 View Post
I think it has to do with the grass. I would drive 1 hr to get milk from a grass fed cow farm. The milk was just so much better. A higher milk fat for sure, but its taste was just so different.

Meat, and dairy products from pastured animals are ideal for your health. Compared with commercial products, they offer you more "good" fats, and fewer "bad" fats. They are richer in antioxidants; including vitamins E, beta-carotene, and vitamin C. Furthermore, they do not contain traces of added hormones, antibiotics or other drugs. Extra Omega-3s. Meat from grass-fed animals has two to four times more omega-3 fatty acids than meat from grain- fed animals. The CLA Bonus. Meat and dairy products from grass-fed ruminants are the richest known source of another type of good fat called "conjugated linoleic acid" or CLA.

Maybe 167878
would open a grass fed dairy farm. Sell good ice cream and play music in the background. They say music and grass make for Happy Cows...Ooops! There I go again, thinking of my taste buds...how insensitive of me.
I can't agree enough with your post! Fabulous!

I try to only eat grass fed cows and although I personally don't drink milk, I buy organic, local milk. It is in glass bottles that you return to the store! TANaples, I remember the milkman, too!

Try your local organic grocery stores to see if you can find milk that you really, really like. I see that Naples has some.

Oh, gawd, my obese-self simply cannot stop posting about food.

Here's some links of great finds in Naples, which are not worthless.

SunSplash Market & Deli - Your Neighborhood Organic and Natural Health Food Store - 850 Neapolitan Way Naples, FL 34103

Search - LocalHarvest

Welcome to Food & Thought Organic Market & Restaurant

Take a look at these worthy people!

Naples Farmers Market

Naples Home | WholeFoodsMarket.com

Old 09-12-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
Well, thanks for all the input. No the deomographics certainly don't support music. I understand your 'love' of food, but in all, it is yet vanity. I mean really, there are greater things that this life is meant for, and not for your or anyones sole enjoyment. Maybe if you spoke of healthy foods for a healthy life, not unhealthy etc, just for taste/instant gratification- but yes, we are weak and fall for the easier path. By this I mean, you work to live, you eat to live, you (hopefully) die to live... other than live to die, as so many.

--But really, i've been considering starting a 'healthy' / green 'movement' /business in the town- b/c really, there's no price on your health--annd i'm sure plenty would give up thier material riches for health am i right? And maybe w/ the average age of...........65.......... it could boom? but, idk, it doesnt seem people are interested in doing what it takes to be strong and healthy, they'd rather be weak and lazy...
wha'd u think?
It is hard to say if it would take off. I have a daughter that is green and owns a health food store. It took a while to get going and is fizzling out now that the economy is tanked. Also I have a grandmother that is 88, completely healthy, takes no meds, and lives a healthier life than most people who think they are green. She hasn't been to a traditional Dr in 40+ years.
I believe in eating right and sometimes indulging in pleasures too. I have lupus and rsd. My husband has a severe lung disease and has actually died twice. We live to live. We live every day as a new entertaining, exciting adventure. That is why I see Florida in a different way then you do. I don't look for what is missing, but for what is there. When you actually see death, you see life so much clearer. You learn to favor and enjoy all the simple pleasures, including eating! LOL! Seriously, you need to lighten up. Life really is too short. Enjoy a sundae, eat something delicious, savor it.

I need more examples of what you think it is to be green. Everyone has different views on what green really is. To me, a nice health food store, an organic restaurant (I know the food again, but you need to eat, right?) Yoga in the park or on the beach? I have seen bike tours in downtown Naples. What else does green mean to you, besides your previous posts with bands playing music and stuff? A place to read? A place to hang out and discuss philosophies? Bang on your little drum (I don't remember what they are called). Sorry, I just need more info to understand what you are trying to gather info on.

With the economy the way it is, I am sure it would take a while to get off the ground. Could it work here? I am not sure. Some senior people are very health concerned. Some of us middle agers are too. I don't know about the bands and stuff, I wouldn't want to sit around with a bunch of 20 year olds and listen to them tap on their drums or listen to the music they listen to. So, what would you have to offer the seniors and the almost there generations that inhabit this beautiful city? Really, most of the people that move here are older than 40 and come here because there isn't all the groups of long haired, wanna be hippies, spreading their eating habits and values to us. We are past that in our lives. Otherwise, we would have moved to FT Myers or Sarasota, or some place on the Atlantic coast. We value the quietness, cleanliness, serenity of Naples.
So again what is it you are looking to do?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Yep, I've been to Whole FOods, ...basically overshadowed any of my hope..

Old 09-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Wellllllllllllllll I'm trying to make a living b/c i'm not a rich retiree, and dont have the time to enjoy the city i live in, or the rude people in it....(really, most everyone here is rude,-[not to say u], but you'd get a disgusting look if you were kind enough to smile at someone...unfriendly northerners..funny, cuz up in NY, people were nice??wow...)..construction is dead... and retail job/ ANY store/restaurant around doesnt pay enough to eat from/feed a family...forget about the music, this is the last place in the USA to ever have any music louder than 60db.....the only way to make it is owning a business...just curious as to what the hell business would strive in naples....yep

Old 09-12-2009, 08:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 167878 View Post
Wellllllllllllllll I'm trying to make a living b/c i'm not a rich retiree, and dont have the time to enjoy the city i live in, or the rude people in it....(really, most everyone here is rude,-[not to say u], but you'd get a disgusting look if you were kind enough to smile at someone...unfriendly northerners..funny, cuz up in NY, people were nice??wow...)..construction is dead... and retail job/ ANY store/restaurant around doesnt pay enough to eat from/feed a family...forget about the music, this is the last place in the USA to ever have any music louder than 60db.....the only way to make it is owning a business...just curious as to what the hell business would strive in naples....yep
I would suggest that you contact these people to help you formulate a business plan that you will need to get financing. Have you ever run your own business? Banks like to see that you have some experience before backing someone.

SCORE Naples | Counselors to SW Florida's Small Businesses

Old 09-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I would suggest that you contact these people to help you formulate a business plan that you will need to get financing. Have you ever run your own business? Banks like to see that you have some experience before backing someone.

SCORE Naples | Counselors to SW Florida's Small Businesses
That is a wonderful idea. I didn't even think of that. My daughter went to something similar in Pa before she started her store. They even helped her get a special grant for setting up in a needy area (right by a college, where most young people nowadays are into the healthy living).

They might even know where you can get tips and training on how to set up a business plan to take to the bank for funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples