Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 13,961 times

Advertisements

my wife and I are 29 years old. We live in california and were thinking about renting a home out there for the winter and maybe buying something to use during the times of the year there's too much chill in cali.

We found a great home on a canal in vanderbilt. I'd like to hear some info on the area other than from my realtor. I know it's a pricy area so I'm not expecting all the homes to be filled by 20 somethings but are there at least some people my age in the area? Or will I be the youngest on the block by a fair amount and able to make any friends? Does the place literally turn off at 9pm or will there be a few things to do? Close to the beach and shopping with traffic? Good boating activites, islands to visit, restraunts to boat to etc?

any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Anything can happen, and you could get lucky and find a neighbor, but don't count on it.

We were in our 30s and 40s in the area and the mass of retirees drove us away. Just not the place.

Try South Beach or something.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:49 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Don't do it!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,961 times
well that's what I was afraid of. The problem with that south beach area is that I don't want to have to shell out 6000+ to rent a canal home with a lift......The purpose of the this trip is really to establish a home base in a area where we genuinely have interest in purchasing a home and using it as a home base to check out that area and the few others we're interested in first hand and maybe buy something. sarasota and lauderdale

i just can't seem to find anything in those areas that are quick to open water with a lift that a reasonably priced.....I just don't want to get carried away on the rental price because at a certain point I feel like i'm just wasting money.

what about fort myers. there was a nice home there on the calahasatooche (man i hope that was spelled right) ...it's a street or two south of the landings yacht and tennis club. It's actually on the river which is pretty cool. Would that be a well to do, safe, possibly younger more happening area?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:23 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Age demographics trend much lower but it is slightly deceiving. There is not a lot of people in your age group that will be in your tax bracket, so the chances are good that you will not have young neighbors. And The Landings is mostly a snowbird haven. You have a better chance than you would in Naples, though.

You'll have to check it out, I think.

Personally, I'd head to Sarasota or Lauderdale.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkinOMovin View Post
my wife and I are 29 years old. We live in california and were thinking about renting a home out there for the winter and maybe buying something to use during the times of the year there's too much chill in cali.

We found a great home on a canal in vanderbilt. I'd like to hear some info on the area other than from my realtor. I know it's a pricy area so I'm not expecting all the homes to be filled by 20 somethings but are there at least some people my age in the area? Or will I be the youngest on the block by a fair amount and able to make any friends? Does the place literally turn off at 9pm or will there be a few things to do? Close to the beach and shopping with traffic? Good boating activites, islands to visit, restraunts to boat to etc?

any info would be great.
I'll try to answer point by point:

Age-I doubt you will find anyone there your age range. Naples Park, yes-Vanderbilt Beach, no.

9PM-There is little nightlife in Naples and pretty much zero where you are talking about.

Beach/Shopping-Yes you will be close to both. Traffic is awful in the winter. there are plenty of stores and restaurants nearby.

Activities-Plenty of boating activities but the restaurants and islands will be further south.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:00 PM

63 posts, read 248,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Personally, I'd head to Sarasota or Lauderdale.
Sarasota is worse. Trust me... you'll want to bring a coffin. The dead ones are everywhere.

I live in what many people call an older area. Don't mind it - I'm on an island, right near family and have lots of friends in my age group (under 30). I'm in a different bracket than lots of those under 30 and have no complaints and we all get along, from the rich (Port Royal but you wouldn't know it) and not-so-rich. I do not have any older friends over 35 although as you get up in the ages there are more people. I lived for years in Boston and other younger cities and had my no-restraints fun. I have plenty of fun here, go out regularly and love the water. I guess I'm weird since I also love the summers (then again I was born in FL).

A lot of living in a place depends on how you socially interact with others and if you are affected with every little detail of other people or not. It is a beautiful area and contrary to popular belief there is plenty to do here if you are young, especially if you have some money to go out. There are plenty of places open until 2 or 2:30 in and around Naples, Bonita and north. Most here claim there isn't but then again they don't go out.

If you are into boating, this is hands-down the best area to boat in the state. Everywhere from Marco Island to Captiva is great. We're pretty much out every weekend. Lots of boating restaurants, places to see, etc. Then again, if you don't boat and can't go out and you don't do any activities here, then I don't know why one would want to live here.

As far as the Caloosahatchee River, there are a lot of nice neighborhoods up and down that area. Boating is okay (lot of slow zones, water is brown in summer, etc) but there are a lot of boaters and a lot who like it. Downtown Ft. Myers has some spots and a younger crowed (some places are a good time; some attract a crowd that isn't my kind of crowd).

Just my opinion, nothing more.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM

13 posts, read 33,463 times
Stick with Naples, better deal for the money than Lauderdale and a better age mix than Sarasota. Plus, IMHO Naples is more "Midwestern/East Coast" and Ft Myers is basically "Deep South."

Vanderbilt Beach wouldn't be a bad idea, if you can drive 5 minutes to the Mercato at VBR/41 you'll find younger people. Plus, there are a lot of younger couples/families spread around NW Collier County and you'd find you'll fit in. It's just a challenge to find the places where those of us who are younger congregate.

Once you start to meet your age group/tax bracket, you'll find more and more people as everyone else is looking to socialize.

We left Chicago's young trendy neighborhoods to come here for a change and have made plenty of friends around our age and found lots of places to go. It just takes time. Buying a place W of 41 btw Bonita and Old Naples (as long as you don't get fooled by someone that bought in the 1990s and insists their place is worth 30% more than current comps) is the closest to a "sure thing" long term investment you'll find in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples