Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:14 PM

191 posts, read 632,834 times

Advertisements

Thanks Tom im a bit nervous i'm even thinking about Sarasota which i hear alot about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:14 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Just know that it is not going to be easy getting a job for you and your girlfriend. The situation is worse down there. Walmart isn't hiring.

You need to read that link. There are no jobs in that stimulus package in Naples. Not now, anyway. The hiring is done.

http://stimuluswatch.org/2.0/perform...L/34109/naples

Last edited by hiknapster; 02-03-2010 at 10:23 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 AM

917 posts, read 2,615,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlopes26 View Post
Thanks Tom im a bit nervous i'm even thinking about Sarasota which i hear alot about.
I'd be nervous too. Moving here is a risky idea. If you lay out a lot of money for housing. (security, first and last months rent, deposits for utilities) and than eat up additional savings while looking for work. Will you still have enough funds to get out of Florida if things don't work out?

If you expect your future employment to be related to construction, this really, isn't the place to move to.

hiknapster linked to the stimulus package page for Naples. I already checked it out yesterday. I wasn't very impressed. She's a very informed member here. She's trying to keep you from making a costly mistake.

The affordable areas of Sarasota seem to have a lot of crime. The job situation up there isn't much better.

I don't understand something. If you have a sister here who is involved in real-estate, why would you think that
there is a lot of new construction going on? Are you talking about road work?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:06 AM

Yes we do. When i was there i saw alot of roadwork and "communities" building. My school says the % is hiring even now in florida as a whole is 80 % but didn't give me a range of how long i'd have to wait also gives me "job placement". i can always travel some for work and move if necessary i would rent first. Yes my sister does real estate which is my other option. I'd need to get my license and do the bpo's which is" surveys" for pricings of houses which my sister does there and does fairly well. im willling to work anywhere to start. I will try to secure employment b4 anything. My gf does accounting and bookeeping which all businesses need so i feel she could get somthin office type work but we are both gonna try secure employment b4 hand.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 AM

For the beginning i could move in with my sister til im stable also.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,837 times
The "Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County" thread is a good place for Naples information.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:33 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
I don't know what construction you are talking about. I-75 has some going on but the main part is already open. It seems that your school-which is in NJ, right?-doesn't have a realistic grasp on the construction opportunities.

The thing you have going for you is you can live with your sister and she has at least temporary work for you. Looking past that, I think your prospects are pretty slim.

Onto your other questions...

Traffic-horrendous in the winter, fine in the summer.

Safety-Nearly all of Naples is safe. There are pockets of bad places which are easy to avoid.

Kids-Naples is a wealthy retirement community run by wealthy retirees. The economy and political machine reflect this. Kids are not a priority here. That doesn't mean it is awful, it means schools and community support for kid's activities is lacking. They closed the indoor roller skating rink and opened up a bingo hall.

What does your sister think about you moving here? Is the real estate business good for her right now?

Last edited by RMD3819; 02-04-2010 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 02:14 PM

Well she is doing "broker opinions" and yes it's good for her bc there are alot of short sales and foreclosures and what she does is go out to the property take pictures and fill out forms for companies and give it a value.. So if i got my real estate license i could do that i help her right now from NJ doing the surveys. Well the school i was going to attend is in Lecanto florida for 3 weeks then i'd pick my place to find employment and they'd help me secure it. I could even do my CDL and get guaranteed work after but that's another stroy im lookin at all my options .

Old 02-04-2010, 02:44 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
If you can tag onto your sister's business then by all means do it while you look at other options. Most people who post here don't have that choice. I think you need some schooling for a RE license, although I'm not sure.

Lecanto is about 250 miles from Naples so you'll need housing there unless it comes with the school.

A CDL is not that difficult. If you can get a job lined up then that will be another good area to explore.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Yes i do have some options. That school has housing. Most CDL schools have jobs lined up workign with them or recruiters for a year or you can pay less for no placement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples