Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
 [Register]
Naples Collier County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Well I guess I will just shut up until I have an opertunity to experience a full year of Florida weather. When that happens (and I will be hoping to give it a try some year soon) and I find that, yes, Florida summers are worse than Jersey summers, I will admit to my feelings. But I still believe with all my heart that a summer in SW Florida is better than a summer in NJ. I already know that a winter in Florida is much much better than a winter here!
You really need to experience a full year. As hipknapster said you will go back to lower temps, while in FL it stays like this through October.

It isn't so much the heat( have lived in dry heat) it is the humidity that gets you. I really don't know how those who are very heavy get by here. I am on the slim side and I find it to be brutal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 02:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Why not move the inlaws to where you want to be and then you will no longer be suffering in the oppressive Florida weather.

Houses sell every day in Fl.

If you are here, why complain (constantly) when you can change your situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Not everyone who comes to Florida does so by choice, we came here due to my elderly inlaws who needed help. You like the heat and humidity...good for you, not everyone does.

In regards to leaving this isn't the 1800s where you just load up the wagon and go, lots of people are trying to leave FL.....try selling a house here.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:47 PM

60 posts, read 285,026 times
I so glad to be in Naples where it's so much cooler than up north.

Right now it's only 78.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:58 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Yes, it is brutal in Central NJ. The temperature gadge on my backyard shed (which was in the shade) read 110 this afternoon. The car temp reading was 102. It's even roasting on the beach! The worst thing though is the lack of rain. It has not rained where I am in three weeks. Oh, and also the lousy air. When I did my walk this morning at 8 am I was sucking air the whole way......

Old 07-07-2010, 10:07 AM

173 posts, read 155,822 times
SWFL in the Winter, South East England in the Summer - now that's the good life

Old 07-07-2010, 01:29 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Anyone that is that freaked out by a heatwave up north will never make it the entire summer in swFlorida.

Naples: 105 with heat index
Jersey: 96 with heat index.

And it is mostly cloudy in Naples! Dewpoint is 70 in Brick and 78 in Naples. ENORMOUS difference.

Take your friend's advice and go to GB in the summer and Naples in the winter. You'll thank me later. Sheesh.

Oh, and btw, Murrell's Inlet has a dewpoint of 68.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
I mostly live in Naples, but am on Long Island in NY right now. My husband is in our Naples home, however. It's hotter here on Long Island----and I don't have a pool in my back yard up here. By the way, it's also a WHOLE LOT buggier here on Long Island!!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:41 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
TANapels, sorry to disappoint, but I'm sitting on LI at this very minute and believe me IT IS HUMID, STICKY AND HOT. But then again, it's summer on an island sitting in the
Atlantic ocean, so what else can we expect, ha ha.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Umm. No it is not. It's quite a bit more comfortable in LI, right now.

I'm going to talk very slow now and spell it all out...

LI

Temp 88 dewpoint 67 heat index 91 Humidity 50 percent

Naples

Temp 89 dewpoint 77 heat index 102 Humidity 68 percent

Dewpoint chart:

Higher than 80 °F Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses Humidity 65% and higher

75 - 80 °F Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive 62%

70 - 74 °F Very humid, quite uncomfortable 52% - 60%

65 - 69 °F Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge 44% - 52%

60 - 64 °F OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge 37% - 46%

55 - 59 °F Comfortable 31% - 41%

50 - 54 °F Very comfortable 31% - 37%

For you folks in the northeast, I understand. I use to think it was sooooooo hot and sooooooo humid up there. Yeah. Then I moved to swFlorida.

Fortunately, the heat doesn't really bother me. I'm one of those people that doesn't whine about weather. I figure there are bigger problems to deal with. But I did live for ten years, every day of the year, in Florida, and there is no comparison. And a simple check of the temp, or even the humidity, sometimes, does not give an accurate picture.

I know you people are not meterologists, but come on now. SwFlorida is in the subtropics. What the heck do you expect? If you all think it is so much nicer in Naples then I suggest that you move down there on a daily basis for 10 years. Then you can tell me the National Weather Service is lying.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
No one who is honest will claim to love very hot, humid weather with a high dew point. If I could control the weather the humidity always would be low, the high for the day would be 80 and the low for the night would be 65 where ever I was at. It would be sunny all day and rain late each night.

Florida would not be Florida without Florida weather. The humid heat comes with all the Florida perks that I enjoy. Hot and humid in the NE brings none of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Naples
View detailed profiles of: