U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 PM

163 posts, read 272,710 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Smyrna. We have looked at houses in La Vergne, Smyrna, and Murfreesboro. From what I can see on here, most recommend staying away from La Vergne. Most of the houses we have found online that we like are in Murfreesboro. Any part of the city that is better than others? We have a 2 year old so we want to make sure the area is safe. Murfreesboro seems to have mixed "reviews", some say stay away, others say it is great. We would like a country feel just because we have 2 outside dogs that we want a nice size back yard for. Any other areas we need to look at? We do have a realtor looking for us but opinions/suggestions from others in the area would be great.

Also, we have pets...7 total...does any city, county, or subdivisions have regulations on how many animals you can have? All are up to date with shots and well taken care of. Also, do you recommend a good vet?

And with a 2 year old, any good pedictrians in the area?

Thanks! Just found out the move will be around August...or at least that is when my hubby is to start. We have to sell our house first, which we are putting on the market tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 PM

731 posts, read 1,512,222 times
Congrats on the job offer and welcome to the area!

While there are a few nice areas of LaVergne, the overall reputation of the city is not positive and it's best to avoid the stigma of a LaVergne address. Due to it's proximity to Antioch I don't see this changing anytime in the near future and wouldn't advise investing in property there.

Most of Smyrna and Murfreesboro are perfectly fine and safe areas in which to raise a family. They are both middle-class, diverse towns with plenty of shopping, dining and activities for younger children. If you want a larger lot outside of an HOA (who probably would impose restrictions on the number of pets you may own) you'll want to look outside city limits.

My initial impression is that the Lascassas & Walter Hill areas might be a good fit for you. It's an easy drive into Smyrna for your husband and close to Murfreesboro for shopping, medical appointments and extracurricular activities for your little one. This area is more rural than most others in the county and you might find larger lot sizes there. Christiana is also more rural but is much further away from Smyrna and the daily commute might quickly become tedious.

As far as I know, neither Smyrna or M'boro imposes limits on the number of domesticated animals one may own (as long as you're not a crazy cat-lady or animal hoarder who doesn't keep up with shots!) but there are restrictions on owning farm animals like chickens, goats, etc. You'll want to be sure to check HOA or neighborhood regulations about this before submitting an offer. The small development across the street from me all have large lots ranging from 2 to 10 acres and surprisingly, while they don't have an HOA micromanaging their lives, there are legal restrictions on owning livestock and multiple domesticated pets. You have to be sure to ask up front.

As for vets, we take our pets to Animal Medical Center on River Rock Rd. in Murfreesboro. They are the only 24/7 emergency animal hospital in the county and I like knowing that if something happens to one of my pets, they have their complete medical and vaccination records on hand. Our husky broke his leg when he was just 6 months old and all the vets at this clinic went above and beyond in caring for him. He had an external fixator placed for 6 weeks that required 2x weekly bandage changes and the vets and techs took care of all these for me (I'm too squeamish) with no complaints, minimal waiting and no extra charges.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the fast response. The realtor knows we have animals...3 dogs and 4 cats to be exact...and that we want a nice size lot. All of our animals are gentle...the youngest is a 3 year old Maltese/Yorkie Mix dog. We have found two houses that are in subdivisions but are in the county, not city. We hope to go look at several houses in the area next weekend.

Someone said Walter Hill is not that good due to the Land fill or a water treatment plant, can't remember which hubby said he was told about...but again we haven't been up there yet.

And thanks for the vet recommendation! My furbabies are my family so I want the best for them. One of our dogs is on the beginning stages of arthris (sp?) so we have to keep an eye on her. We are worried about the trip too...3hr drive...since she doesn't do well traveling. She has started having seizures after a car ride to the vet which is only 10 mins from our house now. I plan to visit our vet soon to get all paperwork and tips on making the trip.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:43 PM

731 posts, read 1,512,222 times
You're very welcome. If you're looking at homes in subdivisions built within the last 15 years, be sure to ask your realtor point blank about neighborhood restrictions. Before HOAs became commonplace, legal restrictions were pretty rare in this area and I've known a couple of people who were surprised by the additional paperwork at closing. It's a little different since there are no maintenance fees to pay to an association so it's not as straightforward. If you find a house you really like it might be a good idea to talk to a neighbor or 2.

There is a huge landfill located in Walter Hill just off Highway 231 and I wouldn't recommend living in close proximity, but it certainly doesn't rule out Walter Hill or Lascassas in their entirety.

Feel free to send me a direct message if you have any questions about specific areas you're looking at. I'm a stay-at-home Mom of 2 who's lived in Rutherford County practically my whole life and willing to help out in any way I can!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:39 PM

Thanks! We have several houses we want to look at...we thought we had it narrowed down but then we found more and the realtor found more...we might take it in stages...our top 5, then go from there if none of them suit us.

It will be a couple of months at least since hubby doesn't start his job until August and we really want to sell our current home first...the longer I am here, there longer I have a job. Though hubby is not going to push me to get a job once we move since he knows I have been wanting to be a stay at home mom since we brought our daughter home. So that is a good thing about the move....I am nervous since I am very close to my family and now they will be 3hrs away, but I will be ok. I got my husband and my daughter...and our furbabies, so I will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville