Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times

Advertisements

We are a middle aged married couple. I am from the UK, my husband is American. We have two adopted daughters, one from China and one from Ethiopia. We love the Franklin area and have wanted to move there for the past 5 years from FL (it reminds me of home) Simple question, will we be welcomed with our diverse family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 08:32 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Yes, no problem.

I know quite a few families who have adopted multiracial children in this county.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:51 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Absolutely. The white couple across the street (he's a teacher at the local high school) have an adopted black son. NICE kid. And I see all sorts of Moms at Publix with kids of all colors. Really? Franklin reminds you of the UK???? Hmm . . . I don't 'see' England here. The light is brighter. But then it's not as bright as Florida. Maybe the green hills??? Don't wait, come on up!

Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
We live in Williamson County and we know so many families who have adopted from both countries. In fact, I know the finer points of African American hair care from a soccer practice I was at with 2 friends who both adopted from Ethiopia. You will fit in great here.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:46 PM

940 posts, read 1,902,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Absolutely. Really? Franklin reminds you of the UK???? Hmm . . . I don't 'see' England here. The light is brighter. But then it's not as bright as Florida. Maybe the green hills??? Don't wait, come on up!
About 6~7 years ago I was perusing the website of Richard Thompson, super-prolific songwriter, and early member of Fairport Convention, a late '60's British folk-rock group. I read his answer to a fan asking how he liked living in Tennessee. His answer was that the terrain around Williamson County reminded him of the English countryside, this from a Brit.

His songs have been covered by well-known top artists, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Thompson_(musician)

His website: Welcome to BeesWeb - The Official Site of Richard Thompson

I bought one of his CD's about 15 years ago, very high quality, nobody's voice sounds anything like his.

Last edited by groovamos; 08-01-2010 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-01-2010, 04:59 PM

41 posts, read 212,519 times
Anyone with a big heart will fit in here, and it sounds like you have one! I know some churches in the area that really support foreign adoption such as Christ Community Church and StrongTower. Franklin is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 08-03-2010, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,801 times
Thank you all for the reponses, we can't wait to get there, we are so looking forward to the true four seasons again and yes its the beautiful countryside up there that reminds me of home :-)

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,250 times
Just browsing at the Fresh Market in Brentwood yesterday and saw a Caucasian mom with white daughter, Asian daughter and black/Latino (not sure) son.

I see more white parents with presumably adopted non-white children here than any other place I've ever been.

As Ellygirl67 said, I think people here have big hearts and I admire the fact that parental love here seems colorblind.

Hope you are able to make the move to Franklin and that you and your family find happiness there!

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM

22 posts, read 42,330 times
Threads like these need a Facebook style 'LIKE' button :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: