U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:17 PM

51 posts, read 130,466 times

Advertisements

I'm brand new to town and need some help/advice. Granted I haven't seen it all yet but driving around most of Williamson county (Franklin, Belle Meade, Forest Hills, Brentwood, etc...) it seems like all I see are 6,000+ sq. foot homes with huge yards and immense churches. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that and the area is very aesthetically appealing and I mean to take nothing away from it, however, I'm starting to wonder where everyone else lives in this area who's not loaded or some form of celebrity. Are there any ordinary middle class people in this area and if so where do they live? Where are the more compacted neighborhoods (just a small yard will do) of 150-200k homes? I've seen very few condo's/town-homes and apartments as well. I don't mean this post to sound condescending or anti Williamson county, I'm not, I just haven't seen it all (or for that matter all of the surrounding Nashville burbs yet) and I need some help and/or advice on where to possibly look to rent. (not looking to buy for at least another year or so) Maybe homes and yards here are just much larger than most other places in the US, I don't know?
Someone please enlighten me on what's going on in Williamson Co. and the rest of Nashville. Thanks so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,099,871 times
Williamson is one of the wealthiest counties in the whole country. So McMansions and real mansions do make up a large part of the housing stock.
While Brentwood is very wealthy you can find middle and lower priced areas in parts of Franklin. Spring Hill and Fairview are also solidly middle class. Just keep looking.

Although I don't understand why you would want to live in Williamson if your budget was 150-200k??

Also, Belle Meade and Forrest Hills are solidly in Davidson County.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 08-05-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:05 PM

133 posts, read 178,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post

Although I don't understand why you would want to live in Williamson if you're budget was 150-200k??
Schools and quality of life could be a major reason.

But I do agree, you aren't going to find much in Brentwood for under 200,000 unless it needs lots of love or lots of updating (probably both to be honest though). I would go over to realtracs.com and search there. I know it gets recommended a lot but it really is a great resource. Currently there are 2 houses listed for under 200,000 in Brentwood.

Franklin definitely would be a better option. They have much more starter homes and it is also a good area. I don't know how you feel about Fieldstone Farms but I know they would have some houses in your price range, though I believe it may be more kid oriented than you prefer.

There are many options in Williamson County, you just need to be willing to shop around.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 PM

232 posts, read 429,445 times
The least expensive listing in Fieldstone Farms is $199,500. Fairview is a very strange area. We looked there and just didn't like the area, but there are some good deals there. It all depends on how close to Nashville you need to be for work, etc. I believe real estate in this are is very over priced for what you get. But many people must be making some very good money! Congrats to them!! Dickson County has some cute places for a very reasonable price. You may want to check that out. Not too far from Nashville if that's where you will be working. Anyway, best wishes.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM

13,833 posts, read 11,131,336 times
Sounds like you need to turn off Franklin Road and explore some more.

You won't find your price range in Brentwood, though there are some middle class areas here. I live in Brenthaven, which has older ranch homes that average 2500 sq. feet. They are overpriced for the size, but the quality of life in the area bumps up the price. The other reason you have large yards in Brentwood is because the city had a one-house-per-acre ordinance until the late 90s, when they started allowing Open Space Residential Developments like Raintree Forest.

You will have a very hard time finding a home in that price range in Williamson County unless you move way out to Spring Hill. You MIGHT find something in Franklin neighborhoods like Maplewood on Highway 96 or Falcon Creek on the east side of I-65, but that's about it.

The last ranking I saw had Williamson County as the 11th wealthiest county in the nation, so yes, there are quite a few big houses here.

Are you wanting to rent here? It looks like the average rent on a nice place in Cool Springs is $800-$1000, if that helps. You can rent in Franklin for less than that.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM

The reason I am looking in this area is because my job will be right off 65 near the Nissan building. I don't prefer to commute more than 20-25 minutes and am looking for somewhere safe, nice, with hopefully some walking, hiking, and or biking trails nearby (but it certainly doesn't have to be in Brentwood). As a matter of fact, as pretty as that city is, it's not really for me. I don't know much about the entire Nashville area yet but am trying to learn though it's a big spread out place. Spring Hill seems a little far out there but maybe it wouldn't be too bad of a commute?? I'm looking to spend about $800-$950 per month on rent if anyone can recommend anything. Thanks again to everyone's input.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 PM

edit: ^^ Check out the Landings in Brentwood right off of Moores Lane. I'm pretty sure you can get a 2 bedroom there for ~850/month. They might be a little more dated than some of the other apartments, but it would be really convenient for your work. Alara Farms is another one. There are also some down Mallory Lane right past Centennial High School you could consider. All of these would be a 10-15 minute commute or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaC View Post
The least expensive listing in Fieldstone Farms is $199,500. Fairview is a very strange area. We looked there and just didn't like the area, but there are some good deals there. It all depends on how close to Nashville you need to be for work, etc. I believe real estate in this are is very over priced for what you get. But many people must be making some very good money! Congrats to them!! Dickson County has some cute places for a very reasonable price. You may want to check that out. Not too far from Nashville if that's where you will be working. Anyway, best wishes.
Guess I was wrong then. I thought some of the smaller houses there went for 180k or so.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM

I have not thought about those counties as they just seem to be too far out to commute.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM

Yeah I edited it out when I saw you'd be working in Cool Springs

Old 08-05-2010, 09:55 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,661,982 times
Nolensville would be an easy commute and you may find something in your price range in that area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville