U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,885,345 times
Default Moving to Nashville - Urban/SemiUrban Neighborhood - help!!

Ok guys, I've had a change in my employment and have decided to leave Hendersonville and move to Nashville. As much as I love Hendersonville, I now need to be right in between both it and Franklin. I've also decided I'm ready for an urban/semi urban neighborhood like I had in France.

The areas I'm looking at are East Nash/5 points, Sylvan Park, Belmont/Hillsboro, 12 South, and Germantown. Feel free to suggest anymore that might be like these...some place where we can walk/bike to restaurants, bars, shops, etc. (No Bellevue, Antioch, Hermitage, Joelton, etc.)

I'm going to move in December and want to rent at first. I'm looking to spend up to 1600 a month. I would need 2-3 bedrooms and either a backyard or close common greenspace/park because I have 3 dogs.

Do you think this is doable in one of the neighborhoods I listed or is there another place I should look? I've been browsing realtracs and craigslist but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so if any of you know anything that will be coming up for rent in the next couple months, let me know! Thanks for any help or advice you guys can give.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 08-16-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 3,691 times
I think you can definitely find a place in East Nashville that will allow you the freedom to walk/bike to restaurants and shops and have you close to the dog park at Shelby. You might even want to consider some homes that may be for sale and not listed as rentals but under the right circumstances the owner may very well consider a rental...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 PM

855 posts, read 1,487,903 times
Great to hear vivalafrance. Inglewood might also be an option as well to check out even though it isn't quite as walkable as the areas right near Five Pionts, it's very bikeable and you have Riverside Village close by. Anyway, good luck on the move and the new neighborhood where you land...

Last edited by yank283; 08-16-2010 at 10:35 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 04:50 AM
CR9

14 posts, read 17,296 times
If you take the time to look through some of these threads there are a number of discussions going on with a wealth of information on all these neighborhoods. Its more information than you will ever get in this thread.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR9 View Post
If you take the time to look through some of these threads there are a number of discussions going on with a wealth of information on all these neighborhoods. Its more information than you will ever get in this thread.
Obviously, as a long time member of this forum, I know these questions have been asked and I have looked through the forum. I also know that every situation is unique and information changes. I was just hoping for some fresh ideas.

I guess we should just sticky all the old posts and close the forum - everything has already been answered!

Old 08-17-2010, 06:35 AM

2,736 posts, read 3,140,801 times
Congrats on the new job! I made the commute from Hendersonville to Franklin/Cool Springs for about a year before getting relocated to another office in downtown Nashville. The Franklin commute, to me, wasn't terrible. It wasn't fun either, but I loaded my iPod with some podcasts and it made it better.

That said, I think you'd be a good fit in E Nashville. The only issue there I see is that I see a lot of "For Sale" homes and not many "For Rent" homes. Could be a supply/demand issue there. You might also look in the Gulch. With all those condos that went up and with many now vacant, I have to think there's some good rental opportunities there.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,556,537 times
Vive, I live in East Nashville & I absolutely LOVE my neighborhood....but....if I personally was going to rent something, I would be renting in Hillsboro Village.

They're both fun areas & I'm sure you'll be happy in either neighborhood, but I feel like the East Side is prime real estate to BUY a house & the village is a cool area to rent a house.

Best of Luck!

Courtney

Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
Vive, I live in East Nashville & I absolutely LOVE my neighborhood....but....if I personally was going to rent something, I would be renting in Hillsboro Village.

They're both fun areas & I'm sure you'll be happy in either neighborhood, but I feel like the East Side is prime real estate to BUY a house & the village is a cool area to rent a house.

Best of Luck!

Courtney
That seems to be what everyone is saying and indeed the rentals I've looked at in East Nashville don't seem too nice (but the for sale homes do).

Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,556,537 times
Vive---I did a little digging & here are 2 East Nashville rentals that I wouldn't hesitate to put any of my closest friends or family in...

2406 N 16th Street-South Inglewood 5 bedroom 2 bath home with finished
basement and fenced back yard for only $1400 month, $1000 deposit $70
nonrefundable application fee... or buy it for $229,900

3520 Golf Street - 3 bedroom 2 bath Inglewood all brick with fenced
back yard. $1375 month, $1000 deposit, $70 nonrefundable application
fee or buy it for $189,900...

I know 3 families on Golf Street & 2 on North 16th, now you have a price point to compare EN with other areas.

Courtney

Old 08-17-2010, 04:39 PM

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions but I think Inglewood is probably a bit too far north for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville