Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM

455 posts, read 1,140,083 times

Advertisements

I agree with Shino306. Strongly suggest you look in Green Hills. With your budget, you can get a great house within easy walking distance to a really nice library, upscale shopping, movie theater, tons of restaurants. Hillsboro does have a ton of traffic right around the mall, but if you go a block or two off Hillsboro the traffic thins out considerably most of the time.

One other option that no one else has mentioned is Belmont / 12 South. Yes, this is the 'city' not a suburb, but it is still detached houses, sidewalks, bike lanes, with lots of exciting new restaurants springing up.

Here are some examples of homes in those areas -

2803 Belmont Boulevard, Nashville TN - Trulia (Belmont)

118 Chatsworth Drive, Nashville TN - Trulia (Green Hills)

1718 Linden Avenue, Nashville TN - Trulia (Belmont / Hillsboro)

3523 Trimble Road, Nashville TN - Trulia (Green Hills)

Hope this helps and good luck with your search! Nashville has lots of wonderful neighborhoods. With your budget I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

(Another area to consider, though I couldn't find anything off the top of my head is Hillsboro Village. It's right near Vanderbilt University, which would give you access to lots of cultural activities and a vibrant student population. The Village itself has restaurants and shops galore, plus an art house cinema.)

And I wouldn't be toooo scared of living in the city and commuting out to Brentwood. Your husband would be doing the reverse commute and it doesn't look bad usually as long as they're no accident on 65. Plus there are surface route alternatives (Franklin Rd, Granny White) if 65 gets jammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Where are the sidewalks in Green Hills to walk to the library, mall etc.... while things may be in walking distance Green Hills is hardly walkable.

Old 09-23-2010, 04:47 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,834,635 times
Though it's not suburbia, I agree with Aaron & think Hillsboro Village would be a perfect fit. Not rural, very walkable, anything you could ever need is close by, definitely an area the OP should explore.

Courtney

Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 PM

209 posts, read 538,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Where are the sidewalks in Green Hills to walk to the library, mall etc.... while things may be in walking distance Green Hills is hardly walkable.
Please understand when I say walkable, I do not mean walk to stores, etc. I just mean sidewalks where one can walk a dog or kids can walk on during the day or night without fear of getting hit by a car.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsydaisy View Post
Please understand when I say walkable, I do not mean walk to stores, etc. I just mean sidewalks where one can walk a dog or kids can walk on during the day or night without fear of getting hit by a car.
We looked in Green Hills and our realtor swore up and down that people walked in the roads... but all I could think about was having to drive my kids to play 3 houses down.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
We looked in Green Hills and our realtor swore up and down that people walked in the roads... but all I could think about was having to drive my kids to play 3 houses down.
I live in a very exclusive area and we do not have sidewalks. EVERYONE drives their kids down the street to a friends house (especially at night) because with the curvy roads and hills, there are too many blind spots. It is downright dangerous. It freaks me out when I see the track team running up and down the streets with all the cars. And yes, people have been hit by cars.

It suppose if that is what you are used to, then it's fine with you. However, it scares the dickens out of me.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:42 AM

Well my husband and I are coming into Nashville on Wednesday to have a look around. I'll be in town for 4 days. I'm not looking for entertainment as I have experienced the city as a visitor/guest.

I've narrowed the areas down to Franklin/Brentwood/Cool Springs.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:16 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
It can be confusing if you don't already know that CS is mostly Franklin, but also Brentwood. It's just an area where the two overlap on both sides of I-65.

Have a great visit!

Old 09-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
I agree with Shino306. Strongly suggest you look in Green Hills. With your budget, you can get a great house within easy walking distance to a really nice library, upscale shopping, movie theater, tons of restaurants. Hillsboro does have a ton of traffic right around the mall, but if you go a block or two off Hillsboro the traffic thins out considerably most of the time.

One other option that no one else has mentioned is Belmont / 12 South. Yes, this is the 'city' not a suburb, but it is still detached houses, sidewalks, bike lanes, with lots of exciting new restaurants springing up.

Here are some examples of homes in those areas -

2803 Belmont Boulevard, Nashville TN - Trulia (Belmont)

118 Chatsworth Drive, Nashville TN - Trulia (Green Hills)

1718 Linden Avenue, Nashville TN - Trulia (Belmont / Hillsboro)

3523 Trimble Road, Nashville TN - Trulia (Green Hills)

Hope this helps and good luck with your search! Nashville has lots of wonderful neighborhoods. With your budget I'm sure you'll find something that suits you.

(Another area to consider, though I couldn't find anything off the top of my head is Hillsboro Village. It's right near Vanderbilt University, which would give you access to lots of cultural activities and a vibrant student population. The Village itself has restaurants and shops galore, plus an art house cinema.)

And I wouldn't be toooo scared of living in the city and commuting out to Brentwood. Your husband would be doing the reverse commute and it doesn't look bad usually as long as they're no accident on 65. Plus there are surface route alternatives (Franklin Rd, Granny White) if 65 gets jammed.
THANK YOU for taking the time to do all you did!

Oh heck, I'm not afraid of much. I may be tiny, but I used to be a gymnast and can hold my own in a fight...

I think I will send this message to my realtor. I like what you have suggested and it would be interesting to see what that part has to offer!

Old 09-25-2010, 04:21 PM

102 posts, read 708,263 times
What about westhaven in franklin. It is walkable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville