U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2010, 12:05 PM

117 posts, read 143,717 times
Default weird turbind sound

Every now and again I'll hear some kind of strange jet engine turbine sound, almost like it's driving down the road. I know it sounds crazy, but it almost sounds like some sort of jet powered car. Has anyone else heard something like this in Brentwood? I've heard it while at my house. I suppose it's possible I'm just hearing air traffic, but I've actually lived near the airport before and it doesn't sound like airplanes going overhead. Just very strange, and if not for my wife hearing it too I'd think I was going crazy!

It sounds suspiciously like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar4dtYBlZ8s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM

386 posts, read 464,268 times
Maybe a military jet?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:45 PM

it's possible, I do see them flying overhead from time to time, but they sound very far off when I see them. I don't believe that's it either. I guess unless / until I actually see it, I will never know. Just curious if anyone else had heard anything like this on N. Berry's Chapel or Holly Tree Gap Rd.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:29 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,945,421 times
I have a friend who lives on N. Berry's Chapel and believe it or not, he says it's the wind whipping through the TV/cell phone towers up on the top of Lynwood? Also there are power lines running on that ridge and it could be the wind through those power towers. He said he heard that sound (he is an audio engineer) and hiked up to see what it was and the wind through the towers is his answer.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 PM

2,460 posts, read 1,945,421 times
PS. At the beginning of that video clip, a lot of what you hear is the wind hitting the camcorder microphone so it just MIGHT be the wind!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:39 AM

75 posts, read 117,813 times
About the only thing stranger than the weird turbine sound I heard earlier this week is popping into the forum and finding that someone else has heard it. What a coincidence!

Last Monday or Tuesday, around late morning, I was at home in Franklin. My wife was gone and the TV and radio were off, so it was unusually quiet. I was near a window and heard a strange turbine sound suddenly start up. My first thought was that I'd never heard that sound before. Next, I tried to think of things it might be. It was not a chipper truck, and it was not the City of Franklin street sweeper truck, I'm familiar with those. It sounded like a very large machine far away, not a leaf blower down the street. We have a Hoover upright vacuum and I thought it sounded similar to a 50 foot tall version of that, but a mile or two away.

I'm a pilot and know it was not an aircraft because the Doppler effect causes the frequency of sound from an aircraft engine to increase or decrease as it moves closer or further away. This sound remained at a constant pitch. The sound remained at a constant pitch and volume, so I don't think it was a vehicle in motion on the ground, the sound from those varies as they pass behind hills, buildings, trees etc.

Power lines do "sing" in the wind, but there was no wind that day. I've checked with the NWS and the average wind speed both days was 2 mph, so that wasn't it the day I heard it.

After about 30 seconds, I assumed it was some type of large machine I had never been around, perhaps used in construction, and left the room. I don't know how long it lasted and I have not heard it since. Twice I've heard leaf blowers somewhere in the neighborhood and gone outside to listen carefully, but it was not the same thing I heard a few days ago.

I would have forgotten about it had it not been for your post, boingolover. Now I'm intrigued. I'm going to pay attention when I'm home and see if I hear it again. If you hear it again, would you note the day and time and we can compare notes later.

I live 1.5 miles east of the square in Franklin, quite a long ways from you. The sound came from the west, towards downtown Franklin. It must be something between you and me, perhaps one of the industrial plants just north of The Factory?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:05 PM

I am not sure we're hearing the same thing, I kind of doubt it actually, but that is certainly a good idea to start keeping a log!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM

You know, here is something interesting:

https://brentwood-tn.org/index.aspx?page=222

There is a tornado siren at the intersection of N. Berry's Chapel and Holly Tree Gap.

I'm not hearing sirens go off, but I'm wondering if they have some sort of testing procedure that might make some "turbine-like" noises?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM

346 posts, read 436,590 times
Check your neighborhood for someone using a leaf blower. Right now a few houses down from me soemone is using one. And sounds like a muffled turbine.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:38 PM

I've heard the "turbine" sounds in the middle of the night though, not exclusively at night but enough to likely rule out leaf blowers. I mean, I suppose it's possible someone's getting frisky with a leaf blower at 10:30 PM, but I'm guessing not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville