Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Murfreesboro 24 66.67%
Clarksville 12 33.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM

367 posts, read 585,317 times

Advertisements

Then by your definition Clarksville is not a a "self contained" city either, because many people commute from Clarksville for Nashville to work, as well as many people commute from Nashville to Murfreesboro for work. That would make Nashville not a "self contained" city.

Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet are suburbs that would be nowhere near their size if not for Nashville. However, Murfreesboro would most likely still be a good size city without Nashville. Murfreesboro has a large university many large employers like Pilsbury. Riches, and Verizon call center. Murfreesboro is the county seat and was even the state capital for a for a period years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:27 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Then by your definition Clarksville is not a a "self contained" city either, because many people commute from Clarksville for Nashville to work, as well as many people commute from Nashville to Murfreesboro for work. That would make Nashville not a "self contained" city.

Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet are suburbs that would be nowhere near their size if not for Nashville. However, Murfreesboro would most likely still be a good size city without Nashville. Murfreesboro has a large university many large employers like Pilsbury. Riches, and Verizon call center. Murfreesboro is the county seat and was even the state capital for a for a period years ago.
And I never said Clarksville was "self-contained." Aside from Nashville, it also depends on neighboring Ft. Campbell and Hopkinsville for its growth and economy. I said it was more of its own city than Murfreesboro because to me, it is. It's part of its own metropolitan area, separate from Nashville. Murfreesboro is not.

I highly doubt Murfreesboro would be as large as it is and growing as fast as it is if it was isolated and not near a major city like Nashville. Murfreesboro relies on Nashville's trade market, airport, freight distribution, etc. Even MTSU relies on Nashville and its suburbs for its student population. Cities like Murfreesboro, Gallatin, Lebanon, and Franklin are old cities/county seats with their own importance in history but their recent history has been as sattelite cities of Nashville. This wikipedia article even names Murfreesboro as a satellite city of Nashville. Satellite town - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would definitely agree that Murfreesboro is less suburban than Hendersonville. Mt. Juliet, and Brentwood. I would argue, however, that is is more suburban than Clarksville. For what its worth, I voted for Murfreesboro and said in this post that I thought it was nicer than Clarksville. If Murfreesboro posters want to be seen as living in a completely independent city they should stop telling people who work in Nashville to live in Murfreesboro :-P They should also ask the mods to create their own forum separate from Nashville.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:43 PM

367 posts, read 585,317 times
You have yet to explain what makes Clarksville some much more different than Murfreesboro other than their location to Nashville. You say " Murfreesboro relies on Nashville's trade market, airport, freight distribution, etc. Even MTSU relies on Nashville and its suburbs for its student population." Clarksville relies on Nashville for the exact same things. Believe it or not people that live in Murfreesboro also work in Murfreesboro as well. I think they are both true cities. People come to work and shop in Murfreesboro from surrounding cities Manchester, Mcminville, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Woodbury, and Smithville. Murfreesboro is not just another suburb of Nashville.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
You have yet to explain what makes Clarksville some much more different than Murfreesboro other than their location to Nashville. You say " Murfreesboro relies on Nashville's trade market, airport, freight distribution, etc. Even MTSU relies on Nashville and its suburbs for its student population." Clarksville relies on Nashville for the exact same things. Believe it or not people that live in Murfreesboro also work in Murfreesboro as well. I think they are both true cities. People come to work and shop in Murfreesboro from surrounding cities Manchester, Mcminville, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Woodbury, and Smithville. Murfreesboro is not just another suburb of Nashville.
Again, never said it was "just another suburb." Also never said Clarksville didn't rely on Nashville for things, of course it does! However, Murfreesboro functions as both an independent city and Nashville suburban area. If it didn't there wouldn't be so many people living in M'boro and working in Nashville - obviously more than in Clarksville due to its inclusion in the Nashville MSA, traffic patterns on I-24, and postings on this forum!
There's even RTA service between Nashville and Murfreesboro - what would be the need if there weren't commuters?

I mean the same could be said for many of the Nashville Metro's cities. People live and work in Hendersonville. Hendersonville's mall attracts shoppers from Nashville and Bowling Green. People drive from Nashville, Gallatin, Hartsville, Springfield, etc. to work in Hendersonville! That doesn't mean the city is completely immune to Nashville's influence.

So what makes Clarksville different?

- Historically, its a larger city than Murfreesboro and has its own, larger sphere of influence (Hopkinsville, Ft. Campbell, Oak Grove, etc.)

- Its a part of its own Metropolitan area.

- There are fewer Clarksvillians who commute to Nashville...MTA/RTA offers no bus service to Clarksville and the traffic is much lighter.

- Most of Clarksville's new residential development is on the north side of the city near the KY border and Ft. Campbell...far from Nashville, unlike M'boro where most of the new development is on the north side near Blackman and Siegel.

- There is virtually NO development between Nashville and Clarksville but between Nashville and Murfreesboro is pretty much total suburban sprawl.

- The wikipedia page of Clarksville mentions nothing about it being part of suburban Nashville while the M'boro page states that some do consider that city a suburb or exurb.

Those are the reasons I think Clarksville is "more of an independent city than Murfreesboro." Note - That doesn't mean I think Murfreesboro is simply a bedroom community of Nashville or that I think Clarksville is completely self sufficient.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 10-14-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 12:47 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Hendersonville and Mt. Juliet are their own cities as well. What makes them suburban is the amount of people who commute from them to Nashville and many people commute from Murfreesboro to Nashville. That's a fact. Just look at the threads on this forum and many people talk about living in M'boro and commuting to Nashville.
Most of the growth in M'boro is on the Northside near Blackman and Siegel High

If Murfreesboro was truly a "self-contained" city as one poster stated, it wouldn't have commuters.

Um....most of the growth in Murfreesboro is on the WESTERN/SOUTHWESTERN side of town. Stating otherwise just reinforces the fact that you really don't have a clue about Murfreesboro. Also, Blackman isn't considered to be on the NORTHSIDE of town. End of discussion (at least for me).

Old 10-16-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Um....most of the growth in Murfreesboro is on the WESTERN/SOUTHWESTERN side of town. Stating otherwise just reinforces the fact that you really don't have a clue about Murfreesboro. Also, Blackman isn't considered to be on the NORTHSIDE of town. End of discussion (at least for me).
Really? It's north of 96...so is Seigel...both are close to 840.

Again, I voted FOR Murfreesboro in this poll and said several times I prefer it to Clarksville but if you know anything about the two cities you would see that Clarksville is much for distanced from Nashville than M'boro. Like it or not, Murfreesboro provides lots of commuters for Nashville and the two cities are growing together whereas there is almost no growth or development between Clarksville and Nashville.

Last edited by vivelafrance; 10-16-2010 at 04:42 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Really? It's north of 96...so is Seigel...both are close to 840.

Again, I voted FOR Murfreesboro in this poll and said several times I prefer it to Clarksville but if you know anything about the two cities you would see that Clarksville is much for distanced from Nashville than M'boro. Like it or not, Murfreesboro provides lots of commuters for Nashville and the two cities are growing together whereas there is almost no growth or development between Clarksville and Nashville.
I know I said last comment, but just to clarify that the Siegel area IS in the Northern part of town which basically continues almost up to the Wilson County line. Blackman, although north of 96, is not regarded as North. 840 really isn't regarded as a division line. I guess I should know since I have lived in Murfreesboro for 10 years and the Nashville area since for 16 years. Murfreesboro has established an identity all it's own apart from Nashville. What you say was correct at one time, but no longer is. Now, THIS is my last comment....promise.

Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
I know I said last comment, but just to clarify that the Siegel area IS in the Northern part of town which basically continues almost up to the Wilson County line. Blackman, although north of 96, is not regarded as North. 840 really isn't regarded as a division line. I guess I should know since I have lived in Murfreesboro for 10 years and the Nashville area since for 16 years. Murfreesboro has established an identity all it's own apart from Nashville. What you say was correct at one time, but no longer is. Now, THIS is my last comment....promise.
Whether Blackman is considered North or not, geography speaks for itself. If you put a line straight through the middle of Murfreesboro, Blackman and part of its zone would end up NORTH of that line.

I completely agree with you that Murfreesboro has an identity separate of Nashville. If it didn't, people wouldn't be choosing to live there over Nashville. However, many of Nashville's surrounding cities have separate identities but they are still strongly linked to Nashville for jobs and other services. This is less true in Murfreesboro than in places like Hendersonville and Brentwood but my only comment was that IN COMPARISON TO CLARKSVILLE, Murfreesboro is more closely linked to Nashville. I have stated why numerous times.

I only took issue to your quote:
Quote:
You don't know Murfreesboro very well or at least been here in a long while. Murfreesboro is completely self-contained and not at all dependent on Nashville. Murfreesboro has grown leaps and bounds in the past 10 years and is amazing!
Self-Contained and "not at all" dependent is a hard claim to make when many of the city's residents work in Nashville, the city has public transportation to Nashville, and the two cities are growing together via the I-24 corridor. Those things can not be said about Clarksville. MTA offers no service there, the morning traffic between the cities is anemic, and there is virtually no development between Trinity Lane and exit 11 in Clarksville.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Whether Blackman is considered North or not, geography speaks for itself. If you put a line straight through the middle of Murfreesboro, Blackman and part of its zone would end up NORTH of that line.

I completely agree with you that Murfreesboro has an identity separate of Nashville. If it didn't, people wouldn't be choosing to live there over Nashville. However, many of Nashville's surrounding cities have separate identities but they are still strongly linked to Nashville for jobs and other services. This is less true in Murfreesboro than in places like Hendersonville and Brentwood but my only comment was that IN COMPARISON TO CLARKSVILLE, Murfreesboro is more closely linked to Nashville. I have stated why numerous times.

I only took issue to your quote:

Self-Contained and "not at all" dependent is a hard claim to make when many of the city's residents work in Nashville, the city has public transportation to Nashville, and the two cities are growing together via the I-24 corridor. Those things can not be said about Clarksville. MTA offers no service there, the morning traffic between the cities is anemic, and there is virtually no development between Trinity Lane and exit 11 in Clarksville.
Yeah, yeah....I know I said no more responses and debating you is pointless because the more you say, the less I (and a few other posters) know you know about Murfreesboro. You become less credible with every inaccurate response you post. But, if you want to be the expert, knock yourself out.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah....I know I said no more responses and debating you is pointless because the more you say, the less I (and a few other posters) know you know about Murfreesboro. You become less credible with every inaccurate response you post. But, if you want to be the expert, knock yourself out.
Well, please, tell me...what makes Murfreesboro more independent of Nashville than Clarksville.

Why are there HOV lanes from Murfreesboro to Nashville but not to Clarksville?

Why are there 4 lanes between Nashville and Murfreesboro but only 2 between Nashville and Clarksville?

Why is there MTA service to Murfreesboro but not to Clarksville?

Why is there more rush hour traffic between Nashville and Murfreesboro?

Why is Murfreesboro a part of the Nashville MSA but Clarksville isn't?

Why is I-24 between Nashville and Murfreesboro incredibly more developed than I-24 between Nashville and Clarksville?

The answer, unless you can find a better one, is because there are MORE commuters between Murfreesboro and Clarksville than Nashville and Clarksville. This has been my only argument. I voted for Murfreesboro and think it is a great place - better than Clarksville!!!!!! But c'mon, self-contained? A city can't be self contained if its citizens are driving out of city and out of county to work! It's more self contained than Hendersonville, Brentwood, Mt. Juliet, etc. But it is absolutely not more self contained than Clarksville. Period. Again, this doesn't mean Clarksville is "self-contained" either...just more so than the Boro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville