Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:56 PM

80 posts, read 179,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Make sure you have jobs before you come. If you want to be in a firm, your book of business needs to be portable. Firms aren't hiring worker bees these days. Only rainmakers. In-house jobs are few and far between. Partnership track in Nashville is still about 7-8 years unlike major markets where it has slowly moved to 10-12 years.
DEFINITELY not coming without jobs lined up! We'll only be at the senior associate level though so bringing a big book of business won't really be a practical goal. We won't be moving for two more years, but we're already starting the networking process so we can have a better chance of finding something when we're ready to move. Hitting up the contacts we do have in the Nashville legal market at this point and hoping that hiring in the legal field starts to rebound over the next few years.

Things are already looking better here in LA - my hubby and I have both been contacted by recruiters asking if we're interested in positions at other firms. Our current firms are also starting to hire once again so we're hopeful the legal landscape is improving!

10-12 years for partnership? Good gosh where is that? New York? Partnership at my current firm is only about 7-8 years - although I don't plan to stick around long enough to get there :-) Most of my law school friends say their firms are about 8 years or so as well. Most like me, don't want to get to that point, they just want to escape after paying off some debt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsJD View Post
DEFINITELY not coming without jobs lined up! We'll only be at the senior associate level though so bringing a big book of business won't really be a practical goal. We won't be moving for two more years, but we're already starting the networking process so we can have a better chance of finding something when we're ready to move. Hitting up the contacts we do have in the Nashville legal market at this point and hoping that hiring in the legal field starts to rebound over the next few years.

Things are already looking better here in LA - my hubby and I have both been contacted by recruiters asking if we're interested in positions at other firms. Our current firms are also starting to hire once again so we're hopeful the legal landscape is improving!

10-12 years for partnership? Good gosh where is that? New York? Partnership at my current firm is only about 7-8 years - although I don't plan to stick around long enough to get there :-) Most of my law school friends say their firms are about 8 years or so as well. Most like me, don't want to get to that point, they just want to escape after paying off some debt!
Yes, a lot of the east coast firms have slowly moved to 10+ years.

Nashville firms have started hiring again, but some are still laying off. Baker Donelson laid off 5 attorneys last month.

If you want out of the law, one thing to consider is Belmont is starting a law school. (I don't agree that we need another law school, but....) It could be a source of jobs for lawyers that want out...either teaching legal writing, etc or administrative positions like career services and admissions.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:43 PM

That's interesting - I didn't know Belmont was starting a law school. Are they going to seek ABA accrediation or is the goal to be more like Nashville School of Law? When do they plan to open?

Not really set on leaving the practice of law, but it'd be nice to get rid of billable hours! My husband is a litigator so I think he'd like to stick to that but he's he open to anything really. He does civil litigation. I'm more of a transactional attorney although I'm forced to do litigation now and then too. When we move I'm hoping to find something a little more "low key" if that makes sense. I want to continue practicing but wouldn't mind going part-time at a small firm or something along those lines. Keep active in the legal field but have more time to spend with my children when they're little. Not sure if that's an option in Nashville though (it is here in California.) I'll definitely keep Belmont in mind in terms of job opportunities as well - thanks for the tip.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:52 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
A friend of mine started this business that is almost like freelance work for attorneys. It might be a way you can keep some billable hours and still be a mom.

Counsel On Call | Talented attorneys. A wide range of practice areas. Quantifiable cost savings.

FYI

Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM

Thanks Wmsn4Life - that's awesome. Will definitely keep it in mind!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:09 PM

So this is going to make me sound completely clueless, but I just checked out the McKay's Mill website and realized that it isn't just a subdivision but an entire master-planned community. Is that what the bulk of the types of communities that are outside of Nashville? Nothing wrong with that - I guess I was just picturing subdivisions where they have a gated entrance and give it some fancy sounding names but that's it. McKay's mill practically looks like it's own city!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastingsJD View Post
So this is going to make me sound completely clueless, but I just checked out the McKay's Mill website and realized that it isn't just a subdivision but an entire master-planned community. Is that what the bulk of the types of communities that are outside of Nashville? Nothing wrong with that - I guess I was just picturing subdivisions where they have a gated entrance and give it some fancy sounding names but that's it. McKay's mill practically looks like it's own city!
There are 3 large planned communities in Franklin (Fieldstone Farms, McKay's Mill and Westhaven Westhaven | Franklin | Brentwood | Nashville | New Homes) There are lots of more "traditional subdivions" with bunch of houses and a stone gate welcoming you at the front entrance.

Carronbridge is one that is more like what you are thinking of.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:22 PM

147 posts, read 334,416 times
Honestly, you don't really need gated communities in Franklin and especially Brentwood. It isn't like it transitions from good neighborhood to bad neighborhood

Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
And McKay's Mill isn't gated. It's not exactly FANCY, just a very nice neighborhood that has different named sections according to the type of house in each.

Sure, the gates here are mostly for prestige. Just like granite countertops.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 AM

274 posts, read 761,978 times
I just looked, and I found a home in the subdivisions you've suggested. Now I just have to get the hubby to agree to move, and find a little extra cash..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville