Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 AM

455 posts, read 1,139,589 times

Advertisements

So ... I'm not actually Christian, but I do really enjoy listening to Christian music (gospel, hymns, choirs, etc.)

Are they Nashville churches that are well-known for having great music on Sundays who wouldn't mind having a visitor such as myself? I'm very open to different styles of worship music from traditional to modern.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:25 PM

22 posts, read 47,146 times
The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is really good. They are out of Salt Lake, UT so they don't perform in Nashville during church, but they do have albums out that you might like. You can visit their site The Official Site of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or just search Google for "Mormon Tabernacle Choir." It should bring up some of their songs through ilike, articles about them, and recorded videos from Youtube of their live performances. I believe they do a tour every year too.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,667 times
The gospel music at my church is always on point & our choir has been nominated for Dove Awards & a Grammy. Here is our website for a list of service times & locations: WELCOME TO THE MOUNT • NASHVILLE, TN

I also could listen to Dottie Peoples song On Time God, Vickie Winans Long As I Got King Jesus & Kiki Sheard's You Don't Know on repeat on YouTube all day long. I could literally listen to those 3 songs all day & never get tired of hearing them

Courtney

Old 10-25-2010, 06:55 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
For a different style of worship song, look into visiting a large Church of Christ. The worship service is acapella...musical instruments. A big congregation like Madison, Brentwood Hills, Hendersonville, or maybe Otter Creek would be a good way to experience it. Very unique...the church sings 4 part harmony all without any instruments.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 AM

274 posts, read 761,585 times
Just wanted to add that most churches love to have visitors, so go to a few and see what you think..

Old 10-25-2010, 10:08 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
If you really want to be blown away, you should road trip to Memphis and go to Al Green's church, Full Gospel Tabernacle.
I have been there three times over the years, and it is a very welcoming church. I don't want to say you should go there like a tourist ready for a concert, because it is a worship service and I don't want to be disrespectful. But Al has the most amazing bluesy gospel full band, and if you go there when he's there, it is a treat. He is a gifted preacher too.
You should dress up a little; the entire congregation is in full Sunday BEST. Also plan to be there a couple of hours. It is a long service but worth it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM

815 posts, read 2,016,817 times
There as several African American churches here in Nashville you can hear good gospel music (choirs) ranging from contemporay to traditional and attend the services and not feel like you are out of place.

1. Mt. Zion Baptist Church-Two locations, Old Hickory Blvd in Whites Creek and Mboro Rd. Antioch (Mass Choir has recorded 3 CD's, Youth Choir (Judah Generation) 1 CD, local artist and Praise and Worship Leader, Benita Washington, has recorded 3 times as wel, next recording project will be with the Male Chorus. Choir also know for singing for former TN Titans Steve McNairs funeral, which was held at Mt. Zion, probally can be viewed on YouTube. Other clips of the choir can be viewed on YouTube as well, including the College Choir

2. Born Again Church- W. Trinity Lane, church home of gospel/christian recording artist CeCe Winans. Choir has recorded CD's and has clips on YouTube

3. Temple Baptist Church- Kings Ln., off of Clarksville Hwy, Choir has recorded CD, know for singing Anthems and Classical, as well as Traditional Gospel.

4. Lake Providence- Nolensville Rd. near Lenox Village, Noted for large choirs and various choirs, singing various forms of gospel from traditional to contemporary, has recorded CD. Also has always had and awesome Male Chorus as well as Childrens Chor

5. Victory Church- Brick Church Pk, Pastor is a really good singer as well as choir, which has recorded.

6. Greater Grace- East Nashville, Porter Rd., 11:00 service World Baptist Center. Great Choir, traditional to contemporary, that has recorded

7. Olive Branch- Antioch/Cane Ridge, Cane Ridge Rd. Mureesboro Location as well, don't know where.- Great Choir, traditional to contemporary

8. Perfecting Faith- Antioch/Cane Ridge, Battle Rd.- Great choir and singing, known for having concerts with more of a contemporary feel.

9. Cathedrial of Praise ,GOGIC- Clarksville Pk.- The entire COGIC, Church of God in Christ, is usually known for good music. Music ranging from traditional to contemporary.

The churches mentioned are just to name a few, mainly because they are larger congregations with multiple services where you would just blend in with everyone there. But there are several more African American Churches where you can experience great gospel/christian music.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM

455 posts, read 1,139,589 times
Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! This is just the sort of information I was hoping to receive and why I love City-Data!

Old 10-25-2010, 06:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
I thought of one more. Brentwood Methodist on Franklin Road has a contemporary service at 9:45 that has a talented praise band with great singers.

They play contemporary Christian music like the kind that's played on WAY-FM.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 AM

815 posts, read 2,016,817 times
You may want to check out getting tickets to the Stellar Awards, (Gospel Music Awards) in January, here in Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville