Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 05:59 PM

81 posts, read 286,104 times

Advertisements

I doubt if there are any bad elementary schools in Brentwood. There is a .5 mi radius around each elementary where the kids are guaranteed to not be zoned out of. All bets are off for anyone over .5 miles.

I don't know how Canadian real estate listings are, but in many places in the US, a basement isn't counted in the square footage. So a 2,500 sf house could have a 1,000 sf unfinished basement yet still only show 2,500 on a listing. We rarely have basements here, I'm pretty sure you have them up there. So the Tennessee 2,500sf home could actually have less room than a 2,500 sf home by you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 34,490 times
Thanks, listing a home in Ontario, Canada does not include the basement either....( unless otherwise stated in the description) But it is very rare to find a house without a basement here.

Thank you!

Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM

Default No basements in Tennesse?

I'm surprised that most homes in Tennesse are without basements considering Tennesse is known to get a few tornado's now and again? Maybe I'm wrong but I heard it is quite common there. In our basements we have underground cellars which are quite safe in circumstances like that.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:01 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,210,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logluqu View Post
Wow....that was a great deal of fantastic information about Brentwood. I can't thank you enough. One BIG difference from Tennessee and Toronto is definitely the real estate market. My husband and I and some of our friend cannot believe the inexpensive housing market you have in Brentwood/ Franklin ect....it blows are mind. We live an hour north of Toronto, most of the people we know commute to Toronto to work. It is VERY expensive in Toronto and surrounding areas to live just as it is in British Columbia. A $450,000 home in Brentwood would sell for $800,000-1,000,000 in Toronto and area. (and that is usually not including much land!)

Thank again for your help and once we find out more concrete information I will be back.
Something you won't need is a snow shovel/blower. Sell it to your neighbor. Keep your winter coat. You may not need a parka but you will be warm all winter. It may stay nice till New Year's then be cold till March. The main problem with the snow here is the layer of ice underneath.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,210,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logluqu View Post
I'm surprised that most homes in Tennesse are without basements considering Tennesse is known to get a few tornado's now and again? Maybe I'm wrong but I heard it is quite common there. In our basements we have underground cellars which are quite safe in circumstances like that.
The ground is too rocky & hard to dig/blast a basement. some builders may install a smallish cellar that would be useful. We can have 2 seasons of tornadoes, one in March/April & another in Oct/Nov. They are frequent enough to need a weather radio for emergencies.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 AM

584 posts, read 1,131,539 times
Sell the snow blower! I hadn't thought of that! We'll get to get rid of our snow blower! Woo hoo! Maybe we can offer it as an incentive when we put our house on the market.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Where is the safest place to be during a tornado if you don't have a basement ? My daughter is terrified of tornados and she is only 6!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:11 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,431,892 times
The next best place is an interior room without any windows on the first floor, or a bathroom on the first floor in the tub.

I suggest trying to rationalize the odds of being in a tornado, statistics, & learning more about them as the best way to acclimate someone who has a fear of tornadoes. We respect the raw power of Ma Nature, but tornadoes are not weekly events. A little bit of education, prevention (weather radios, family plan for what to do), and common sense will help greatly in getting over those fears.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:02 AM

228 posts, read 526,867 times
Friends from New Jersey LOVED dumping their snow blower earlier this year :-) Congrats on the new adventure! You are getting great advice about the Brentwood area and you may check out a new community web site that is doing an excellent job of covering the local happening here in Brentwood: Brentwood's Online Newspaper Home Page (Susan and Kelly’s story: About Us on Brentwood Home Page). For locals - their coverage of rezoning has been especially good.

There are not a ton of basements here, but there are more than 20 homes and neighborhoods in your price range and in Brentwood that have finished basement homes available right now – so it’s not too hard to find either. You’ll have plenty of options to choose from in general as there is about six months of available homes in Brentwood in your price range (Franklin is pretty similar with almost seven months available).

Don is right about the Realtrac.com site. Unfortunately, so is Aaron about the hot summers :-) How was that transition for you BrentwoodGirl?

Old 11-13-2010, 11:59 AM

265 posts, read 485,549 times
We just moved here in July from the Chicago-area and are renting in Brentwood. We have spent the last several months acclimating to the new environment and looking for a neighborhood that would be the right "fit" for our family. It was suggested in an earlier post about renting first, and though we were not initially planning on doing that, it has been the best decision! I *highly* recommend renting for a while first, if you have the flexibility to do so. The area we originally thought would be perfect for us is not the area we will likely buy a house in.

As for schools, we have one at Sunset Elementary and one at Ravenwood. We could not be happier with our child's Ravenwood experience! The number of honors and AP classes is impressive and the number of sports and extracurricular opportunities are amazing. We have been fairly pleased with our Sunset experience as well. I don't know that there is really a bad school in the bunch in Brentwood, and Brentwood Middle, Woodland, and Sunset all are quite well regarded. I'd suggest visiting each school that your children might attend and see for yourself which is the best for you. Also, great schools is a decent website with parent reviews and test score information about each of the schools. I believe that all of the above mentioned are considered 10/10 and have excellent reviews. You may want to look at that as well.

Good luck on your move! We love it here in Brentwood and are so happy we ditched the cold and snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville