U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM

19 posts, read 23,480 times

Advertisements

Hi.
My husband & I (& our little son) are looking to visit Nashville in a few wks.
We're hoping to arrive on a Sat. afternoon & stay till Tuesday night (coming from KY).
I was just wondering, since I know there is a lot to see/do in the area--if people had any recommendations for stuff visitors absolutely should see/experience if they don't have a lot of time & not a lot of money?!

We also were wondering what the best places to eat are, especially if there are any great buffets (Chinese or any kind) around?

Figured it was best to go to the sources, so thanx for any info/help you share!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 02:28 PM

2,881 posts, read 3,528,279 times
How old is your child? That can make a difference... Nashville is a fun town for tourists, but it doesn't offer a lot of touristy things to do for small kids.

Probably the most quintessential Nashville things are (in no particular order):

-Grand Ole Opry
-Ryman Auditorium downtown
-Live music/honkytonks on Broadway and 2nd Avenue
-Country Music Hall of Fame
-The Parthenon

Those are the things on most tourists' itineraries. With a small child, however, it limits a couple of them. The Grand Ole Opry is over 2 hours long (at least it was the last time I went) and is a lot of fun but not suited for a small child. Same thing for the Country Music Hall Of Fame which, in addition to being pretty expensive, would be difficult to keep a child interested the whole time.

I would definitely check out the Parthenon in Centennial Park (off of West End Avenue, minutes from downtown). In addition to being the only full scale replica of the Greek Parthenon on Earth, it is a really interesting building inside and out. Plus it is at a park so there's plenty to do for a child...feed the ducks, swings, playgrounds, etc. After that, head over to Rotier's on Elliston Place where you can pick up one of the best burgers in town. It's a local institution. Or you could drive further down Elliston Place to the Elliston Place Soda Shop which is an authentic soda shop from the 1940s-1950s.

If you like art at all, the Frist Center has a fantastic exhibit right now on loan from the Musee d'Orsee in France. On the second floor you'll find a great hands-on kids center that my 3 year old really enjoys.

Nashville also has a good-for-its-size zoo that your little one may enjoy...but they usually start cutting hours when it gets cold so depending on when you arrive they may not be fully open.

So maybe if we know what age your child is, that will help us direct you to some more age-appropriate places.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Hey. Thanks for the helpful response!
After looking online, I'm really interested in visiting the Parthenon--I think that's awesome :-)

My son is about 17 months, but he's really well behaved & loves music & doing things we do... Even so, though, I don't think the Grand Ole Opry would work..Actually, might not work for me either, heh, considering my attention span :-p

The soda shop sounds nifty too--alwaze wanted to visit one of those.
Thank you again!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:20 AM

75 posts, read 126,089 times
Since you will be here on a weekday, you might try the Pancake Pantry for breakfast or lunch (the wait is long on the weekends). The Loveless Cafe is unique and reasonably priced.

A few free things to do outdoors if the weather is nice:

If you visit the Parthenon, a great place in that area to visit with a toddler is Fannie Mae Dees Park, known to locals as Dragon Park. Just Google "Dragon Park Nashville" for a map and pictures. There is a sculpture of a sea serpent, and it is covered with mosaics made of little tiles and pieces of polished glass, all from local artists. Your son will enjoy climbing on the dragon and you can enjoy the art. It's about a mile from the Parthenon. Free parking on the street.

Radnor Lake State Park has hiking trails through the woods, next to a lake surrounded by hills. If you have a stroller, there is a paved trail along the edge of the lake.

Edwin Warner Park has several miles of paved roads that have been converted to pedestrian trails.

If you visit downtown, one of the most reasonably priced parking garages is the one attached to the public library.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

387 posts, read 514,010 times
If you haven't visited the CVB website, you can get some neat ideas there - Visit Nashville TN, Music City! - Official Nashville Visitor & Tourism Website | VisitMusicCity.com

Old 11-01-2010, 04:07 PM

387 posts, read 514,010 times
Also, Nashville is not really known for having good Chinese food.

If you want a local and authentic all-you-can-eat experience, I'd suggest Monell's - Monell's Dining & Catering - Germantown - Nashville, TN

(Be aware that it is a family style and you will therefore most likely be sharing the table with strangers - a.k.a. friends you haven't met yet.)

Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 AM

thank you all for the ideas!
Wingz, that 'dragon park' sounds nifty :-)
aaronmidnight I will check out the website, thanks. Not sure which ones I've actually looked at already..still trying to plan stuff out, heh.
& that's ok about the Chinese--we probably get enough of that here in Lexington, anyway :-). That Monell's sounds fun--we've never been to a place like that, thank you!

Right now we're excited to be visiting--trying to pin down where we'll stay, as having a 17month old in the room right next to us is a pain (he won't go to sleep if we're right there lol)...Gonna check out Comfort Suites, methinks.

How has your weather been, btw? Cold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville