Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,685 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in our mid twenties and looking to move from New Orleans to either Austin or Nashville. We have been to Austin once and will be visiting Nashville soon. We loved Austin but will visit again before making our decision. He will be working out of home and I am a registered nurse. I have viewed both Dell Childrens and Vanderbilt Childrens on the computer and they both seem pretty comparable hospitals. We love outdoorsy activities and seeing live bands so both cities seem to have a lot to offer. Nashville housing appears to be more affordable then Austin. Would appreciate any feedback yall have of living in Austin vs Nashville. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,424 times
I'm a TN native but live in California. I too have been checking out Austin. If you mean the cost of housing is cheaper in Nashville ( as far as buying) then you're correct in more ways than one. Austin has extremely high property taxes. As in it could cost you as much as $6,000 a year for a $200,000 house. The rates vary from 2%-3% so that adds up in a hurry.

Also- According to people we talked to in Austin and from others I've met who lived there, it gets HOT! As in its like over 90 degrees for a good 4 months and it pushes 100 for most of the summer. That's intense. On the other hand Nashville is colder in the winter.

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 PM

933 posts, read 2,741,960 times
You should check out East Nashville on your visit to Nashville. It's home to a burgeoning Americana music scene. Some of the residents include Todd Snider, members of the Racontuers, Old Crow Medicine Show, Elizabeth Cook, Gillian Welsh/Dave Rawlings, Ben Folds, and many others. It's a very walkable, gentrifying area (again I mean people putting time, effort and money into making the neighborhoods a better place to live) and there are a lot of Austin transplants that live here. You should do a search on this site for other pro's and cons. Here are a couple of websites you can check out to start with - Good luck.

The East Side Story - East Nashville, TN

East Nashville | Google Groups

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM

286 posts, read 699,470 times
It depends on your priorities. If you want a city with more educated professionals, a socially progressive atmosphere, and culture not based around country music, then go to Austin.

If not, then come to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville