U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:36 PM

297 posts, read 748,854 times

Advertisements

Can someone please tell me what the highest paying jobs in the Nashville area are? Obviously, I can't play for the Tennessee Titans and I'm not a doctor or lawyer. I currently work in finance in Manhattan and will be relocating to Nashville soon.

Are there hedge funds or any sort of wealth management opportunitie in the Nashville area? I will be graduating with an MBA from Columbia soon, so I'm basically just looking to make as much money as I can. I know Healthcare is big in the area, but not sure what sort of opportunities exist in the industry for finance people

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions that anyone has..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 03:27 AM

6,291 posts, read 15,813,084 times
Well, I suppose if I were you, I'd start by finding out and looking at the financial services companies headquartered here (such as Caterpillar Financial); the major corporations with headquarters here (such as HCA, Nissan North America); the banks; and the universities and hospitals.

I don't know of many hedge funds run from Nashville, but their are a number of wealthy people in the Nashville area (just take a drive through Belle Meade) and there are companies that cater to their needs.

Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 AM

2,301 posts, read 4,273,588 times
Dude, not to sound unwelcoming, but you REALLY need to stay in New York. You will be much happier there. Go back and re-read all your posts. You'll see that where you're at now has everything you're looking for, while Nashville fails to meet your expectations.

Hedge funds?!? This is a country music town!

Old 07-08-2007, 10:51 AM

52 posts, read 142,825 times
Default Also, .....

...want to say, as usual, alleycat is right on. There is money in Nashville: Belle Meade and Forest Hills. Per an article in the Tennessean, Williamson County is one of the 15th most wealthiest county in the USA.

With Nashville growing and the housing bubble not having burst here yet (yes, it has slowed here), there should be financial jobs here. Now, you are not going to get a million dollar or more bonus like the brokerage houses in New York doled out last year here. Sorry.

For any kind of fund management &/or finance, might I suggest out of total ignorance that you check out some independent banks in the Nashville area. These might give you more opportunities than the national and regional banks located here. Some of these banks might already have been bought up by the bigger ones,but look in to the following: the Bank of Nashville, Capital Bank and Trust, Pinnacle Bank (several locations in Tennessee) and Tennessee Commerce Bank which is in Franklin (Williamson County).

Also, check out the websites of local MBA programs such as Vanderbilt's Massey School and Belmont University to see if they have any employment postings. Plus, I might check out the University of Tennessee (Knoxville) MBA program's website for jobs in Nashville.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:35 PM

2,198 posts, read 5,049,189 times
Anywhere there are wealthy people, you're going to find wealth management opportunities. But not the sort of high profile, high paying jobs that are so plentiful in NYC. And I don't know about the hedge fund angle...

I have an MBA from Vandy and our entire class left Nashville to seek better financial opportunities elsewhere. TN offers many benefits and opportunities, but extremely lucrative financial jobs aren't really in the mix.

But you never know-- I just sold a condo in downtown Knoxville to a commodities broker from CT, and I had no idea Knoxville even had commodities brokers. So I'd start with the national financial services firms and see what they have to offer locally... or where they point you. Good luck!

Old 07-08-2007, 08:14 PM

6 posts, read 45,016 times
Stay away NY boy, u wont fit in............sorry!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:12 AM

297 posts, read 748,854 times
Thanks for those who submitted valuable responses. It is greatly appreciated.

And, to those that were rude, I ask what ever happened to the courtesy and hospitality of the South? I guess that doesn't exist anymore, which makes me very happy!!! Some of you guys are just as rude as myself, and I know now that I'll definitely fit in...thank you. I did say in another post that I wanted to feel like I live in NYC, and by the tone of some of these responses I can easily see that TN does have attitude...makes me happy.

Regards to all.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:46 AM

413 posts, read 1,133,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
Thanks for those who submitted valuable responses. It is greatly appreciated.

And, to those that were rude, I ask what ever happened to the courtesy and hospitality of the South? I guess that doesn't exist anymore, which makes me very happy!!! Some of you guys are just as rude as myself, and I know now that I'll definitely fit in...thank you. I did say in another post that I wanted to feel like I live in NYC, and by the tone of some of these responses I can easily see that TN does have attitude...makes me happy.

Regards to all.
HA HA! Good comeback...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:17 PM

55 posts, read 233,365 times
I too graduated with an MBA from Vandy, and now work in Dallas. I think Nashville is great...its just worlds different from any place else. Are you following someone here, is that the reason you are coming?

Old 07-11-2007, 05:22 PM

5 posts, read 24,981 times
What a dufus. With your MBA from Columbia, you should be a great employee at Denny's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville