U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 AM

618 posts, read 1,112,398 times

Advertisements

We will be in town over Thanksgiving for an exploratory visit. If we were to head to Opryland around 5pm on Saturday to check out the lights, how many hours will we spend on Briley Parkway trying to get in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 08:42 AM

13,691 posts, read 10,914,334 times
Probably at least one hour. The other problem will be parking once you get on the hotel property.
The crowds may be less this year since the mall is closed and people only have Bass Pro as a shopping option. Still, you can never underestimate how many people will be trying to entertain out-of-town relatives by attempting to drive by and see the lights.
That time of day is prime time for this activity. If you can, try to arrive during daylight hours and walk around inside for a while until they turn on the lights inside. Don't wait until it's already dark to head over.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,602,423 times
Great advice, Wmsn. We went out there last year and it was a madhouse. Never again on Thanksgiving weekend!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 AM

13,691 posts, read 10,914,334 times
"Madhouse" is the perfect word. A friend of mine found out that her husband had originally planned to propose to her out there years ago on the Saturday night after Thanksgiving. He thought it would be the perfect romantic spot. He never did ask her that night because he never could find a quiet spot on the hotel property where they weren't in a crowd to pull her aside and ask!
He had to hold the ring until Christmas Eve.
I just reread my post and realize I meant to type "until they turn the lights on OUTSIDE," of course.
I think it can be done if you are not on a time deadline and you arrive between lunch and dinner. Play Christmas music in the car and people watch!

Old 11-22-2010, 11:35 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,602,423 times
I proposed to my wife on the boat in the Delta.

The worst part for us was waiting on Briley Pkwy for so long. It is very very dangerous. The right lanes were completely stopped, so you basically had to keep going on past the hotel to go in the backway at Opry Mills. Even then I had to be aggressive to get over (which I really hate doing) and a guy rolled down his window and cursed me. Nothing like that kind of stress to get put into the Christmas spirit.

Actually, this year it might be much easier to get off at the Opry Mills exit (if it is open, I assume it is since the Grand Ole Opry House and General Jackson are open) and to go that way. Since the mall is closed there should be less traffic than normal (not to say there won't be stop and go traffic). That might be a better way to go and it would avoid the logjam you get on Music Valley Drive.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:57 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,645,571 times
Just a heads up, I don't think parking at Opry Mills is free anymore...I read somewhere they are charging $16 (same as the hotel) for access to the hotel, unless you dine in one of the restaurants and purchase an entree. Not sure of the validity of this, but I wouldn't put it past them.

EDIT: Looks like parking aside from Bass Pro isn't open at all at Opry Mills.

http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-...Tennessee.html

Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM

17,373 posts, read 24,625,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
Just a heads up, I don't think parking at Opry Mills is free anymore...I read somewhere they are charging $16 (same as the hotel) for access to the hotel, unless you dine in one of the restaurants and purchase an entree. Not sure of the validity of this, but I wouldn't put it past them.

EDIT: Looks like parking aside from Bass Pro isn't open at all at Opry Mills.

Opryland Christmas Lights - Nashville Message Board - TripAdvisor
We were there recently. Parking is FREE at Opry Mills Mall. Parking at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel is $20/night for self-park or $26/night for valet parking.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 PM

86 posts, read 84,089 times
This was a 2 year old thread dating back to when the mall was closed due to the flood damage. Now that the mall's open, parking there is an option, but there will be mall traffic to deal with heading in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville