Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,862 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Nashville from Morgantown, WV in January. I'm a 23 year old male with a couple of liberal arts degrees and enough money to move, find an apt, job, and get situated without starving. I've read a little about Nashville in travel books and on the internet and it sounds like a good place to settle down for a stretch. From what I've seen/read East Nasville or the downtown area seem attractive spots to look for housing and work. I have a car but would prefer to do minimal driving, if possible. I am not seeking a proffesional career, but have exp in food service, retail and shipping. Trying to find a little information on good neighborhoods for young, reasonably laid back people. And was also wondering about the employment situation, i.e. are there low-paying jobs to be found like most regional cities or is the situation something different.

Any figures as far as rent for 1br apts and utilities would be great. If you can think of any tips/advice I'm not touching on those would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 AM

46 posts, read 135,517 times
May I ask how you have obtained a "couple" of liberal arts degrees at the callow young age of 23? By my calculations, you had time to obtain only one four-year degree. Am I missing something?

Alas, if you wish to labor at a low paying job (in this day and age? Yikes!) then consider looking for someone to room with. A low-paying job won't stretch far in these parts. An average rent in a safe Nashville neighborhood will run you at LEAST $750 for a one-bedroom (the trendy area rents run even higher) a month and that generally doesn't include the electric heat bill and the water fee--throw in at least another $100-$175 a month to cover those fees. Nashville is a lot more expensive than the rural areas of Tennessee but since you're young you will most likely want to live in East Nashville and around the downtown area.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Default thanks

I have two bachelors degrees, 4 1/2 years in school, not so difficult a task if you work hard and focus on the right classes to take from start to finish. Thanks for the advice and the estimates on rent/utilities. It's high (comparatively speaking), but it's about what I expected. I imagine I'll have to have a few jobs. Where I'm from you almost have to know someone to get started at a decent job, so "low paying" seems like all I can get these days until I get lucky or go back to school.

If anyone has any tips on good neighborhoods or apartment directories other than nashville papers and craigslist, let me know. Thanks again.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altereco View Post
An average rent in a safe Nashville neighborhood will run you at LEAST $750 for a one-bedroom (the trendy area rents run even higher) a month and that generally doesn't include the electric heat bill and the water fee--throw in at least another $100-$175 a month to cover those fees.
This is largely true, but not necessarily always. When my wife and I moved to Nashville, I basically blanketed Craigslist for weeks, looking for the cheapest deal...And we ended up finding a 1-bedroom place for $675 (i.e., $337.50 each!). It was in the "safest" part of the city: basically where Fairfax would intersect West End if it did so.

I was paying literally 1/3 or less of what a lot of my law school peers were paying, and living in the same area. It's possible -- you just need to work hard at finding those deals.

Old 11-30-2010, 07:22 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,354 times
P.S. Now I live in East Nashville in a much nicer, larger place for $900/mo -- with TWO (and possibly even three) bedrooms this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville