Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,439 times

Advertisements

So me and my wife are set on moving to the Nashville area around this time next year. Well I have read many, many post on here and also looked at many other sites also. Well what my question is how are the allergies and air quality in general in the area (we are looking at summer co)? I have read a lot of conflicting things.. Just for reference we are in a suburb of Sacramento and the air quality and allergies pretty much suck around here. Me and two of my children already do flonase and two of use take singular (we have Asthma). So I just want to get some actually feedback from people who have delt with this....Btw we will be down there for a week in may to check it out, And I also I had my wife talk to two of her family members down there and they have no problems...but they had none here either....
Thank you John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:59 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
In my experience, you will probably at least maintain the same prescriptions if you live here.
The humidity is not helpful, plus Nashville is located in in a bowl-shaped geologic formation which traps pollen and keeps my nose stuffed up all the time.

You may already have read this, but here is a recent thread that covers this issue.

Nashville & surrounding Areas Terrain & Air Quality

Old 12-10-2010, 03:37 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I'm probably the odd one. I've lived in Mass, CT, NY and Texas and always had bad allergies, asthma. I was always on a tonne of medicines to control them and still had to visit urgent care/ER at least twice a year for asthma attacks.

Since moving to TN I've completely stopped all of my medications. I still have a rescue inhaler, but I only use it when I get sick and not nearly as much as I using it day to day before moving. I can now run 6 miles in 25 degree weather with no inhaler.

Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,632,725 times
Yes, you are the odd one That's incredible!

Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 AM

22 posts, read 46,510 times
John,
Having allergies and asthma my entire life, and suffering from it my entire life in New York, I can honestly say that it's actually better down here most of the year for me. I don't use an inhaler anymore but I will say that from mid September through the end of November, I stay on Zyrtec. It works for me. After that, (ragweed season) I'm good to go for the rest of the year.Of course everyone is different.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:37 AM

56 posts, read 176,309 times
I am also planning to move to Nashville in the next year or so, and have a history of allergies. I saw some previous posts about how bad Nashville is in regard to pollen. So I did a study of air quality between Nashville and where I am now (Evansville, IN). On random days during the summer and fall I got data on pollen for both cities. I used weather web sites to get real time data. I used weather.com and I think the other was pollen.com. Bottom line is that most days Evansville was equal to or worse than Nashville.

As a side note, I was also in Nashville over Memorial Day weekend and for a few days in August this year, and didn't sneeze once. But everyone is different.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,439 times
Thank's everyone for the replies..... I guess I will have to find out how my kids and I react....my wife will be there in mid January to look around and we will all be there in May....Witch should be a good (bad)time for allergies....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville