U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,834,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I once lived there too, Houston is an international city with tons of people from tons of races.

Property taxes are higher in some areas ( I've seen $5k in some areas and $600 in others ) and the crime rate is better than Nashville...
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Which is really sad if you think about it, since Houston has a population around what ? 3 million compared to Nashville's 500k ?

You can get a house in Houston for $150k just like one in Brentwood that's going for $700k.

You are correct though, rednecks can be found anywhere, however.. I prefer that mix of several diffrent races rather then the Tennessee norm.

You may be a proud Tennesseean and there's no problem with that, but don't like your UT Orange glasses cloud your head.
But compare the Houses in Brentwood to "The Woodlands" in Houston and ya'll find pretty much the same price. You cannot compare Brentwood to a low end area of Houston. There are low end areas of Nashville also.
I relocated here to Nashville by choice from NJ. I rather live here than anywhere. I just love it!
Diane

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:44 AM..

Old 10-03-2007, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 9,264 times
What part of Houston are you planning to move to?

houston flipper

Quote:
I once lived there too, Houston is an international city with tons of people from tons of races.

Property taxes are higher in some areas ( I've seen $5k in some areas and $600 in others ) and the crime rate is better than Nashville...
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Which is really sad if you think about it, since Houston has a population around what ? 3 million compared to Nashville's 500k ?

You can get a house in Houston for $150k just like one in Brentwood that's going for $700k.

You are correct though, rednecks can be found anywhere, however.. I prefer that mix of several diffrent races rather then the Tennessee norm.

You may be a proud Tennesseean and there's no problem with that, but don't like your UT Orange glasses cloud your head.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:44 AM..

Old 10-03-2007, 09:25 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,659,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston flipper View Post
What part of Houston are you planning to move to?

houston flipper
We're actually looking at houses in Katy, Missouri City, Sugar Land, and Humble but we're pretty impressed with Katy.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I relocated here to Nashville by choice from NJ. I rather live here than anywhere. I just love it!
Diane
I relocated to Nashville 6 years ago by force from FL.

There are some great things about Tennessee, It's not as expensive as Florida. The housing seems to be average. The land is beautiful if you don't have some " country " folk reving up their trucks and blasting freebird at all hours.

I'm not fond of a 9% sales tax, I'm not fond of a wheel tax to register my car. I'm not fond of having to live in the city to avoid rednecks either.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 55,121 times
Quote:
I'm not fond of a wheel tax to register my car. I'm not fond of having to live in the city to avoid rednecks either.
Hi FutureTexan,

Pardon my ignorace but what do you mean by a 'wheel tax'?? I've lived in a few states that figure it all difference ways so I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Also, what is considered "the city"?? Again, I've lived in a few places with different definitions.

Thanks!!!!
Debbie

Old 10-04-2007, 12:30 PM

6,297 posts, read 15,017,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle's Mommy View Post
Hi FutureTexan,

Pardon my ignorace but what do you mean by a 'wheel tax'?? I've lived in a few states that figure it all difference ways so I'd like to know what I'm in for.

Also, what is considered "the city"?? Again, I've lived in a few places with different definitions.

Thanks!!!!
Debbie
Most counties in Tennessee has a wheel tax that you pay when you renew your car tags (and almost always they claim it goes to the schools). It varies from county to county; I pay $80 total here in Nashvile (state and local) to renew my car tags. A few counties also require an vehicle inspection (mostly Metro Nashville and surrounding counties); it's usually $10. You can look up the tax (also called a sticker fee . . . because they give you a darling little sticker to put on your license plate) for whatever counties you're interested in.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle's Mommy View Post
Hi FutureTexan,

Thanks!!!!
Debbie
Alleycat pretty much said it all, The wheel tax in Wilson County ( Mt. Juliet, Lebanon ) is $25 and I think it's also $80 in Sumner.

What I meant by living in " the city ".. I was actually upset at my neighbors when I wrote that. When I said that, I meant living within Nashville in areas like Inglewood, West End, ect, ect versus living in areas like Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Gallatin, Bellevue, ect, ect..

The one thing to know about Nashville if you're not from here is that unlike pretty much almost all cities, Nashville has a metropolitan government basically meaning that the Nashville city government ( police, fire, ect ) have control over all of Davidson County.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,302 times
Default Possible Move from WI

I was born and raised in WI and have been here for 31 years. I have the opportunity to move to the Franklin area for a very good career opportunity and would like to know as much as I can about the area before I make the move. I certainly have read a lot in magazines and the net but beleive personal experiences tell a much better story

What is living in Nashville like, what is there all to do?
What are property taxes, car registration, and other taxes like?
I would like home/condo in an owntown area where there is a lot going on, good restaurants, gyms, etc. Please provide suggestions

Apprciate any insight

Old 11-23-2007, 10:35 AM

6,297 posts, read 15,017,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin008 View Post
What is living in Nashville like, what is there all to do?
What are property taxes, car registration, and other taxes like?
I would like home/condo in an owntown area where there is a lot going on, good restaurants, gyms, etc. Please provide suggestions
To answer your questions in order . . .

There are music clubs and concerts (leaning more towards county music or popular rock, but not always); a great symphony; Broadway shows at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center (and smaller theatres); a nice art museum (but it's no Met); historical sites; lots of nature stuff (lakes, parks, and that sort of thing); good restaurants and cafes (but it's certainly not NYC in that regard); all sorts of communities events; professional sports (the Titans, the NHL Predators, and a nice little AAA baseball team); a great public library system; lots and lots of churches. There's a large outlet mall here (Opry Mills) and several shopping malls, but you won't find as much variety as you will in some place like Dallas or Atlanta. Public transportation is somewhat limited (one train route and the MTA buses); this is stil a "drive your own" kind of town.

There are two property tax rates in Nashville, one for the Urban Services District and one for the General Services District. The rates are something like $4.65 and $4.04 per $100 of assessed value (and assessed value is always 25% of actual value). Since that's a $4 rate and a 25% factor, for a rough estimate you can just move the decimal place over. For example, tax on a $220,000 homes would be a little over $2200 a year. Annual car tags are $80 + a $10 emmissions inspection fee.

Downtown living is just coming back in Nashville. The newer and nicer places are on the expensive side. That might change in the future as more downtown residential places are built. You would probably do better in the Midtown/Vandy/2st Avenue area. Midtown is close to downtown and there is lots to do around the area.

Does that kind of giving you an idea of Nashville? I couldn't include everything to do, of course.

Since you asked about Nashville, I answered only for Nashville, but if I were going to be working in Franklin, I would certainly look at living in Franklin or maybe even Brentwood, as well as Nashville.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-23-2007 at 11:17 AM..

Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM

319 posts, read 868,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I moved from Miami to Nashville back in 1996 but had to move to Orlando in 2000.......so I lived in Nashville for about 4 years....

When i heard that i was moving from Miami to Nashville I resisted and got mad because i was used to the diversity in Miami and the "Anything Goes" mentallity.....but after being negative for about a year living in Nashville i started "LOVING" Nashville for what it is.....and thats what i think transplants have to do that come to any new town....because no 2 places are the same......Nashville has beautifull hills and i love the winter when the rocks on the hills have ice on them.....and i love the seasons in Nashville......The summer is kinda hazy sometimes but i enjoyed that too because it brings out the beauty of the hills in town.....the people are all pretty much "friendly" in town.....some are not used to the new people flocking in but i like how "real" people are there.....they will tell you what is on thier mind ....not like in a New York kinda way but in a "Nashville way"...like that guy at the bar said to the guy who posted this article.....People hold doors open for you and arent in too much of a rush and Its just a good mix of a country and city feel in town.......I LOVE NASHVILLE
It's interesting to read all these posts and see how many people talk about how "friendly" we Southern or Nashville people are. I can't help wonder what other places must be like if the "friendliness" factor stands out so much in the minds of visitors because to me its something I guess I never really notice that much.....these post make me realize it's just a way of life that I regret that I've come to take for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville