U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-09-2007, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,025 times
to appreciate a certain culture/place you must have some form of "prior knowledge" about it.It's hard for us Nashvillians to go to Detroit or New York and fit in.We're southern and understand each other but are very willing to accept others.Not every culture and small city-communities are like we are.I respect your views and as you probably knew prior to your visit-Nashville is country music's home.So,what led you here?
TS

Old 12-12-2007, 04:41 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,031,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTexan View Post
I relocated to Nashville 6 years ago by force from FL.

There are some great things about Tennessee, It's not as expensive as Florida. The housing seems to be average. The land is beautiful if you don't have some " country " folk reving up their trucks and blasting freebird at all hours.

I'm not fond of a 9% sales tax, I'm not fond of a wheel tax to register my car. I'm not fond of having to live in the city to avoid rednecks either.
Florida is imo Redneck Country. Where my Brother-in-law lives in Clearwater, its hard not to see a pick-up truck on someone's lawn. He lives in Dunedin which is supposibly more upscale, and you see it there also.
As far as the fee to registar your car, I paid that in NJ also. Also, State income tax, which I don't pay here.
I don't know where you live in TN , but where I am, Nashville, by Brentwood Border, I don't see anybody I would call a redneck, same goes for other sections of Nashville.

Diane

Old 12-13-2007, 08:59 PM
BNB

175 posts, read 474,573 times
I suppose it is true enough to say that we all have different labels depending on what part of the country we live in. But for me,the feminine half of BNB, and being a southern born, raised in california, girl, I am certain I will find my way in Nashville.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:07 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,961,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I don't know where you live in TN , but where I am, Nashville, by Brentwood Border, I don't see anybody I would call a redneck, same goes for other sections of Nashville.

Diane
I've lived in Madison, Hendersonville, and now Mount Juliet.

and No, pretty much no one in Brentwood are rednecks, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to be a redneck with alot of money, that is.. unless you're Jed Clampett...

Old 12-26-2007, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Hello,

I am a transplant from Detroit, MI. I came to Nashville in the hot summer of 1989. Much has changed about the infrastructure of the city, but not much has changed about the flavor of the city. Several new byways have been expanded-though they were completed years after they were really needed. Then, once they are completed, a new surge of motorists and communities have already sprung up and clamoring for more road. Boy, that is a headache and could probably be one of the biggest issues I have with my views of Nashville. With all of the growth we experience and seek, our city planners and those in power are not proactively tackling the need for mass transit, traffic management and controlled/sensible growth and preparation for growth. With that written, I have always described the city as a great place for families and comforting to those who were born and bred suburbanites. Nashville is a decent place to live and raise a family. However, it leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to venues for music and entertainment(from an R&B & Jazz music perspective). This is to take nothing from other venues that nurture other genres-I enjoy all kinds of entertainment-but I do enjoy some good jazz and rhythm and blues. I think that the fault of this lies within the community of listeners and fans of these genres than any other single reason. I would like to own a club that housed and promoted this form of entertainment. Unfortunately, though, it seems that the fans of this genre will only support one venue at a time. We don't appear to frequent more than one club at a time. Whereas fans of country music and country/rock have hundreds of venues per night to be entertained. There are usually many events to experience for several age groups such as the Zoo; the science center and the Frist museum. I don't want to be another Atlanta, per se, but I would like for Nashville to have that Umph or intangible quality that makes folks want to visit and the residents have a good variety of entertainment, cultural and educational venues to enjoy and support.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,961,768 times
For those wanting to re-locate to Nashville...

Yesterday, The day after Christmas I was headed to the gas pumps at Wal-Mart in Hermitage. Of course all the pumps were full and as I saw an open pump I drove towards it at the same time as another guy, He proceeded to pull through the pumps and as he pulled through I pulled up to the pump.

He proceeded to ( infront of kids, seniors, and my family and inlaws from Louisiana ) use every curse word and name in the english language other than the child of god claiming that he was turning around to head back to the pump.

That got me thinking about Nashville now, versus Nashville when I moved here in 2001.

Since I've moved here, the number of gangs and gang members have gone up dramatically, Gang graffiti can now be seen all over the city.

For the first time in my life, I've witnessed the City/County school district cancel a High School basketball game because of the threat of gang violence ( Antioch High School vs. Hunters Lane )

For the first time in my life, I've witnessed a shooting at a highschool basketball game and football game ( McGavock High School & Hunters Lane )

For the first time in my life, I'm not witnessing a high school ( McGavock ) with active, on duty police officers patrolling the parking lots and using wand metal detectors during school events.

Here are some facts about Nashville.

City Crime Rankings by Population Group

According to Morgan Quitno...

In Cities with a population of over 500,000, Nashville is ranked as the 8th most dangerous city in the United States behind only Detroit, Washington D.C., Baltimore, Memphis, Dallas, Philladelphia, and Columbus, OH.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Nashville rated an 8 in both Violent Crime and Property Crime on a scale of 10 with the U.S. average being 3.

With those statistics, Nashville has a higher crime rate then...

Houston, TX
Miami, FL
Tampa, FL
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA
New York, NY
Chicago, IL

just to name a few...

I have nothing wrong with Nashville, It was a great place while it lasted but recently the place has just really gone to hell.

Days before Christmas, a man that had been arrested several times for violent crimes was paroled and attempted to rob an old lady infront of a Kroger, an innocent person attempted to stop the criminal and was stabbed to death.

Several working class people in resturaunts on Charlotte Pike have been murdered.

People have become overly rude, forgotten how to drive, and the housing market is insane.

If you're looking for a 1,200 sqf house for 170k then Nashville is the place for you.

I'm sure I'll get flammed for this post and I'm even more sure that most of the people flamming me will be from the Brentwood, Green Hills, Franklin, and Belle View neighborhoods, Areas not prone to any of the above due to money and private police forces.

Nashville was a nice city and a damn good place to live in 2001.

We used to be able to walk downtown at Riverfront Park at 1am and feel safe. These days, you're lucky if you're not mugged by a homeless man or stabbed or shot by gangbangers ( 2-3 guys were found stabbed under the Pedestrian Bridge between 1st and 2nd ave. earlier this year )

Kids from rural communities outside the city think it's a good time to get drunk and throw homeless people into the Cumberland River...

Just telling my side of the story, which is apparently very diffrent from all the other " Nashville is great, Nashville is good " people on the forum.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 04:34 AM..

Old 12-27-2007, 12:00 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,477,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emarj3 View Post
However, it leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to venues for music and entertainment(from an R&B & Jazz music perspective). This is to take nothing from other venues that nurture other genres-I enjoy all kinds of entertainment-but I do enjoy some good jazz and rhythm and blues. I think that the fault of this lies within the community of listeners and fans of these genres than any other single reason.
From what I understand, before the Interstate highway came through and cut up some of the intercity neighborhoods, Jefferson Street had quite a nightclub scene. I may have it wrong but I think at one time it was even called the "Harlem of the South" because of the number of clubs there. This was a little before my time so I'm just going by what I've heard. The Country Music Hall of Fame had some kind of exhibit on this a year or two ago.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,875,311 times
There is very much a racial "thing" here in nashville. You can see both sides of it. Clearly.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:01 PM

10 posts, read 33,348 times
OK, here's my take on Nashville.

First a bit about me, I'm 38 years old, white, male, gay, liberal as hell, and a punk complete with mohawk and scars from years of acting crazy in the pit. I grew up and have lived most of my adult life in Nashville and I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

When I moved to Seattle everyone told me how diverse of a city it is, compared to Nashville it is like living in a marshmallow factory. Nashville has large Hispanic, African American, African, Middle Eastern (if I am not mistaken the largest population of ethnic Kurds outside of Kurdistan is in Nashville), Asian, and Hindu communities along with a large number of European immigrants as well. Add to this the diversity of thought here, yeah, there are lots of red neck conservatives in Nashville and having to be able to back up my opinions makes me a better liberal. In Seattle most people were only liberal because they thought they should be even though they didn't know why.

Nashville does have a large country music community, of course, but there is also a thriving indie scene, a great punk scene, the best Rockabilly scene anywhere, Nashville is THE place for gospel music, and there is a ton of blues and classical and hippy jam band crap too. Jazz is in somewhat short supply but other than that we have got pretty much anything you could want. The thing is that you have to get out of the tourist areas to find it (and by the way, I love going to Tootsies and the other ****** Tonks on Lower Broad), and if you only experience Nashville as a tourist you will never have a clue what life is like here.

Go to Green Hills or Belle Meade for pretentious uppity shopping, head out to East Nashville for a bit of gentrified bohemia, See some amazing art at the Frist or at the Parthenon, or at any number of other galleries and museums around town. Have a drink surrounded by skinheads (non-racist), punks, *****s, rockabilly kids, and old time locals at FooBar. Try and decide between great sushi or Turkish or Chinese or southern home cooking or Indian or soul food or Persian or Ethiopian or Mexican foods at any number of amazing restaurants around town. Nashville may not have everything, but it has so much that you will forget about what it might be missing.

Let me explain a fairly typical night for me, a couple of weeks ago I met my boyfriend at the Jewish deli where he works, we left there and went to our favorite sushi place where we listened to the owners (they have almost adopted our punk asses) sing karaoke in Chinese. Why in Chinese? because they are from Shanghai. When we left we walked across the street and wound up talking to some of our friends who are bike punks (they find old bicycles and use them to build some pretty damn astounding machines) and travel around in a gang together. We then went to a punk show where we drank beer and ciders and listened to a few great local bands. Oh yeah, a lot of this time we were holding hands or had our arms around each other or were kissing. We even had a red neck in an old pick up truck honk and give us a thumbs up.

Not what you would expect from Nashville? Most of us who live here enjoy this type of thing on a daily basis.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:05 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,807,461 times
Kilted-

Great post! Love to see new CityData writers. Sounds like you've discovered a rich, multi-cultural way of life here in Nashville.

Hope we continue to hear your perspective here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville