U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,968 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move from Detroit to Murfresboro in May my one question is what kind of wild life can I expect to see such as snakes and thing of that nature???? Secondly how is the job rate down there I have been on Career builder and have got several calls for jobs in Nashville will I really need a car to get around is it public transportation???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:32 PM

6,389 posts, read 10,417,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnesha523 View Post
I am planning to move from Detroit to Murfresboro in May my one question is what kind of wild life can I expect to see such as snakes and thing of that nature???? Secondly how is the job rate down there I have been on Career builder and have got several calls for jobs in Nashville will I really need a car to get around is it public transportation???
If you're moving to Murfreesboro, I can't imagine trying to get around not having a car. It's even really, really difficult in Nashville itself (really only feasible if you live 3-5 miles from downtown).

As far as "wildlife," it depends on where you live...places closer to the edge of the burbs, parks, or heavily wooded areas will probably see a bit more in the way of critters...but generally speaking, most of them do not pose any real danger...they can sometimes be a nuisance.

Tennessee does have a few poisonous snakes, but I've only ever heard of Copperheads in Middle Tennessee. Snakebites are rare (unless you step on them, so watch where you walk), and the Copperhead is one of the least dangerous of the poisonous snakes.

Besides snakes, there are lots of raccoons, possums, skunks, and other small mammals, and a whole lot of deer. There are also some predators, in smaller numbers, like bobcats, coyotes, and foxes...but they pose little threat to people.

There's nothing here I would call scary. Except for deer. You'll drive down a dark, windy road at night and one of those f#$kers will jump right out in front of you, and if you're lucky, the only mess you'll be cleaning up is in your pants.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,968 times
Thanks I am not worried about the deer we have them here and the skunks and raccoons so that want be a problem I just hate the snake part as long as they stay outside and not in the house i will be fine thank you I do have a small dog so i will make sure when she goes out she is safe and that she has all her shots up to date anything else I should be aware of

Old 04-23-2011, 09:35 PM

6,389 posts, read 10,417,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnesha523 View Post
Thanks I am not worried about the deer we have them here and the skunks and raccoons so that want be a problem I just hate the snake part as long as they stay outside and not in the house i will be fine thank you I do have a small dog so i will make sure when she goes out she is safe and that she has all her shots up to date anything else I should be aware of
Snakes aren't a real big issue here. I don't know anyone who has been bitten or had a poisonous snake in their house. I'm sure it happens...but it's very rare. I have only seen a Copperhead twice in person, and both times were in heavily wooded areas in parks.

For a small dog, I think the only thing I would make sure of is that it can have access to a safe place (like in the house or in the garage) via a doggy door. I've heard rumors of people saying that coyotes (again, primarily in the more wooded areas) killing pets...but I've also heard more official sources say that coyotes don't typically bother pets...not their particular prey (though they are scavengers). Definitely make sure your dog is up to date on its rabies shot, though.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 9,352 times
My husband & I are planning on visiting Murfreesboro & Smyrna, TN this coming September 2011, in the hopes of moving to TN in 2012. During our visit in September, we are planning on looking at houses & neighborhoods. Could anyone recommend a realtor for us? We would greatly appreciate your feedback as always. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM

164 posts, read 342,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs10 View Post
My husband & I are planning on visiting Murfreesboro & Smyrna, TN this coming September 2011, in the hopes of moving to TN in 2012. During our visit in September, we are planning on looking at houses & neighborhoods. Could anyone recommend a realtor for us? We would greatly appreciate your feedback as always. Thank you.
Hey there. Did you make it for a visit in the spring?

I don't know if you ever said where you or your husband would be working, that could make a difference in suggestions for your commute or other amenities you might be looking for.

Do you have a home to sell where you are? When we sold our home, our real estate agent in NH gave a recommendation to one here.

Not sure if we can recommend realtors but I loved using RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder to house hunt.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 PM

694 posts, read 627,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Ca$hville View Post
Belle Meade & Green Hills (a distant second) are by far the nicest areas of Nashville. Live here if you can. Nashville kills Murf & Smyrna for many obvious reasons.

You'll be driving a lot more if you live in Murf or Smyrna. Rush hour traffic to and from Murf on I-24 is notoriously bad.

Vanderbilt Hospital & St. Thomas are the best in my opinion, but there are other good ones outside of the city.
They will be driving a lot only if their destination is Nashville, from Smyrna/Boro. I have some family in the Antioch/SE Nashville area and I also work in Antioch. Crime is moderate to bad in this region. Everything has been buildup in the last several years as far as shopping and recreation in the Smyrna/Murfreesboro area that, except for work and some family, I have no reason to go to Nashville anymore. Travel time between Antioch - the closest part of Nashville - and Smyrna is only 20 mins or so with moderate traffic.

Everyone says rushhour is bad in Nashville. You are rarely at a dead stop for more than a few minutes in most parts of Nashville during rushhour, so I would hardly call that "nortoriously bad". Nashville rushhour is bad for people who have never lived in a BIG city. With all of Davidson County (Nashville) having only 650,000 people or so, I would hardly call it big. For its size, though, Nashville DOES seem to have a lot of night-time shootings!

Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
Hey there. Did you make it for a visit in the spring?

I don't know if you ever said where you or your husband would be working, that could make a difference in suggestions for your commute or other amenities you might be looking for.

Do you have a home to sell where you are? When we sold our home, our real estate agent in NH gave a recommendation to one here.

Not sure if we can recommend realtors but I loved using RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder to house hunt.
Yes, my husband & I did visit briefly in April 2011, but we were not successful in figuring out the right neighborhood for us; we got lost too many times.

We are both retired, & we will need to sell our current home first before buying in TN. We don't plan on speaking to a Realtor in our town until the Spring of 2012, that's when we will put our house on the market. We would like to meet a Realtor in Murfreesboro or Symrna, for our September trip, to show us around the area & so we can actually look at some homes. Any Realtor referral(s) would be appreciated.

Thanks for the RealTracs Web site. We'll try it out.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:11 AM

12 posts, read 27,948 times
Hi All! I have applied for a job w/ the VA there in Murfreesboro ans am interested in finding out where the best school districts are, best family rental (houses) neighborhoods are, and any other info you may be able to share.

Thanks so much, it is appreciated!
Lchimook

Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM

216 posts, read 286,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchimook View Post
Hi All! I have applied for a job w/ the VA there in Murfreesboro ans am interested in finding out where the best school districts are, best family rental (houses) neighborhoods are, and any other info you may be able to share.

Thanks so much, it is appreciated!
Lchimook
I'm curious to know if you got the job at the VA and what it is you applied for. I'm a nurse (as is my wife) up in Detroit area of Michigan and we are definitely making a move to the Nashville area in the next year or so.

Thanks,

Andy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or