Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 26,343 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am curious if anybody could help me out. I am in my mid-twenties and currently live in SW Michigan. I have been unemployed here for the past year and a half (I work in the medical field as a CAT/X-ray Technologist) and for the area I live in, the work for technologist is few and far between.

I am pretty much looking wherever I can for a job and I have no problem moving out of this state (no offense to those who want to stay, but I need a change of scenery). A friend of mine moved to TN and she loves it and I have seen some jobs in for my career field in Nashville and I was curious to know what it is like down there for someone who is in their mid-twenties, bi-racial and in an interracial relationship (he's white)? I have read through the threads and I am kind of getting the gist Nashville is diverse and welcoming and the further you going to the rural areas is where you get those that are ignorant and backwards.

Also, what are good areas to live in based on the above and that are decent in price?

I appreciate your help and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 04:48 AM

228 posts, read 528,391 times
Just came across this article yesterday - good things to come: Tech jobs up 19% for 2010 Q4 here in Nashville... and forecast predict prolonged growth.
Technology jobs seeing growth in Midstate | dnj.com | The Daily News Journal

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSmil5 View Post
Hello all!

I am curious if anybody could help me out. I am in my mid-twenties and currently live in SW Michigan. I have been unemployed here for the past year and a half (I work in the medical field as a CAT/X-ray Technologist) and for the area I live in, the work for technologist is few and far between.
There are a lot of health care-related jobs in Nashville. HCA is headquartered here and we have a number of large hospitals...in addition to many many small to medium sized healthcare companies. While we're known as "Music City", really we have more health-care related jobs than anything else.

Quote:
A friend of mine moved to TN and she loves it and I have seen some jobs in for my career field in Nashville and I was curious to know what it is like down there for someone who is in their mid-twenties, bi-racial and in an interracial relationship (he's white)? I have read through the threads and I am kind of getting the gist Nashville is diverse and welcoming and the further you going to the rural areas is where you get those that are ignorant and backwards.
That's a pretty apt description. By and large, greater Nashville is pretty diverse. Metro-Nashville/Davidson County is very diverse. You'll find areas that are very liberal in fact...areas like East Nashville, Hillsboro Village, 12South to name a few. The further out into the suburbs, the more homogenous things get...but that is not to say that you'll automatically experience discrimination. In my own neighborhood in Hendersonville I know of at least 3 couples that are mixed (black/white & white/latino).

I think mixed race couples were a big deal about 15-20 years ago but I think most people are used to it now and don't give it a second thought.

Quote:
Also, what are good areas to live in based on the above and that are decent in price?
What is your estimated budget for rent? That will really help us point you in the right direction.

The 3 areas I mentioned above are great areas...East Nashville has some rough spots around it, but remains one of the most popular areas to live in. Lots of trendy restaurants, shops, and a very cool vibe in that part of town. Further out, Bellevue is a good area and affordable. So too is Goodlettsville.

The halo counties around Nashville are also attractive, but homogenous. I don't think you'd have issues racially in any of the following areas: Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin/Cool Springs), Mt. Juliet in Wilson County, Hendersonville in Sumner County, or Murfreesboro in Rutherford County. Murfreesboro would be a good choice, but it is pretty far from Nashville for a daily commute (about 45-60 minutes).

If I were moving here, I'd look at East Nashville, Hillsboro Village/West End/Vanderbilt area, 12South (12th Avenue South), Green Hills, Bellevue, and Goodlettsville first.

Best of luck and let us know how we can help.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM

228 posts, read 528,391 times
I’d say Don nailed it on healthcare related jobs. Another announcement today: Medical Reimbursements of America to Expand and Relocate Corporate Headquarters -- FRANKLIN, Tenn., Jan. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- (sounds like very cool space design from MRA too)

What sort of decent price range can we aim for to help with your preliminary searching?

Old 01-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
There are a lot of health care-related jobs in Nashville. HCA is headquartered here and we have a number of large hospitals...in addition to many many small to medium sized healthcare companies. While we're known as "Music City", really we have more health-care related jobs than anything else.

That's a pretty apt description. By and large, greater Nashville is pretty diverse. Metro-Nashville/Davidson County is very diverse. You'll find areas that are very liberal in fact...areas like East Nashville, Hillsboro Village, 12South to name a few. The further out into the suburbs, the more homogenous things get...but that is not to say that you'll automatically experience discrimination. In my own neighborhood in Hendersonville I know of at least 3 couples that are mixed (black/white & white/latino).

I think mixed race couples were a big deal about 15-20 years ago but I think most people are used to it now and don't give it a second thought.

What is your estimated budget for rent? That will really help us point you in the right direction.

The 3 areas I mentioned above are great areas...East Nashville has some rough spots around it, but remains one of the most popular areas to live in. Lots of trendy restaurants, shops, and a very cool vibe in that part of town. Further out, Bellevue is a good area and affordable. So too is Goodlettsville.

The halo counties around Nashville are also attractive, but homogenous. I don't think you'd have issues racially in any of the following areas: Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin/Cool Springs), Mt. Juliet in Wilson County, Hendersonville in Sumner County, or Murfreesboro in Rutherford County. Murfreesboro would be a good choice, but it is pretty far from Nashville for a daily commute (about 45-60 minutes).

If I were moving here, I'd look at East Nashville, Hillsboro Village/West End/Vanderbilt area, 12South (12th Avenue South), Green Hills, Bellevue, and Goodlettsville first.

Best of luck and let us know how we can help.
Thank you SO much! That was more than what I hoped for and I greatly appreciate it!

I am looking for rent under $700/month and based on the areas you told me about, it sounds like I can hopefully find something for those prices. But if not, do you have any other suggestions?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,198 times
Glad to help. $700/month is do-able but it might be tight. Several of those areas I mentioned are pretty popular and in-demand so that makes it hard to find a good deal. I definitely would expand my search to include condos and townhomes. You should have an easier time looking in Bellevue and Goodlettsville for those prices.

I would also check in the Sylvan Park area of town in west Nashville. It has become a popular place for young professionals too.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:57 PM

215 posts, read 681,660 times
Nashville would probably be your first shot for what you want in the lower price range but you might find something cool for you near downtown Nashville or in Berry Hill.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 PM

455 posts, read 1,139,589 times
My wife and I are an inter-ethnic couple. I've encountered no issues whatsoever. (Or if there have been any issues, I've been too oblivious to notice them.)

We've enjoyed living in Bellevue over the past year. It's relatively close (20-30 minutes usually depending on traffic) to Downtown, but still beautiful with lots of trees and easy access to lovely Warner Parks.

If you don't mind being near the train tracks, you might be able to find a 1-bedroom in your price range (or close to it) at this place on Old Hickory Blvd - Colonial Grand at Bellevue | Nashville, TN

(We looked there and liked it although we ultimately decided to sublet a condo elsewhere.)

I've also heard good things about Wyndchase - Wyndchase Bellevue - Apartments for Rent in Nashville, TN | Home (It's also around $100 above your price range unfortunately.)

What sort of career does your relationship partner have?

I would say that it might be risky for y'all to move down without at least one of you having a job offer in place unless you have a significant savings cushion.

Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post
My wife and I are an inter-ethnic couple. I've encountered no issues whatsoever. (Or if there have been any issues, I've been too oblivious to notice them.)

We've enjoyed living in Bellevue over the past year. It's relatively close (20-30 minutes usually depending on traffic) to Downtown, but still beautiful with lots of trees and easy access to lovely Warner Parks.

If you don't mind being near the train tracks, you might be able to find a 1-bedroom in your price range (or close to it) at this place on Old Hickory Blvd - Colonial Grand at Bellevue | Nashville, TN

(We looked there and liked it although we ultimately decided to sublet a condo elsewhere.)

I've also heard good things about Wyndchase - Wyndchase Bellevue - Apartments for Rent in Nashville, TN | Home (It's also around $100 above your price range unfortunately.)

What sort of career does your relationship partner have?

I would say that it might be risky for y'all to move down without at least one of you having a job offer in place unless you have a significant savings cushion.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your help! It is nice to know that the Nashville area is pretty diverse. I am in the medical field and he is in construction, and I would not leave until something is secure. And the area seems pretty plentiful with jobs for me and I am sure there is more work in construction and home remodeling work because the weather is not as bad as Michigan.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:46 PM

274 posts, read 998,028 times
RadSmil, I moved from SW Michigan too this past summer and I am very happy to have made that choice. While the cost of living is a lot cheaper than living in Nashville, to me, this place offers a better blend of culture, people, and activities that I can definitely appreciate. Michigan was just too cold for me and in addition to the worsening job market there along with the unemployment rate, the whole state was just too depressing. Nashville is a healthcare hub so there are a lot of healthcare companies in addition to hospitals around the area. I'd give a few places a call if you're interested.

Before moving to where I am at, I've done my fair share of research behind specific areas that offer what you're looking for. I live around the Nipper's Corner area, which is around the southern part of Brentwood and somewhat close to the border of Antioch. It has convenient access to I-65 and to a plethora of shopping and local restaurants around the area. Though many people prefer to live closer to downtown to have access to the nightlife and walk everywhere, my preference is the suburbs but close access to the city. I do live in an apartment complex that's about a 10-12 min drive to downtown and the vast majority of people living here are young professionals (rent isn't that cheap here but depending on what you're looking at, you can get something decent for about $750/mth). The area I live in is very quiet and peaceful and especially during the warmer months, you can hear the crickets at night. I live in a 1-BR and pay around $900/mth but that includes a garage and a W/D being on the 3rd floor. I chose to live here despite what I've been used to paying back in Michigan ($700/mth included everything) because I'm paying for proximity to a lot of different areas and fun places to hang out.

There definitely are very knowledgeable people in this Nashville forum that can probably answer your questions thoroughly. I hope you make your choice in moving here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville