Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM

215 posts, read 681,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eefrog
I am willing to pay as much as $1500 for a rental in the right location, and by the right location I mean the best school districts.
I will start you off with 106 Diddle Dr for $1,175.00 per month and 106 Valley View Ct for $1,050 per month and both are located in Hendersonville.
Quote:
Is Hendersonville more conservative than Bham? I have worked in Nashville for a few companies on short term assignments before and my impression about Nashville was always more of an open minded city and liberal leaning if not liberal.
I am pretty sure it's not more conservative than Bham.Remember this is the southeast and while Nashville is mostly left leaning it's got surrounding areas that are conservative.Hendersonville is mostly right-wing (many people who live there I am sure would like it to stay that way) to be honest with you.There are those (and I'm sure you heard it) who will tell you the it's conservative but I don't think you'll experience any problems rhetoric just to reel you in to expand their hidden left-wing infiltration of an area.
Quote:
Hope I am not asking too many questions. Just want to know as much as I possibly can before we actually move to hendersonville.
You're not asking too many questions at all.If what I told you about Hendersonville is not a problem for you go for it.Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by goodman2; 02-09-2011 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 AM

74 posts, read 192,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I am from France and a true liberal (way more left than what American conservatives label as liberal) I find Nashville to be a somewhat left of center American city. The city always votes democrat and the council pursues liberal causes from time to time. The ring counties (Sumner, Wilson, and Williamson in particular) are pretty conservative. It seems to me that, in the US, wealthier areas are usually more conservative. That being said its not like small town militant conservatism. People are more live and let live and no one will vilify you for being a liberal.
I don't think it's super conservative here either. WAY less than what I thought it was going to be. *whew*

Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,961 times
Yes there is a test for Merryl Hyde. Just because a child qualifies, though, does not mean they will be admitted. There are more children who qualify than positions available and names do go onto a waiting list. Your place on the waiting list is determined by a drawing. Some grades admit more students than others. A child in K has a greater chance of being accepted than a 1st grader. At certain grades there are additional classes added so more children will be accepted into those grades.

Station camp and several other Hendersonville schools are just as good as Merryl Hyde. I am a teacher and know many high achieving students whose families prefer their local school.

As for Hendersonville, I agree it tends to be mostly Christian, white and conservative and happy to remain as such.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:01 AM

21 posts, read 53,192 times
Thanks LesterW for your input on schools.
I do understand that Merrol Hyde magent school would be very high standard since they are picking their student population and exclusively picking only bright students.

What data do you have that suggests Station Camp and other Hendersonville schools are in the same league as Merrol Hyde magnet school?

Also, how would you rank these elementary schools in order of ranking? From my research so far, Jack Anderson, Indian Lake and Beech are the best elementary schools in Hendersonville. I hope to have the best public schools narrowed down so I can focus on finding a rental property in that school zone.

As for the social orientation of the city. I do not mind that the city is conservative, and white. What I hope is that city is mostly tolerant, respectful and non-discriminatory.

I hope to hear back some more useful information on the schools.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
As for the social orientation of the city. I do not mind that the city is conservative, and white. What I hope is that city is mostly tolerant, respectful and non-discriminatory.
It all depends on what your personal definition of "tolerant" is. If you meant the word as in progressive/left-wing friendly (like Hillsboro Village or East Nashville) I wouldn't depend on it at all (if I were a left-winger searching for a comfortable place to live, that is) but if you meant the word in classic sense, as in mostly minding one's business or being libertarian on most things, then I'm sure Hendersonville would be a good fit for you eefrog.

Last edited by goodman2; 03-21-2011 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: I Messed Up

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
It all depends on what your personal definition of "tolerant" is. If you meant the word as in progressive/left-wing friendly (like Hillsboro Village or East Nashville) I wouldn't depend on it at all (if I were a left-winger searching for a comfortable place to live, that is) but if you meant the word in classic sense, as in mostly minding one's business or being libertarian on most things, then I'm sure Hendersonville would be a good fit for you eefrog.
I agree. There are certainly those in Nashville's suburbs who are very conservative, and some of them judgmental, but I think largely both the city and the suburbs are tolerant. It's the loudest of both sides that get noticed...which is not necessarily indicative of the true nature of people in the area.

As you said, the classical sense of the word "tolerant" has a different meaning than progressive. Tolerant does not necessarily mean accepting, but rather not being vilified for your views. A liberal/progressive living in the suburbs would probably only feel oppressed if they are intolerant of the conservatives in the area (and therefore catching a lot of flak for their own views).

Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols
A liberal/progressive living in the suburbs would probably only feel oppressed if they are intolerant of the conservatives in the area (and therefore catching a lot of flak for their own views).
Thank you for responding nashvols, I must say the word "oppressed" just wouldn't quite fit the description compared to the word "uncomfortable" perhaps.

Last edited by goodman2; 03-21-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: I Messed Up

Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you for responding nashvols, I must say the word "oppressed" just wouldn't quite fit the description compared to the word "uncomfortable" perhaps.
Yeah, "oppressed" would be on the extreme end. There are times that I feel out of my political element in various places...but I rarely even feel uncomfortable.

Most people don't seek you out to get in a political argument with you...but sometimes you find yourself in areas where the "conversation" is different than what your beliefs are. I don't find that uncomfortable at all.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Yeah, "oppressed" would be on the extreme end. There are times that I feel out of my political element in various places...but I rarely even feel uncomfortable.

Most people don't seek you out to get in a political argument with you...but sometimes you find yourself in areas where the "conversation" is different than what your beliefs are. I don't find that uncomfortable at all.
All I was kindly saying is that people like to live where they feel comfortable, that's all. To me Hendersonville has a distinct character being mostly conservative, and that's why I like it.

Last edited by goodman2; 03-21-2011 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: I Messed Up

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
All I was kindly saying is that people like to live where they feel comfortable, that's all. To me Hendersonville has a distinct character being mostly conservative, and that's why I like it.
Oh, I understood what you were saying. I'm just saying not all people are uncomfortable around the "other" group. To me, feeling comfortable is all about having nice neighbors in a safe area. I don't really give a damn what their politics are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville