Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 04:16 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times

Advertisements

Well, tonight is the night. I'm somewhat apprehensive about joining this dinner party, but my neighbor and I were out "picking" cicadas this afternoon for a very special Battered & Friend Non-Shrimp-But-Tell-Me-It-Is dinner event. Okay, yes, this is East Nashville and yes, we are somewhat weird, but one of the cats ate a few this morning and seemed fine, so we'll just have to wait and see.

If you never hear from me again, at least you'll know why. I believe there will be a YouTube installment of this little gathering. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
I SWEAR I saw another post about how the dinner went and now it's gone.

Dave . .

DAVE!!!!

PLEASE be alive . . .

How was dinner? I mean, if you deep fat fry ANYTHING it's probably palpable (is that a word?) but . . .

Old 05-15-2011, 07:13 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
CGB, I am alive. I didn't want to bother (or gross out) any one with details, but all went well. The process was as much fun as the daring act itself. Surprisingly, we all survived just fine. In attendance were my neighbors and their friends (all around 30), me (I guess I was the dad) and an 8-yr-old and 3 yr-old. The 8-yr-old went after them like chicken nuggest, but knew exactly what they were. There was a regular battered and fried, and a hot chicken sauce ... and no one got weird about it. I was the main fry guy with my expertise in proper temp and timing. Even the friend who said, NO WAY NO HOW, gave in to the chants of BUZZ ON! BUZZ ON! BUZZ ON! and popped one into her mouth. She lived to tell about it and made us all proud. Then we had real food. The event was documented for all time in photos and video (YouTube, here we come) and we're all happy we did it. So, our gross out ammo stock is way up today. Just wait till I hit the conference table in the morning so armed.

Funny thing was and I have a hard time explaining it was that I went to my mom's house today with a pair of loppers and other assorted yard goodies and before it was all said and done, I'd spent four hard working hours in her yard trimming and cutting and mowing and sweeping and cleaning and ...well, it HAD to be all the darn protein from the night before. And her yard looks great.

And, to make matters more bizzare, I have a young cat hanging around my house begging to live here. I'm being a good quasi-cat-daddy and taking care of the little one in spite of my three extra large male felines grumping and hissing. Last night's cicada dinner provided me a name for the new cat, Ci-Kiddi in honor of the now deceased and now digested little bugs.

So, how was YOUR weekend. lol

Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times
Sounds like an interesting weekend, Dave.

Still no cicadas here, but I finally got to see some. Had to go all the way to Nashville to see them. Took my dog to the dog park at Warner, and they were all over the fence. But dang it, I forgot to bring my camera, so still no pics.

I noticed the holes they were coming from at the dog park were very small. The holes in my yard are bigger, so I'm thinking maybe it isn't cicadas that I have. Can't think of what else it could be though. These are holes that I have never had in my yard before, so I assumed they were cicada holes.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:49 PM

164 posts, read 398,364 times
I saw my first "mummy" trees and bushes today. One house in the neighborhood has three wrapped "things" in their front yard.

Now I am no expert but I wonder how high those cicada can fly because the very top of the tree wasn't wrapped. I wonder if some bugs might not get to that tree.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:39 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
They fly pretty high. Certainly 200 or so feet. They're like jumbo jets rather than helicopters...good at flying high in the air but not the best at landing in small areas or with any kind of grace. I can remember watching swallows divebomb and devour cicadas midair with the last brood 13 years ago. It was a pretty amazing spectacle. Like shooting fish in a barrel for them.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,855 times
I think I figured out what my holes are. I saw squirrels digging in the holes today. Looks like that's where they hid some of their acorns over winter. So they're not cicada holes.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:43 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
DAVE!!! Glad to hear you are OK . . now, where are the photos of your feast????

Finally mowed the back yard and did a little bit of weeding and I saw NO EVIDENCE of cicada emergence.

Just in case, though, I AM prepared . . . . This is supposed to repel any type of bug . . and I think people will avoid me as well. But I like it . . .

Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I finally had a cicada sighting at my house! They came out over the weekend I guess, so nice of them to wait until I went out of town

There was one in my mulch that made a loud noise, it didn't take 2 seconds for my curious Boston Terrier to find it & kill it.

I noticed about 20 or so perched on my neighbor's house, other than that I've only seen one on my porch. I can definitely hear them though!

Courtney

Old 05-17-2011, 02:25 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
A few years ago Cincinnati had a brood that emerged. I remember reading one of their newspapers online and someone had begun to sell clear umbrellas for women to use to keep the bugs out of their hair. The umbrellas are clear so you can see through them, but have a very pronounced dome so it actually does offer some protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville