U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,424,686 times

Advertisements

I love living here . . it's just that I had a bit of a "tough love" welcome, moving here on the Sunday aof the flood. I was just wondering about them as there was a rather large article in the Tennessean.

Never had them in CT. We did have 'love bugs' in Florida - around the time school started in September? You had to get 'bug guards' for your car. It was wild! So, should I get one of those hats with the netting around it? Do you need to shoo them away from your face?

No one mentions the flies in Australia very often do they? Everyplace has it's pests.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 PM

5,123 posts, read 5,027,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Don't mean to sound harsh to anyone... but I am getting tired of these worrisome emails about the heat, the floods, the bugs. Um, toughen up people! It ain't going to kill you. Overall, the positives of this area far outweigh the negatives. My advice: Don't buy a house in a floodplain; Keep yourselves hydrated with cool fluids; Keep a small bottle of bug reprellent in your pocket/purse.

Once again, not to diminish the problems that people have experienced in the flood last year, but it was a so-called 1000-year flood. It was literally non-stop rain for three days. Not since Noah, and hopefully not again for at least as long.
Yeah, I think it's just a little alarming for folks that haven't lived here a long time vs. those who have lived here for decades.

The basic lesson is: don't judge the weather after 1 year. If you stay here about 7-10 years, you'll get a good idea of what the climate range and weather patterns are. The flood last year was a bit of a freak occurrence, but there are usually 1-2 true "flood years" per decade. And there are 1-2 true drought years. I'm not talking above or below average, but flood, and drought. Same goes for temperature. We've had a few extremely hot summers in the past few years...but a lot of locals can remember that the mercury didn't top 100 degrees for about 7 years from the mid 90s into the 2000s. Same goes for cold and snow.

You don't like the weather? Wait 10 minutes.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:04 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,602,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Never had them in CT. We did have 'love bugs' in Florida - around the time school started in September? You had to get 'bug guards' for your car. It was wild! So, should I get one of those hats with the netting around it? Do you need to shoo them away from your face?
I'd much rather have a month of cicadas every 13 years than have the love bugs every year. Seems like I'm always in Florida when the love bugs are out.

Really, the cicadas aren't bad at all. Just annoying. They're clumsy fliers and basically crash into everything rather than land. If you're like my wife and deathly afraid of bugs, then it is probably pretty stressful. But if you're like most of us, it's just annoying.

We were supposed to get the brood a few years back, but they didn't come out nearly as much as expected. But other parts of the country (Cincinnati/Southern Ohio) did. So who knows?

Old 03-07-2011, 11:15 AM

If you run into a swarm (gaggle? herd? flock?) will they stick to your car????

Old 03-07-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Really, the cicadas aren't bad at all. Just annoying. They're clumsy fliers and basically crash into everything rather than land. If you're like my wife and deathly afraid of bugs, then it is probably pretty stressful. But if you're like most of us, it's just annoying.
That's the annoying thing. If you're not fond of bugs, you might be caught off guard by these because they're big and clumsy as hell. You're bound to have a few crash into you or fly closely by. It might startle you, but remember that these big stupid bugs don't bite or sting, and are literally too dumb to be aggressive.

Quote:
If you run into a swarm (gaggle? herd? flock?) will they stick to your car????
Like any bugs, if you hit them with your car, you'll have bug juice (and parts) to wash off. However, even as huge as their numbers are, this isn't like a plague of locusts. You don't see a cloud of them descend on you. Most of the time they are just sitting in trees making a hell of a racket, rather than "swarming." I can't recall if I've seen a swarm. They seem to fly independently, but gather on trees and shrubs together. They aren't really as much of a hazard as a nuisance.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

638 posts, read 788,786 times
Quote:
I'd much rather have a month of cicadas every 13 years than have the love bugs every year. Seems like I'm always in Florida when the love bugs are out.

We were supposed to get the brood a few years back, but they didn't come out nearly as much as expected. But other parts of the country (Cincinnati/Southern Ohio) did. So who knows?
This is actually the 13th year, time for the real cicadias to come back. The ones that are hudge pest. It was in 1998 the last time they were here. I remember because they first started to appear in May, right during my Prom and they seemed to get larger and more of them as the summer went on. Sometime in the mid summer they just dissapeared.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM

I remembered 2 more things...first they deposit their seeds in the ground near trees. So when they hatch and come up through the ground, they climb up the trunks of trees. You'll see their shells attached to trees...then they shed the shell and fly off. All that to say, if you live in a newer neighborhood (built within the last 13 years) without many old growth trees, you probably won't see as many cicadas.

Second, they're attracted to sustained loud noises...hence why they make the droning sound...to attract mates. That means they are especially drawn to you when you're mowing your lawn, weed-eating, or using other loud equipment. I recall hearing about someone hosting an outdoor event years ago and was afraid of the cicadas ruining the party. So, they suggested set up a lawnmower in the corner of the property to attact the cicadas there instead of the party. No idea if that really worked or not, though.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Are they like love bugs? Do they mate in mid air? If they are clumsy, probably not. If Cicada's are mentally and physically challenged, which bugs are the SUPERBUGS of Bugdom? I use a hand mower. Maybe they will not want to mate with it . . .

Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Are they like love bugs? Do they mate in mid air? If they are clumsy, probably not. If Cicada's are mentally and physically challenged, which bugs are the SUPERBUGS of Bugdom? I use a hand mower. Maybe they will not want to mate with it . . .
Nah, you're probably safer on your handmower. THey'll probably still bump into you while they're flying though. They don't mate in midair. Or at least I've never seen them do that. I'm not sure "where" they do it...

One pleasant thing to watch is the birds feasting on them. Especially swallows...they just dive bomb them and feed on them mid-air. It's kind of cool to watch in a PBS Nature Documentary sort of way.

Superbugs? I'm sure some would say the brown recluse is the king fearmonger around these parts. Personally, the only bug that strikes fear in my heart are the orange/red wasps. Those are bad dudes...and known to attack if you tick them off. But mostly they're live-and-let-live.

But people who think TN is bad for bugs need to spend a few weeks in Florida and Texas.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Personally, the only bug that strikes fear in my heart are the orange/red wasps. Those are bad dudes...and known to attack if you tick them off. But mostly they're live-and-let-live.
Polistes Carolina - the red paper wasp. I've never been stung, but I've been known to do a dance trying to get away from them.

Most of the time they are non aggressive (unlike yellowjackets), but they will definitely come after you if you provoke them. Some think that the red wasp is more aggressive than other wasps, though.

According to the sting pain index, wasps have a more painful sting than bees, hornets, or yellowjackets. I wouldn't know, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville