Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,429,723 times

Advertisements

I can attest that their sting hurts. Badly. I've been stung by a bee and I'd say the wasp sting was at least 2X painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 02:25 PM

116 posts, read 437,828 times
The red wasp sting definitely hurts. I was "dive bombed" by one several years ago. I think the garage door opener spooked it. When I walked in, it flew down my shirt and stung me 4 times. No fun. They do seem to be more perturbed by darker colored clothing. I, too have done the "dance" getting away from them. My wife makes fun of me; but she's never been stung.

As for cicadas, I echo the "no more than a nuisance" stance. I remember the '98 brood. I was in high school at the time; and I cut lawns to make some money. Others had warned me about the mower attracting...ahem...horny cicadas. I used my regular old walk behind gas powered mower all summer, and never had any problems. Maybe the pitch wasn't right or something, but they left me alone.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:10 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,052,221 times
Can't believe a bug thread gets 21 replies! Will be interesting go see what happens. When are they coming? Do we have a date? Will it be in the paper?

Old 03-08-2011, 09:55 AM

It will be in the paper for sure. Probably a front page spread on the Tennessean.

It seems like they hit in May-June and go through July. But that's just based on memory.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM

610 posts, read 1,615,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I love living here . . it's just that I had a bit of a "tough love" welcome, moving here on the Sunday aof the flood. I was just wondering about them as there was a rather large article in the Tennessean.

Never had them in CT. We did have 'love bugs' in Florida - around the time school started in September? You had to get 'bug guards' for your car. It was wild! So, should I get one of those hats with the netting around it? Do you need to shoo them away from your face?

No one mentions the flies in Australia very often do they? Everyplace has it's pests.

So funny...I moved here too the weekend of the flood. Saturday. My first day at work was supposed to be Monday, and they backed it up to Tuesday due to the flood.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:37 PM

I drove from CT, we left Saturday morning. Drove from Virginia on the Sunday and my good friend who lives here called to say we "might run into some rain". He never mentioned FLOODS! My iPhone weather app had about 9 severe weather alerts for Nashville and we found (thank goodness) a radio station that was NOTHING but flood/weather/road closure information.

That's the same friend who never mentioned the bugs . . .

Airen123 . . were you ever tempted to turn around????

Old 03-09-2011, 02:16 PM

610 posts, read 1,615,555 times
Driving through that lightening, wind, and downpour was definitely the scariest trek I have ever made! When I arrived at my friend's that I was staying temporarily, the first thing I had to do was rescue all of his things in his flooded basement.
I'm from Knoxville, and there are rarely floods and tornadoes there, so it was an eye opener.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,822,390 times
^Ugh. I just cringed. I never want to hear the words "flooded basement" again!

As far as the cicadas, my worst encounter was when I had one hit me on the bare arm while riding down the Interstate, that sucker left a bruise!

Courtney

Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Did you see this? The graphic design group that does those cool posters of Nashville has a whole "Cicada" line of merch:

Sing. Fly. Mate. Die.

The postcards are a hoot: www.cicadainvasion.com

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 04-28-2011 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I saw that. I think it's pretty cool.

I started giving my 4 year old details about them just so she's not freaked out. I've explained that they're silly bugs because they're clumsy and can't fly well. And, of course, they don't sting or bite. I think she's looking forward to them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville