Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:18 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,444,618 times

Advertisements

Ha ha...yeah, I thought something similar. Being disappointed that there aren't cicadas is like being angry that you aren't paying more taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 10:47 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,066,064 times
CICADAS TO GO!

Get a fresh box of cicadas shipped DIRECTLY to your door (limited local delivery available). Recipes included!

CALL TODAY! Supplies are (sort of) Limited . .

1-800-GOT-BUGS

Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 PM

74 posts, read 192,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
Letting the dog in this morning and he is staring at something on the stairs....oh, no....they're here.....

Yup. That would be it. Saw my first one yesterday. Creepy little fellows....

Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM

901 posts, read 2,380,774 times
I'm so jealous of you guys in Tennessee right now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cicadas. People think I'm nuts, but I play with the little critters....let them walk up my arms and chest, then look down at them and talk to them. You're so lucky you get them every 13 years. Maybe I should take a drive down to Nashville.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,444,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
I'm so jealous of you guys in Tennessee right now. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cicadas. People think I'm nuts, but I play with the little critters....let them walk up my arms and chest, then look down at them and talk to them. You're so lucky you get them every 13 years. Maybe I should take a drive down to Nashville.
See the post above...we will be happy to ship some to you.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,284,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
The boy ain't right...

Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 AM

584 posts, read 1,133,205 times
I haven't seen any yet.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 AM

164 posts, read 397,401 times
Default Facing my fears

I went out early to water the plants and saw some cicada emerging from their shells. Also found some who have just emerged from the ground.

Knowing that they don't bite and, bless their hearts, have such a short little life cycle, I'm starting to think they are cute, except for the mess they leave behind.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 AM

901 posts, read 2,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
See the post above...we will be happy to ship some to you.
Make sure you poke some air holes in the box. I'll take all I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
The boy ain't right...
LMAO!! Yep, that's the kind of comment someone would say to me. What can I say...I think they're cool little dudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
I went out early to water the plants and saw some cicada emerging from their shells. Also found some who have just emerged from the ground.

Knowing that they don't bite and, bless their hearts, have such a short little life cycle, I'm starting to think they are cute, except for the mess they leave behind.
For real! When people realize they don't bite or sting, they relax a bit. And honestly, that's how I came to love them. I hated them as a kid. In the outbreak of 1970, I was totally grossed out by them and they scared me. But then when the brood of 1987 came along, I learned they don't sting or bite - so I totally warmed up to them and thought they were neat. Then in 2004, the last time we had a big outbreak up here, I was looking forward to it because I thought they were awesome. That's when I started playing with them. I was saddened to see them go.

Nevertheless, I understand the aversion to them. I'm the same way about certain bugs, too.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:50 AM

164 posts, read 397,401 times
And finally, a video sent out by one of our elementary school teachers.

My esteem grows even more. I get it now. The life cycle is 13 years. They have been living under ground all this time and now emerge for their last hurrah!

[SIZE=3]http://sites.bio.indiana.edu/~hangarterlab/broodx/broodxmovies/nsfmovieintro.htm

[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville