U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,971,656 times
Default Opry Mills Mall

What's the news with the Mall ? Will it re-open ? Will they turn it back into a theme park ? (wishful thinking)

I have family still in Nashville that told me they were having a feud with the insurance companies ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:40 AM

740 posts, read 1,021,109 times
Don't know yet Ryan. It's tied up in legal issues and could be this way for years. That's what the news said the last time they were talking about it.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM

34 posts, read 35,653 times
The insurance company does not want to pay out the full policy amount, however the ownership group has plenty of money to make the repairs and hash out the legal troubles with the insurance company. It seems like Simon Property Group has realized they made a huge mistake by building the stupid mall in the first place and is looking for an out.
I hope they tear it down.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 AM

957 posts, read 2,322,538 times
If it does re-open, they will have to solicit all new tenants, which could be an uphill battle in this economy. Most of the large anchor stores have already made other permanent arrangements. If the mall owners want them back, they will have to offer some very generous terms.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:31 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,711,057 times
I think it might be best to tear it down. Bass Pro Shops has been pretty successful (and is the only tenant to reopen). They might consider reopening the movie theater and IMAX (the only one in the area IIRC). Other than that, the "mall" atmosphere is done IMO. Most new developments are "outdoor malls" and have gone back to the "strip mall" type format (such as The Avenue in the Boro, Providence in Mt. Juliet, The Crossings in Spring Hill, Streets of Indian Lake and Glennbrook in Hendersonville).

I seriously doubt that they will rebuild it as a mall. What they need to do first is build a flood wall around that place.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM

2,832 posts, read 3,408,286 times
I can't imagine what else they'll do with the property, though. Bass Pro Shops is the only store open out there. They have to be barely breaking even without any other tenants. Building another theme park there doesn't make sense if you buy Gaylord's theory on there not being enough room to expand a theme park. There's a water park nearby in Wave Pool, and another in Nashville Shores. So I don't know what else other than a mall they could put there. But I do agree the outdoor mall concept is dated.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM

5,036 posts, read 4,711,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I can't imagine what else they'll do with the property, though. Bass Pro Shops is the only store open out there. They have to be barely breaking even without any other tenants. Building another theme park there doesn't make sense if you buy Gaylord's theory on there not being enough room to expand a theme park. There's a water park nearby in Wave Pool, and another in Nashville Shores. So I don't know what else other than a mall they could put there. But I do agree the outdoor mall concept is dated.
I think Bass Pro will be fine. It's got enough name recognition to survive on that alone. Plus, being the only big store of its kind in the area, it really draws from the whole city. People will make a special trip there. Think about the Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville...there's nothing else out there...but it remains open.

As to Gaylord's theories...Gaylord is run by short-sighted idiots. Whatever their theory is, the opposite is likely true. Perhaps they can find a way to utilize the area as some sort of music attraction connected to the hotel. Whatever they decide, I'm anxiously awaiting their stupidity and imminent failure.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:34 PM

1,434 posts, read 2,005,576 times
I think Gaylord will most likely end up buying the property for future expansion to compete with the Music City Center.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:23 PM

598 posts, read 1,234,322 times
Gaylord is highly successful and imminent failure isn't in their vocabulary, never has been. Besides, they don't own that land and haven't for a while now. Address inquiries to that property to Mills Corp.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:55 AM

16 posts, read 19,967 times
Kinda-related. The original poster asked about the theme park. I heard we are supposed to get one built by 2013 in the Spring Hill area. It was on the local news at one point a few weeks ago.

Crossing my fingers for that because we really need a theme park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville