Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,900 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to Murfreesboro from Iowa. We have a two year old daughter. Needing much advice!

Murfreesboro seems to be a logical choice for us. He will be traveling extensively in TN, MS, and AL. Murfreesboro seems to offer a central location while having amenities of a large city. As a family we want to be near recreation- ymca, outdoor trails, etc.

Schools are very important to us, what are the top rated public elementary schools in Murfreesboro? We want to live in a family friendly neighborhood. I will be leaving my career to stay at home with our daughter and would like to stay active in the community. A community with young children/families is ideal. I always hear about Blackman school district as being good schools and young neighborhoods. Any suggestions.

We are looking to buy a house around 150k-175K. We are thinking something fairly new and would like to have about 1700-2000 sq ft if possible. It appears home prices are pretty low right now and would love to take advantage of a good deal.

I am getting pretty windy here but any and all suggestions are appreciated. Outside of a wild weekend on Music Row, we have never been to TN and know very little about the area. We are very excited to explore a new region and meet new people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,684 times
You sound like you have a good plan. Yes, Blackman is probably the newest, hip area of the 'boro. The mall and the Avenue are all right there. Check into Blackman Farms-those houses are new and in that price range. It is also next to 24, which takes you to Nashville easily. The 'boro has a VERY low housing market. If you can afford more, the Seigel area is probably the "nicest" area.
Recreation-the greenway is about 8 miles and runs through the town, and plenty access to other outdoor things around the area. Arrington Vineyards is nearby.
I would just browse through all the Murfreesboro/Franklin/Smyrna and Nashville forums to get a feel for the cities, but you seem to be on the right track.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:32 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Please AVOID Blackman Farm unless you want your house about 2 feet from the one next door (literally), virtually no yard and from what I have heard, a very unfriendly subdivision. You could get something very nice elsewhere in Blackman for the same price. I live in the Cason Lane area and love it! The homes here would be in your price range as well. Murfreesboro is an excellent place to raise a family at an affordable price! It is extremely family-friendly and I wouldn't want to raise my family anywhere else! My advise would be to contct a good realtor who has knowledge of the area. If you need realtor recommendations, a number of us here would be more than happy to oblige. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-06-2014, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,396 times
Hi! You seem to know a ton about the Mureesboro/Nashville area. I am a recent college graduate and I have just accepted a job offer in Murfreesboro. I am really looking for a nice, safe and fun area to live with good nightlife etc. I will be living alone and am willing to pay up to $1000 in rent a month for a nice apartment. I was considering living in downtown Nashville but I have heard the commute to Murfreesboro would be too long. are there any other cities or areas you would recommend to look into? any info, advice or suggestions would help. Thank you so much in advance

Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 AM

55 posts, read 68,074 times
Hi there,

I live in Murfreesboro, and there are some great places. Check out the Carrington Park apartments off of Rideout lane. It fits your budget, and is in an incredible location (close to grocery/movies/hwy 96/hwy 24) only about a 5 minute drive form the mall, the venue, and the restaurants in an around Thompson Lane. Oh, and the area is very safe, which is always a plus.

I lived in those apartments about 6 years ago. Very clean, great staff, easy going renters.

It would be good to have an idea where your job is located, as the commute on Old Fort through Murfreesboro can be a pain sometime, but there are a number of alternate routes that can avoid that traffic.

While living downtown in Nashville sounds great, finding an apartment in the downtown area in a safe place for under 2K a month is near impossible, so it doesn't sound like it quite fits what you are looking for. Plus, commuting on 24 from Mboro to Nashville, is probably the least safe of any commutes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville