U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM

24 posts, read 44,669 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

So I just found out my co is relocating to Nashville. They are still in the planning phase so I don't know what part exactly yet but they said maybe the "5 corners area"?????? Anyway I'm still thinking about whether I will relocate with them or find something else. I have never been to Nashville, all I know is that's where the heart of country music is located. So my questions are:

What are the safest and most family oriented areas in Nashville?
Even though I live in NYC, I'm looking for the White Plains or Westchester county part of Nashville (The burbs)

I'm in my 30's, married with 3 children so what are the best school districts.

What is the traffic like on the highways? Are there any trains or mass transit? Sorry if I sound clueless but I really am, LOL

We will probably have only one income for a while so maybe a 75K salary, 200-300k house budget.
Or if we rent first what are some apartment/townhouse names?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:48 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMEMRSJ View Post
Hi Everyone,

So I just found out my co is relocating to Nashville. They are still in the planning phase so I don't know what part exactly yet but they said maybe the "5 corners area"?????? Anyway I'm still thinking about whether I will relocate with them or find something else. I have never been to Nashville, all I know is that's where the heart of country music is located. So my questions are:

What are the safest and most family oriented areas in Nashville?
Even though I live in NYC, I'm looking for the White Plains or Westchester county part of Nashville (The burbs)

I'm in my 30's, married with 3 children so what are the best school districts.

What is the traffic like on the highways? Are there any trains or mass transit? Sorry if I sound clueless but I really am, LOL

We will probably have only one income for a while so maybe a 75K salary, 200-300k house budget.
Or if we rent first what are some apartment/townhouse names?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Well, first of all, you're going to find things much, much more spread out here than you're used to in NYC. This is definitely an area (especially with the suburbs) where a car is necessary for everyday life. There are buses, but with very limited access in the suburbs (some commuter buses run from the outer burbs into the city, but are very limited with the number of stops, and take significantly longer, sometimes 2-3x as long for the commute than a car). In fact, the county you listed (Westchester) has a higher population than Davidson County (Nashville) in even less land area.

Renting first might give you a better idea about the lay of the land before you decide to move. First, though, you should probably find out exactly where your company is planning to locate. I've never heard of "5 corners" in this area. There is a 5 points in East Nashville and another one in Franklin...but I'm guessing that's not where they are thinking about. It might have been a name they coined themselves. If they are considering a suburban relocation, you should definitely wait before choosing where to live, so you don't locate on the opposite side of town from where you work!

But anyways, to give you some ideas to think about, here are my thoughts on some of your questions:

There are several suburbs, and even locations in the city that are safe and great places for families. From someone in NYC, many areas of the city of Nashville, even close to town, will look like the suburbs. Living in the city would probably cut down on commute time (unless your company locates in the suburbs), but depending on the area, you might not be so satisfied with the schools. Even in the nicer areas of town, a lot of the schools would probably be considered average. There are some great magnet schools, but that is done off of a lottery...so there are no guarantees. There are some great private schools as well...but with 3 children, that could quickly get expensive (most good private high schools are in the $15-20k range).

But, since you mentioned suburbs, that's what I'll concentrate on.

Traffic on the highways will probably be much, much less than you are used to. Commutes of 20-25 miles will probably take 25-45 minutes, depending on where you are. Traffic has gotten progressively worse as this area has grown, but 30 minute commutes are certainly still reasonable from a lot of places. I mentioned mass transit earlier, and would like to add that there is one train line that runs from Wilson County (Lebanon, Mount Juliet) to downtown Nashville. At current traffic levels, the train takes more time than a car commute does. There are hopes that more lines will be added eventually, but there is no timetable on that. Basically, at this point, car commuting is still much more viable for our city right now.

On to the places to investigate:

My first thoughts, when you mentioned your want of a safe place with good schools, were Franklin and Hendersonville.

Franklin (pop 62,000) is the county seat of Williamson County, which is about 20 miles south of Nashville. It's a fast growing community with a very family-friendly feel, and popular with transplants. All of Williamson County would probably fit in with your idea of a "Westchester County" type comparison for Nashville. It's the wealthiest county in the state, and arguably the best public school system in the state. Depending on the size house you are looking for, Franklin should still be a good option in the 200-300k range, but it won't be the best bang for your buck among the suburbs. Brentwood, sandwiched between Franklin and Nashville, is more wealthy, and but will be tougher to find houses under 300k. You still might check, though.

Franklin's access to Nashville is via I-65, Franklin Pike (US 31), and Hillsboro Rd (US 431). I would figure most commutes would average about 25-35 minutes, depending on proximity to the interstate. Other points to consider about Franklin would be it (and Brentwood) is home to one of the premier shopping areas in the area (and the region, really), Cool Springs. There will be more retail and restaurant options in this area than any other suburban area in the metro. Downtown Franklin is a small historic district that is quite well preserved and vibrant today. The city is also renowned for its Civil War heritage, as the Battle of Franklin was fought just to the south of downtown. Franklin has a nice setting, surrounded by lush rolling hills and rural lands outside of the city. The Harpeth River runs through the middle of town.

Hendersonville (pop 51,000) is located on the opposite side of Nashville from Franklin, 18 miles to the Northeast in Sumner County. It isn't growing at quite the same clip as Franklin, but is still a very popular place to relocate. It is every bit as family-friendly as Franklin is, as well. The public schools may not have the quite same renown as the Williamson County schools, but they are still very good. Housing isn't cheap in Hendersonville, but you should probably get a better bang for the buck than you would in Franklin, except for houses that have lakefront property. Shopping in Hendersonville isn't on the same level as Franklin, but there are still a number of good options, especially around newer retail centers around New Shackle Island Rd. and Indian Lake Blvd, both off of Vietnam Veterans Pkwy (the bypass).

Hendersonville's main access to Nashville is via I-65 and Gallatin Pike (US 31-E). Due to a bottleneck on I-65 north of downtown, the commute from Hendersonville usually takes a little longer than it would from Franklin, but it's still not all that bad. One of Hendersonville's main draws is Old Hickory Lake, a popular recreation area. If boating or fishing are interests of yours, this would definitely be a great pick.

Mount Juliet (pop 23,000) is located 20 miles to the east of Nashville in Wilson County. Mount Juliet has exploded in the last 20 years, growing from a small town of 5,000 people in 1990 to nearly 5 times that now. In terms of affordability, it is similar to Hendersonville, though its average income levels put it somewhere between Hendersonville and Franklin. Schools in Wilson County are good, but probably not quite at the same level as those in Hendersonville or Franklin. The area is also more residential than the other two cities. There is a major shopping area, Providence, at Mt Juliet Rd (TN 171) and I-40. Among the 3 cities listed, Mount Juliet probably has a little bit less to do, though...at least from my perspective.

Mount Juliet's main connections to Nashville are I-40 and Lebanon Pike (US 70). Commute times are probably similar to those in Hendersonville, as there is a major bottleneck where I-24 and I-40 converge a few miles east of downtown Nashville. Mount Juliet does have the commuter train option, though. Train ridership is not very high at this point, but as gas gets more expensive and traffic gets worse, it may become a more attractive option. Another positive of Mount Juliet is that it is on the same side of town as Nashville International Airport (only about 15 minutes away).

There are many other options in the area that are very good, but I think the 3 I mentioned would suit your wants and needs. Do a little research of your own, and look around the different towns in the area. If you find something you like, you can always ask here to get a little more information. Don't limit your options to these three...but this should give you a good starting point.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:12 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times
nashvols summed it up beautifully. I'm from Southwestern Ct, and live in Hendersonville, now in mid-Tn 14 years. Find out the exact town name your corp is going to. People relocating from 1,000 miles away will say "Nashville" interchangably with Nashville metro. You do NOT want to be on the wrong side of it, its so large geographically (in terms of travel as Cumberland River makes commutes longer), a commute from a burb in Southeast portion of greater metro region would be outrageous if your corp was moving to Northwest corner.

When you get a town name, come back to this message board, and we can help you more. nashvols 3 possibles are definitely good ones, but I won't hazzard a guess as to drive time until we know whether they mean Nashville "proper" or a "Nashville metro" suburb.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,349,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

Hendersonville (pop 51,000) is located on the opposite side of Nashville from Franklin, 18 miles to the Northeast in Sumner County. It isn't growing at quite the same clip as Franklin, but is still a very popular place to relocate. It is every bit as family-friendly as Franklin is, as well. The public schools may not have the quite same renown as the Williamson County schools, but they are still very good. Housing isn't cheap in Hendersonville, but you should probably get a better bang for the buck than you would in Franklin, except for houses that have lakefront property. Shopping in Hendersonville isn't on the same level as Franklin, but there are still a number of good options, especially around newer retail centers around New Shackle Island Rd. and Indian Lake Blvd, both off of Vietnam Veterans Pkwy (the bypass).

Hendersonville's main access to Nashville is via I-65 and Gallatin Pike (US 31-E). Due to a bottleneck on I-65 north of downtown, the commute from Hendersonville usually takes a little longer than it would from Franklin, but it's still not all that bad. One of Hendersonville's main draws is Old Hickory Lake, a popular recreation area. If boating or fishing are interests of yours, this would definitely be a great pick.
Hendersonville also has access to Ellington Pkwy and if the 5 points does turn out to be East Nashville, Hendersonville would definitely have the shortest commute.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Hendersonville also has access to Ellington Pkwy and if the 5 points does turn out to be East Nashville, Hendersonville would definitely have the shortest commute.
Yeah, forgot to mention Ellington Pkwy (as well as Rivergate as another shopping option).

Ellington is a good alternative, although I wish the interchange with Spring Street and I-24 was better.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:52 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,807,286 times
This coming from a former NYer, I would say you would like Hendersonville.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM

25 posts, read 45,404 times
We moved to Mount Juliet from Nassau County, NY after two years of looking around. From my perspective I wanted to get away from that constant traffic battle and ended up in Mount Juliet. We absolutely love it here! There is plenty to do and we have everything you could possibly want or need at Providence and we are close to everything. The schools are Wilson County and are terrific! My husband commutes to Nashville everyday.

I think everyone is right on this thread. It depends what YOU want. We felt that the other areas had much more traffic in and out of Nashville (or at least more miles of it) and just more congestion around town.

So rent if you can - then you can investigate each area for yourself and end up where you truly want to be.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:09 PM

24 posts, read 44,669 times
Thanks alot guys you've given me alot of great info. I work in accounting and you should see the massive spreadsheet that I've come up with lol. So far Spring Hill area/Mt Juliet look the best on paper for homes in my budget and school rankings. I will update my post when I find out exactly what part of nashville the office will be in.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSMEMRSJ View Post
Thanks alot guys you've given me alot of great info. I work in accounting and you should see the massive spreadsheet that I've come up with lol. So far Spring Hill area/Mt Juliet look the best on paper for homes in my budget and school rankings. I will update my post when I find out exactly what part of nashville the office will be in.
I don't mean to steer you away from Spring Hill -- it's a nice "town," but you should probably visit there before you make any decisions there. It's 30 miles from Nashville, and will seem far out from most things in the metro. If your company locates in Franklin or even Brentwood, it might be fine (or perhaps even in Murfreesboro). But the commute to the city of Nashville is pretty far...

The pros to Spring Hill (mainly talking the Williamson County side) are the good schools, and relatively inexpensive housing (compared to other areas of the county). There is a decent amount of "stuff" in Spring Hill as far as shopping...so getting groceries isn't an issue, and there are a decent number of restaurants (mostly chains) and they have a Home Depot and Lowe's. Plus, Cool Springs is only about 15-20 minutes away to fulfill almost any other shopping needs. The natural setting is pretty nice, but not really better than most of the other suburbs.

The cons would mainly center around infrastructure. This is a farm town that grew from 1,700 to 29,000 in a matter of 20 years...and they just plain did not plan for growth. Most of the neighborhoods are built off of country roads without shoulders, and the main road through town is an overcrowded 2 lane road (which widens to 4 lanes just south of "downtown" towards Columbia). A number of other suburbs have the same sort of road infrastructure problems, but Spring Hill is perhaps the worst example of it in the whole area.

As you get more information, you might try to come down and visit for a few days and tour the region, just to get a feel for the driving times. I would be willing to bet that you will be surprised how spread out the area is...although the traffic isn't as bad as it is in northeastern cities, the distances between the cities might catch you off guard.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times
BTW, If you visit first, and I'd highly recommend it (I came 4 times the year before I moved), if you do not mind economy 2 star level hotels (The Comfort Inns and the like), most at that level offer weekly rates, which are seldom more costly than 1/2 the normal rate. So your exploratory trips need not be expensive. Plus, BNA (our large airport) is dominated by Southwest Airlines (1/2 the traffic, dozens of active gates used daily). They have a few gates at Laguardia, if I recall correctly. I fly into Bradley usually. Southwest has most of the traffic at Islip, Long Island, if you prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville