U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

17 posts, read 16,446 times

Advertisements

Hi

Im going to be moving to the nashville area within the next year. I am looking at surrounding towns also. But i dont drive and I was wondering about the public transportation. Hendersonville to nashville? franklin to nashville?

Is it possible/convenient? or would i be better off just looking in town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:58 PM

8,892 posts, read 7,094,757 times
If you're going to be working in Nashville but not driving, I would definitely look in town. And even then it's going to be quite difficult in many areas.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM

17 posts, read 16,446 times
is the public transportation not that good?

Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM

13,147 posts, read 10,400,885 times
No, it is virtually nonexistent compared to what comparable cities have. There is no public transportation from Franklin to Nashvile. The entire region is very car-centered.
There is a park-and-ride commuter bus from Brentwood to Nashville, bus routes in Nashville and a commuter train from Lebanon to downtown Nashville, but that's it.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:42 AM

5,069 posts, read 4,881,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH89 View Post
is the public transportation not that good?
In town it is OK. The main problem I see is that there aren't really any cross town routes. All the routes are funneled through the central station. Since Nashville is more spread out and has a lower average density than most cities its size, it is much harder for public transportation to be effective. As of now, the system is limited to 43 routes, plus 3 connector routes downtown (which are free to ride). There is a lone heavy rail line that runs to Donelson, Hermitage, Mount Juliet, and Lebanon...there are plans to expand, but definitely nothing on the immediate horizon. A subway system would be impossible due to how spread out the city and suburbs are, and because the ground underneath the city is solid limestone (you can see this in portions where roads have cut through the land, exposing the rock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
No, it is virtually nonexistent compared to what comparable cities have. There is no public transportation from Franklin to Nashvile. The entire region is very car-centered.
There is a park-and-ride commuter bus from Brentwood to Nashville, bus routes in Nashville and a commuter train from Lebanon to downtown Nashville, but that's it.
I agree that it is virtually non-existent in the suburbs...outside of a few commuter routes that run maybe twice a day either direction.

There is actually a Franklin commuter bus, but it only runs twice per morning and twice per evening...and it takes twice as long (at least) as the average commute would. I wouldn't suggest it as a viable option for commuting, though, because if for some reason you miss it, you're pretty screwed.

There is even a once per morning/evening bus to Spring Hill.

Here are the different suburban park & ride routes and estimated times to Music City Central downtown:

89X Springfield/Joelton
Downtown Springfield > Downtown 53 minutes
Springfield Walmart - 42 minutes
Joelton - 22 minutes

91X Franklin/Brentwood
Williamson Square Kroger > Downtown 50 minutes
Lowe's Cool Springs - 40 minutes
Brentwood Civitan Ballfields - 28 minutes

92X Gallatin/Hendersonville
Gallatin Walmart > Downtown 47 minutes
Hendersonville Kohl's - 27 minutes

95X Spring Hill
Thompson's Station Baptist Church > Downtown 62 minutes
Spring Hill Kroger @ Port Royal - 48 minutes

96X Murfreesboro Relax & Ride
Times and locations vary...figure 1-1.5 hours from Murfreesboro, 45 minutes-1hr from Smyrna

All the times listed are estimates by the MTA, and I would say they are pretty generous...

All info about bus routes can be found on the MTA website.

To the OP: I agree with the others that the suburbs are not a good place to look if you don't have a car. Even living in the city will be very difficult without a car...especially because even some of the neighborhoods that are "walkable" and those with a decent bus line would still not make it very easy to do grocery shopping or any other activities. Nashville is indeed a very car oriented city...and if you are looking for a city where you will definitely not need a car, sadly I must say this will probably not be a good fit for you.

However, it is possible to adapt if you do desire to live here. I would ask what type of housing/apartment budget you are looking at. There are a number of neighborhoods in the city that have pretty decent bus coverage. The southwest side of town (within 4-5 miles of downtown) actually has pretty good bus coverage (2 Belmont, 3 West End, 7 Hillsboro, 8 8th Ave So, 17 12th Ave So)...most of those routes run pretty often, some even into nighttime. Most of the area is pretty safe, and I have personally ridden on all of those routes, so I can tell you from experience that the buses are pretty safe as well. The only issue is that side of town tends to be more pricey compared to the rest of the "close to town" areas.

My suggestion would be that if you do choose to live here, buy a cheap car...just one that will get you from point A to B, and use it when the bus isn't convenient (shopping, driving to the suburbs, etc) and primarily use the bus for your commute. You might also be able to bike (if you are in to that) to places that are close to where you live. I will warn you that Nashville isn't overly bike friendly as well...and even though there are some roads with bike lanes, most don't have them, and you could have trouble on busier roads or intersections.

However, if your job happens to be in the suburbs, you are pretty much forced to have a car.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 AM

610 posts, read 1,091,974 times
This would be another example of the low tax - less services vs. other cities with higher tax burdens more government options.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,013,268 times
I live 2 1/2 miles from downtown Nashville and would find it very hard to survive here without a car. Unless you're a hermit, living in Franklin or Hendersonville without one would be miserable.

I'm saying this as someone who deeply hates driving and will be hightailing it out of here for a more walkable city as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville