U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM

45 posts, read 51,784 times

Advertisements

What would be your personal advice ? Spend the whole three days in Nashville/Franklin with a morning visit to Jack Daniel's or 2 days in Nashville/Franklin and a daytrip to Chattanooga.

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
OK, I understand now. It would be difficult to do Memphis in a day...especially if you're flying to and back or driving to and back. Honestly all you would have time to do would be Graceland and maybe walk Beale Street. That would be a very expensive side trip. Plus Graceland itself is pretty expensive to see. Finally, it would be very stressful traveling that much and trying to pack things in to see. I know you want to pack in as much as possible, but I think it would be too much.

Personally I think you would be much better off going to Lynchburg for Jack Daniel's and maybe checking out Franklin (although the 2 areas aren't really close together). Or maybe driving to Chattanooga instead.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

13,717 posts, read 10,938,782 times
My choice would be 2 days in Nashville with side trip to Chattanooga.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM

64 posts, read 63,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
My choice would be 2 days in Nashville with side trip to Chattanooga.
My choice too....and you could catch JD at Lynchburg on the way to Chattanooga or on the way back to Nashville (just gotta get an early start each morning)

Old 04-16-2011, 01:58 PM

54 posts, read 66,801 times
You could take <<< Groome Transportation >>> to Chattanooga. That way you could rest while you ride and it maybe wouldn't as be such a hard travel day.

I think you could also Greyhound to Memphis. I think with gas, rental car, and energy taking a bus or shuttle might be the best option. You wouldn't save much time flying when you factor in check-in/airport time/delays.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:20 PM

2,719 posts, read 2,427,930 times
Default And leave the driving to us!

If you don't want to rent a car, you could take Greyhound Bus.

To Mempis and back from Nashville is $72 and takes 4 hours each way.

To Chattanooga and back from Nashville is $48 and takes about 2.5 hours each way.

To Knoxville and back from Nashville is $66 and takes under 3.5 hours.

At least the price is right!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 04-16-2011 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: Embarassing typo

Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 PM

Default Graceland

You can take a tour (kind of) from Nashville to Memphis - including seeing Graceland and Beale Street . . for $255. Here is the link:

Nashville to Memphis Graceland Day Trip :: Sweet Magnolia Tours

And here is the info from e-How:

Company
Sweet Magnolia Tours is a company based in Nashville that takes visitors on a day trip to Memphis to visit Graceland. Guests take a Greyhound bus from Nashville to Memphis for the Graceland tour. Sweet Magnolia Tours was established in 1991 in Nashville, Tennessee.

Prices
Sweet Magnolia Tours recommends booking your Graceland tour at least seven days in advance. An additional fee is required for any Graceland tours booked less than seven days prior to departure. Discounted tour prices are available for parties of two or more.

Tours
Each tour includes round-trip transportation from Nashville to Memphis. Guests receive a cab ride from the bus station to Graceland, and from Graceland to Beale Street. Your Graceland Platinum Admission ticket guarantees admission into everything at Graceland. The tour also comes with a $15 Sweet Magnolia Bucks certificate to use at B.B. King's Blues Club, Alfred's on Beale, Red Rooster Bar and Music Hall, or the Superior Bar of Memphis.

Schedule
Sweet Magnolia Tours offers two tours per day from Nashville to Memphis. As of May 2010, the first tour of the day departs Nashville at 6:45 a.m., with a 7:30 p.m. return from Memphis. The second tour leaves Nashville at 10:35 a.m. and departs Memphis at 11:30 p.m.

Upgrades
Sweet Magnolia Tours offers an optional upgrade to a Graceland VIP ticket for an additional fee per person. The VIP package includes a VIPs-only exhibit, and tours of Elvis' auto museum, two airplanes and Private Presley. Guests receive an all-day ticket and a backstage-pass keepsake.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM

Coming all the way from Brazil, I would go to Memphis instead of Chattanooga. You GOTTA see Elvis!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 PM

45 posts, read 51,784 times
Default chattanooga or memphis: hard choice

I would love to visit Chattanooga AND Memphis.

Have only 3 days and if I choose to visit both I will be very tired (at least 12 hours of road driving in two days) and doing that I will
surely miss much of Nahville and Franklin.
I unfourtunately have to choose just one city besides Nashville....

I live Elvis songs and Graceland seems to be fantastic.
Memphis is also known for blues and Mississipi river.
I am very interested in Civil War History (have read dozens of books) and Chattanooga has many civil war sites.

Very very difficult choice...

I am strongly prone to choose Chattanooga.
It's a far closer (and described as scenic) destination than Memphis.

Well; plans can always change...

Have to thank all the folks for helping me.
Everyone has personal opinions but all of you gently show me options of how enjoying better my Tennessee experience,

I am very grateful

Marcio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Coming all the way from Brazil, I would go to Memphis instead of Chattanooga. You GOTTA see Elvis!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 AM

54 posts, read 66,801 times
If civil war sites and scenery are pushing you toward Chattanooga, I would actually tell you to choose Memphis. You can find civil war sites and great scenery around Nashville/Middle Tennessee. I love Chattanooga and went to college there, but honestly you can find what you're looking for in Chattanooga in Nashville (aside from the mountains/hills - but compared to most mountains in the US, these are nothing). However, Memphis offers things you can't find here. Memphis has Graceland, Beale St, the Peabody Hotel, the Pyramid, and more. And I would argue Beale St. and Nashville's Lower Broadway/2nd Ave are world's apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville