Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,819 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a family of 4 relocating to Nashville from the suburbs of Philly, and would love some advice on public schools in the Hendersonville area. My husband will be commuting into the city each weekday, and my children will be entering first and third grade.

After researching a bit, we've decided we like Hendersonville for what appear to be good schools, reasonable housing prices, & a fair commute, but are open to other ideas.

As far as Hendersonville schools, can anyone provide advice on which ES is best...or what the outstanding features are for each? Also, we would prefer to rent a home for about $2,000/mo. or buy in the $350,000 range. Any advice on neighborhoods?

Also, are there other areas with similar commutes (30 min. or so) and good schools we should look at? We've pretty much ruled out Brentwood b/c of the higher taxes.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:52 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,613,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydoze View Post
We've pretty much ruled out Brentwood b/c of the higher taxes.
Just FYI

If you're talking about property taxes, the combined city and county tax rate for Hendersonville/Sumner County is $2.67 per $100 of assessed value, while in Brentwood/Williamson County it's $2.75 per $100. Brentwood's city portion of the combined tax rate, at .49, is lower than Hendersonville's city portion, which is .65.

Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury - Division of Property Assessments - Property Tax Rates (http://www.comptroller1.state.tn.us/PAnew/LR.asp?W=10 - broken link)

Local portion of sales tax rate is the same: 2.25

http://www.tennessee.gov/revenue/pubs/taxlist.pdf

Housing is more expensive in Brentwood, no doubt, but taxes are not higher.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,819 times
Thank you, Wmsn4Life. Good to know! Both look like beautiful areas.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:14 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,830,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydoze View Post
Hello! We are a family of 4 relocating to Nashville from the suburbs of Philly, and would love some advice on public schools in the Hendersonville area. My husband will be commuting into the city each weekday, and my children will be entering first and third grade.

After researching a bit, we've decided we like Hendersonville for what appear to be good schools, reasonable housing prices, & a fair commute, but are open to other ideas.

As far as Hendersonville schools, can anyone provide advice on which ES is best...or what the outstanding features are for each? Also, we would prefer to rent a home for about $2,000/mo. or buy in the $350,000 range. Any advice on neighborhoods?

Also, are there other areas with similar commutes (30 min. or so) and good schools we should look at? We've pretty much ruled out Brentwood b/c of the higher taxes.

Thank you!!!

Beech, Jack Anderson, Nannie Berry, Indian Lake, and Station Camp are generally regarded as the best elementary schools in Hendersonville. I'll also add that Madison Creek is equally as good although located in neighboring Goodlettsville. You can use realtracs.com to search for homes in those districts. You really can't go wrong with homes in that price point in any of the districts. Beech and Madison Creek are on the more rural side of Hendersonville and large lots are easier to find. Nannie Berry and Indian Lake are both on the Indian Lake Peninsula which is the priciest area of town. Station Camp and Jack Anderson are in the fastest growing part of the city which will have a slightly longer commute but probably the most homes in your price range.

Also, I would recommend looking at Goodlettsville which has lower taxes than Hendersonville but the same great schools as long as you stay on the Sumner County side. It would also have the shortest commute. Some neighborhoods to look into would be Copper Creek and 12 Stones Crossing.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 AM

126 posts, read 325,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Beech, Jack Anderson, Nannie Berry, Indian Lake, and Station Camp are generally regarded as the best elementary schools in Hendersonville. I'll also add that Madison Creek is equally as good although located in neighboring Goodlettsville. You can use realtracs.com to search for homes in those districts. You really can't go wrong with homes in that price point in any of the districts. Beech and Madison Creek are on the more rural side of Hendersonville and large lots are easier to find. Nannie Berry and Indian Lake are both on the Indian Lake Peninsula which is the priciest area of town. Station Camp and Jack Anderson are in the fastest growing part of the city which will have a slightly longer commute but probably the most homes in your price range.

Also, I would recommend looking at Goodlettsville which has lower taxes than Hendersonville but the same great schools as long as you stay on the Sumner County side. It would also have the shortest commute. Some neighborhoods to look into would be Copper Creek and 12 Stones Crossing.
I agree with this poster. Hendersonville is a great area. We have a child who will be going into 3rd grade who has special needs ( Aspergers ) I have done extensive research and If we were staying in Nashville I would seriously consider Hendersonville Schools. I have heard great things.

I think you should have no problem finding a home to either rent or purchase in your price range. Hendersonville is definitely growing and has a pretty laid back vibe. I have relocated many clients there and love it. I wish you the best..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM

215 posts, read 680,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydoze

Thank you!!!
I wouldn't rule out Brentwood just yet, another member said it has lower taxes since it's located in Williamson county.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
I agree with this poster. Hendersonville is a great area. We have a child who will be going into 3rd grade who has special needs ( Aspergers ) I have done extensive research and If we were staying in Nashville I would seriously consider Hendersonville Schools. I have heard great things.

I think you should have no problem finding a home to either rent or purchase in your price range. Hendersonville is definitely growing and has a pretty laid back vibe. I have relocated many clients there and love it. I wish you the best..
Pretty laid back vibe?? I agree that it's a nice area that's growing but I don't see any real vibe there compared to other places (e.g. Nashville) though.

Last edited by goodman2; 04-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: I Messed Up

Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,437,434 times
Hendersonville is a great place to raise a family and I heartily agree with vivelafrance's school recommendations. You should be able to find ample housing in that price range and realtracs.com is the way to go to research. Hendersonville, like the majority of "halo" cities around Metro Nashville leans conservative...but I agree that it's laid back. And I define "laid back" as being mostly "live and let live" people. I'm liberal and live there and fit right in, so ideology shouldn't really be a big sticking point. There's also ample shopping & dining opportunities there...although most of them are the chain variety. Still, it's really hard to beat.

Let us know if we can answer more questions about the area.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:54 AM

126 posts, read 325,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
I wouldn't rule out Brentwood just yet, another member said it has lower taxes since it's located in Williamson county.
Pretty laid back vibe?? I agree that it's a nice area that's growing but I don't see any real vibe there compared to other places (e.g. Nashville) though.
The OP isn't looking at other areas in Nashville though..they asked about Hendersonville right? I am not going to argue on this forum but there are certainly many " laid back " neighborhoods in Nashville and I would be happy to direct the OP to those areas if that were the question in the post..cheers..

Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 PM

215 posts, read 680,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
The OP isn't looking at other areas in Nashville though..they asked about Hendersonville right? I am not going to argue on this forum but there are certainly many " laid back " neighborhoods in Nashville and I would be happy to direct the OP to those areas if that were the question in the post..cheers..
I think you misunderstood, the OP mentioned Brentwood's taxes and so I thought it would be ok to give my input.

Last edited by goodman2; 04-20-2011 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Needed To Change Something

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,007,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodman2 View Post
I agree with vivelafrance's recommendation on one condition, public schools are the framework of social engineering. They mentally condition people against their will with things that have nothing to do with the curriculum, which is outright totalitarian. Ron Paul even admitted that a while back.
Public schools certainly have a liberal bias, that was apparent when I was in public school from 1987-2000. However, I was certainly never brainwashed or "mentally conditioned" to the point where I was unable to form my own opinions on issues. Otherwise, I'd be a liberal today.

Also, while I'm certainly not on the Trump bandwagon, he was right about Ron Paul. The guy will never be elected, period. I think he is very intelligent and I like his stance on many issues, but too often he comes off like a wacky conspiracy theorist rather than a common sense conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville