Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times

Advertisements

All you wishy-washy Titans fans need to jump on the bandwagon because it's about to leave the station. This is the best first round pick Bud has made since the team has been in Tennessee. Don't listen to any doubters, they will be proven wrong in time.

Why will Jake Locker be the savior of this franchise? Because he offers all the positives of VY, who -- let's face it -- showed flashes of brilliance amidst all the turmoil, and none of the negatives.

Just like VY, Locker has 4.3 speed, pocket presence, and the ability and willingness to make plays with his legs.

Even better, that is where their similarities end.

Locker can actually throw the ball, and pretty well, too. He also has a lot more going for him between the ears, he's a team player, he's a natural leader, and he represents himself well on and off the field.

I'm very thankful that Carolina snatched up Cam Newton with the first pick, because I think we would have grabbed him if he were still available. Talk about VY Part II waiting to happen. As it stands, I haven't this excited about Titans football since the 10-0 start in 2008.

Go Locker and Go Titans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
Disagree. He's Heath Shuler with a worse college resume.

He's a slower and less accurate Vince Young.

Another failure in the making for the Titans.

Should've traded for a good backup. This QB class has lots of potential, but very little polish. I wouldn't have gambled on Locker.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Locker's college stats weren't anything to send your jaw falling, but look at his supporting cast. Peyton couldn't have put up great numbers with that sorry bunch of receivers and anemic o-line. Watch some UW game film and count the number of times Jake threw perfect passes that were dropped or had to throw out of bounds because his pathetic receivers couldn't get open. Washington is a team that went 0 and 12 in 2008 with Locker on the sidelines. One year later, he led them to wins over teams like USC (pre-Kiffin, when they were good).

Locker and VY ran the exact same 40 time at the combine, so I'm not sure where you're getting that Jake is slower.

Remember that Brett Favre's completion percentage in college was only 52%, and if he hadn't turned into a John Kerry flip-flop on the retirement issue and sent pictures of his "little smokey" to Jenn Sterger, he would be remembered as one of the greatest who ever lived. College stats just aren't a great indicator of NFL potential at the QB position. If they were, why aren't Jason White and Matt Leinart lighting up the league?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Locker's college stats weren't anything to send your jaw falling, but look at his supporting cast. Peyton couldn't have put up great numbers with that sorry bunch of receivers and anemic o-line. Watch some UW game film and count the number of times Jake threw perfect passes that were dropped or had to throw out of bounds because his pathetic receivers couldn't get open. Washington is a team that went 0 and 12 in 2008 with Locker on the sidelines. One year later, he led them to wins over teams like USC (pre-Kiffin, when they were good).
They turned around 0-12 and went 5-7 in a conference that never has more than a handful of quality teams. They really stepped it up in 2010 with a stunning 7-6 season.

And watch the game film and see what Jake Locker looks like in the pocket. Locker is a pretty decent playmaker on the run, but he's lost in the pocket. Why is that important? NFL QBs make, I don't know, 80% of their passes from the pocket? We've already tried this circus with Vince Young. Steve McNair was a QB that could scramble and make plays on the run...but he was also a decent pocket passer. I don't see so much of that out of Locker. Maybe he'll change with coaching...who knows? But old habits die hard. We should have learned that lesson with Vince Young.

Quote:
Locker and VY ran the exact same 40 time at the combine, so I'm not sure where you're getting that Jake is slower.
Combine time doesn't mean that much. That's without pads on. Ask Tyrone Calico how his 4.3 combine translated in the NFL.

I guess I was a bit harsh on Locker as far as speed. He's fast when he gets up to speed. VY is more "quick-footed." More ability to elude the defense, where as Locker builds up speed and tries to run over them (something he has to change going into the NFL).

Quote:
Remember that Brett Favre's completion percentage in college was only 52%, and if he hadn't turned into a John Kerry flip-flop on the retirement issue and sent pictures of his "little smokey" to Jenn Sterger, he would be remembered as one of the greatest who ever lived. College stats just aren't a great indicator of NFL potential at the QB position. If they were, why aren't Jason White and Matt Leinart lighting up the league?
Nothing Favre has done will change his accomplishments on the football field...it just tarnishes his image. Joe Namath is a hopeless drunk, but that doesn't seem to deter people from mentioning his glory days. As for Favre. Great QB...but somewhat overrated.

And you're right about college stats not being a great indicator. But what about consistency? Granted, Locker didn't play for a great team...but great players find a way to elevate the play of their teammates. Jason White and Matt Leinart both came from systems absolutely loaded with talent (and good coaching). We call that "the Wuerffel Effect." Still, both those guys MADE the necessary plays to be great...or at least the best the could be at their level.

No doubt Locker has the athletic skill set to be a pro QB...the problem I see is that he doesn't seem to have the good fundamentals to be in a good pro system. I promise you it will by VYII unless Locker commits to learning how to play in the pocket, and doesn't take stupid risks trying to run over a guy down the field (since the NFL safeties hit harder than a lot of college linebackers).

I hope I'm wrong, but the Titans' history suggests otherwise. They are simply awful in the draft. They should go down the road to 501 Broadway and take a player drafting and development seminar from David Poile and the Nashville Predators.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:01 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but the Titans' history suggests otherwise. They are simply awful in the draft. They should go down the road to 501 Broadway and take a player drafting and development seminar from David Poile and the Nashville Predators.
I'm a Bengals fan. I could write a dissertation about bad draft picks.

I think Locker will be fine. I doubt he'll be Peyton Manning, or Brett Favre, or probably Steve McNair. But he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, plenty of talent, and probably won't hurt the club.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'm a Bengals fan. I could write a dissertation about bad draft picks.

I think Locker will be fine. I doubt he'll be Peyton Manning, or Brett Favre, or probably Steve McNair. But he seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders, plenty of talent, and probably won't hurt the club.
Compared to Vince Young, that's not saying a whole lot.

I do hope I'm wrong about this...but my frustrations as a Titans fan go well beyond picking Jake Locker. The Titans have a history of stretching for players that have a lot of upside, but are high risk picks. With a top 10 draft pick, I think it would've been better spent on Nick Fairley, someone who could shore up our interior D-line and give us the tenacity on every down that Haynesworth could only bring a few times per game. Fairley is the type of guy I think could make a more immediate impact...Locker will take some work. This year's QB crop didn't impress me much...lots of upside, but lots of issues. I would've rather plugged in a proven backup until a better QB comes around. I don't like the mentality of "we need a QB, so we have to draft a QB, no matter what." The NFL is a league where it is important to slowly build up a core group of players...you can't just fix your needs with anyone in the draft. You have to draft smart, and get the best guys available. I don't think Jake Locker was the 8th best player in the draft. Not even remotely close.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:31 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
You're probably right about adding a "core" guy. I wish the Bengals had done that although AJ Green is fantastic. Fairley, to me, seemed exactly like an Albert Haynesworth type. Both on the field, and unfortunately probably off the field too. I'm sure he'll be a stud, but I wonder about his work ethic and all those kinds of things.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
You're probably right about adding a "core" guy. I wish the Bengals had done that although AJ Green is fantastic. Fairley, to me, seemed exactly like an Albert Haynesworth type. Both on the field, and unfortunately probably off the field too. I'm sure he'll be a stud, but I wonder about his work ethic and all those kinds of things.
I disagree about work ethic on the field -- I don't know how he would handle playing on a "bad" team, but Fairley was one of those guys that never seemed to quit when the game was on the line. I don't think I would describe him as a "leader," but he's got a good motor for a big guy, and and has a nasty streak. There are some issues as far as dirty play, but Fairley usually did that after he made a play, whereas Haynesworth would get frustrated when he didn't make a play. Anyhow, I think with Suh and Fairley on the Lions' D-line, a lot of quarterbacks should probably invest in a good life insurance policy -- those two are going to be NASTY together.

As far as AJ Green. Green is a fantastic talent and a playmaker. His "off the field issue" that resulted in a suspension is rather minor IMO, and I think he's a standup guy. The Bengals' D probably needed the help more...but AJ Green is a good lockerroom guy on a team with a history of not having good lockerroom guys. He's a good all around addition, but I can understand the frustration of not adding some defensive depth.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:33 PM

Some comments about the last few posts:

- Jake Locker DID elevate the play of his teammates. His teammates won zero games without him in 2008, then 5 and 7 games with him in 2009 and 2010. That is a huge improvement and if I were a Husky fan, I would be more than happy with that. Did you expect them to go from winless to a BCS bowl in one or two seasons? I understand there were other factors that led to their turnaround, but none were bigger than Jake Locker.

- Jake Locker is a stand-up guy with a good head on his shoulders and tremendous work ethic, and NOT just compared to Vince Young. This is a guy who is in the Drew Brees/Peyton Manning character echelon. He will be a good asset not just to the Titans but to Nashville.

- Fairley would have been a riskier pick than Locker. I have no idea whether he will lead the NFL in tackles in two years or in fines and suspensions for dirty play and be kicked out of the league. Like it or not, the Titans have developed an image problem over the last five years, thanks to Pacman, Haynesworth, VY, and now Kenny Britt. Fairley is not someone I want to take a chance on at this point.

- I am tired of 8-8 seasons, and that is what you get with a "proven backup." The Titans are making a fresh start with the departures of Fisher and VY, and they need to start building the franchise's future IMMEDIATELY, not trudge along with a second- or third-tier QB for the next few years hoping the next Manning or Brady will come down the pike at some point. Is Locker perfect? No. Does he have tremendous upside, insane athletic ability, correctable flaws, and zero off-field or character issues? Yes. That sounds to me like a guy who is worth a #8 pick.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Some comments about the last few posts:

- Jake Locker DID elevate the play of his teammates. His teammates won zero games without him in 2008, then 5 and 7 games with him in 2009 and 2010. That is a huge improvement and if I were a Husky fan, I would be more than happy with that. Did you expect them to go from winless to a BCS bowl in one or two seasons? I understand there were other factors that led to their turnaround, but none were bigger than Jake Locker.
They also won zero games of the 4 he actually played in 2008. And he won 4 games the previous year...so Washington went 4-8, 0-12, 5-7, 7-6 in Locker's 4 years. Knocking out the 0-for season and your left with consistent mediocrity. Next.

Quote:
- Jake Locker is a stand-up guy with a good head on his shoulders and tremendous work ethic, and NOT just compared to Vince Young. This is a guy who is in the Drew Brees/Peyton Manning character echelon. He will be a good asset not just to the Titans but to Nashville.
That's wonderful...if he had Drew Brees/Peyton Manning type talent. We might be OK if he decides not to commit suicide trying to make a first down, though. It would suck if our top draft pick Eric Crouch's himself before the season even starts.

Quote:
- Fairley would have been a riskier pick than Locker. I have no idea whether he will lead the NFL in tackles in two years or in fines and suspensions for dirty play and be kicked out of the league. Like it or not, the Titans have developed an image problem over the last five years, thanks to Pacman, Haynesworth, VY, and now Kenny Britt. Fairley is not someone I want to take a chance on at this point.
If Nick Fairley leads the NFL in tackles (he'll need 160 or so) in two years as a defensive tackle, he will no doubt be the greatest defensive player in the history of the game.

As for the character issues...I can see that, but I don't think he would be like Crackman Jones or Haynesworth. Those two guys were trouble from the start. I think Britt can rebound, if he gets his act together. VY is just a headcase.

Quote:
- I am tired of 8-8 seasons, and that is what you get with a "proven backup." The Titans are making a fresh start with the departures of Fisher and VY, and they need to start building the franchise's future IMMEDIATELY, not trudge along with a second- or third-tier QB for the next few years hoping the next Manning or Brady will come down the pike at some point. Is Locker perfect? No. Does he have tremendous upside, insane athletic ability, correctable flaws, and zero off-field or character issues? Yes. That sounds to me like a guy who is worth a #8 pick.
Getting rid of Jeff Fisher will have more to do with fixing the 8-8's than whoever the QB is. Fisher played for the FG, that was his critical flaw as a coach.

But, having said that, you're plugging in a QB who saw just one winning season in 4. Sounds like the Titans have their man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: