Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Nashville in a few weeks and am wondering how the airport is. I usually try to fly into secondary airports as I find them easier and quicker, but it doesn't seem that there is a good one around Nashville. When I'm flying out, how likely is it that they will be using the new advanced imaging? I know some airports have it and never seem to use it (Phoenix) and some use it all the time (Tampa). I try to avoid this at all costs. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:45 PM

164 posts, read 398,182 times
While Nashville is and international airport, it really has a small feel to it. Almost like flying into a secondary airport. (I used Manchester/Boston Regional before we moved here).

The full imaging scanner is in use. How likely it is that you are asked to go through? I have no idea what the criteria is.

I recently flew from Boston to Nashville. I am a frequent traveler. I know the drill. Nothing in my pocket, no shoes or belts, etc. etc. I was asked to go through the full body scan. I declined. I've already had pre-cancerous and non-canerous body parts removed. I don't trust this scanner. I took the pat down. Hey, make the TSA agent earn her pay for the day.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 PM

66 posts, read 163,102 times
I have flown out of Nashville about 4-5 times since last thanksgiving and never once went through the body scanner here. When flying out of detroit, I almost always have to go through it. Every time I go through Nashville, I am through security in about 3-4 minutes. Maybe I just catch it at the right times, but I have never had to wait long and haven't seen anyone use the scanner either.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
BNA is a medium hub. It's not huge...but not like most secondary airports.

It's on the same type of level as Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Indianapolis, San Jose, and Cleveland (as far as passenger traffic).

As for secondary airports...traffic-wise its like Houston (Hobby) and John Wayne (Orange County).

When I fly, I find that I have a comfortable amount of time when I show up an hour and a half or two hours early. On most days, you shouldn't see really long security lines...but I prefer early flights.

I haven't encountered the advanced imaging at our airport, but I know they have it.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Any non-airport questions?

Old 06-14-2011, 05:09 AM

8 posts, read 12,619 times
I fly from NY into Nashville at least once a month. I usually get there an hour and half early and always have plenty of time. It's a very easy airport to navigate. Security has never taken more than 20 minutes. I fly out on Sunday afternoons or early Monday mornings. The mornings are definitely busier but it moves quickly even with the full body scan. I've only encountered that with AA, I usually fly Delta and have never been through it with them.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:25 AM

367 posts, read 584,518 times
I flew to Los Angeles two weeks ago and they were using the scanners. However, the lines through security were not long compared to many airports.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:05 PM

67 posts, read 202,585 times
I've flown out of BNA a handful of times so far in 2011 and it's been hit or miss whether or not they're using the full body imagining scanner. Sometimes when lines are short they send everyone through it. When it's busier, it is random.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Every single time I have flown out of Nashville I've encountered the advanced imaging device. They always direct me to be scanned by it. This never happens to me in any other city (including major airports like Chicago's).

Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
I've flown several times since they got the device and I've never seen the imaging device being used. I'm usually there during lunch/early afternoon.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 PM

10 posts, read 17,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
While Nashville is and international airport, it really has a small feel to it. Almost like flying into a secondary airport. (I used Manchester/Boston Regional before we moved here).

The full imaging scanner is in use. How likely it is that you are asked to go through? I have no idea what the criteria is.

I recently flew from Boston to Nashville. I am a frequent traveler. I know the drill. Nothing in my pocket, no shoes or belts, etc. etc. I was asked to go through the full body scan. I declined. I've already had pre-cancerous and non-canerous body parts removed. I don't trust this scanner. I took the pat down. Hey, make the TSA agent earn her pay for the day.
uh oh....flew from Phoenix to Atlanta...got scanned, then padded down...
interesting since I was wearing SHORTS!!!! good grief..tsa guy said
to empty my pockets....had a penny in one of the pockets...nice profiley
tsa....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville