Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 27,599 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

In June, I visited UT-Knoxville and had mixed reviews of the town. Knoxville is a great town (small, but still feels like you are in a city). It reminded me slightly of Madison, Wisconsin. I did notice that the town seemed a little quiet. Not too many people were roaming the streets during the day or even at night. Is it that different when the school is in session? Also, it seemed like there was a lot of building construction going on that had never been finished. I maybe wanted a little more action than what I found, although I loved the area...very pretty!!!

Now, I'm looking at Vanderbilt in Nashville. I am looking to go to grad school at possibly either place. I have not visited Nashville yet but notice it is a bigger town (similar in size to Milwaukee, which is where I'm from). I love the fact that the Titans stadium is nearby (hello packer fan!!! I live for football!). As a student, which would be a better choice? Does Nashville offer that much more than Knoxville when it comes to entertainment, fun, food, etc.??

Please help! If you know anyone that went to either school and can put in a positive or negative word, it would also be very helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:21 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,131,184 times
Uh, oh. This could turn into a bloodbath. ;-)

Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,960,457 times
I'll be the first to jump in.

If I could afford it, I would choose Vandy.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but it seems to me that the decision on where to attend graduate school should be based more on which school has the better program, not which city has the better night life.

Having said that, Nashville definitely has the edge as far as night life and things to do. I mean, metro Nashville has twice the population as metro Knoxville and has a thriving live music scene that can't be beat except maybe in L.A.

Knoxville has the edge if you like outdoor activities.

Vanderbilt undoubtedly has a better national reputation than U.T., although U.T. has some excellent programs in its graduate school, too. The commander of tomorrow's space shuttle launch, for example, is a graduate of U.T.'s graduate program in aviation systems.

U.T. has about three times the enrollment of Vanderbilt, so if you want to hang out with other college students, you'll have more to choose from in Knoxville. But Nashville definitely has more to do, although I'm not sure that as a graduate student at Vanderbilt you'd really have much time to enjoy it.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,369,329 times
Okay, I'll chime in here, since I'm a graduate of both schools-- undergrad at UTK and grad school at Vanderbilt. I loved them both, but they are very different schools and each has an edge in different things. If you're in communications, fine arts or maybe even liberal arts, I'd probably give UT a slight edge, since the communications program there is nationally recognized; if you're in business, medicine, law, etc., I'd probably go with Vanderbilt.

I'm not sure about the exact cost differential, but Vanderbilt is a LOT more expensive than UT. From an educational perspective, it's worth every penny. UT is something of a social school-- and, yes, more fun-- while Vandy is more academic and, yes, more prestigious. A degree from Vanderbilt will open doors, many doors, and you will be "second tier," right below the Ivy League. Some employers will put you on the same tier as the Ivy League. UT will not get you quite as far-- you, as a person, might, but on paper, the degree will not. I'm not saying it's fair or right or just, but we're talking real world.

Now, if you're looking for a fun place to park yourself for a few years, I would not guess that you are going to find those student loans worth two years in Nashville. You can have fun in Knoxville for a lot less and still get a good education and you will not be studying nearly as much. Believe it. Vandy is academically tough. And neither city is like Wisconsin, so you are going to find either one a whole new experience, which you may or may not like.

So my two cents:

If you're rich, a serious student, planning to be CEO of a Fortune 100 corporation, do not look good in orange or do not live for football, go with Vanderbilt. The ROI will pay off, and you'll LOVE Nashville.

If you're not rich, not at the top of your class, do not have Bill Gates-type ambition, are drifting, stuck or put fun and football anywhere near the top of your priority list, go with UT. You'll spend less, meet lots of terrific people and fall will be even more fun than it is in Madison.

Of course, the million dollar question is: have you been accepted at Vanderbilt? That might make your decision really easy.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 AM

52 posts, read 203,371 times
Have to agree with goodbyehollywood and others. Nashville is bigger and probably more fun for a grad student. However, Vandy is expensive and the program you want to go to MUST be worth it in the long run. If you like mountains, I suggest UT.

2 things:
1) Do NOT say UT-Knoxville especially if you are in Knoxville. There is only one UT and it is in Knoxville including that school that calls itself UT in Austin,Tejas.
2) For football in Nashville, there are the Titans. Vanderbilt does have an intramural football team. That last sentence is an accurate and true statement and is not even a joke.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:33 PM

297 posts, read 1,075,591 times
I think the Vandy cheer at sporting events says it all...

"It's alright. It's okay. You'll work for us someday."

Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 27,599 times
Thanks for your inputs. As far as academics, I am very serious but need a break from the strenuous workload from time to time. I went to Marquette as an undergrad if that helps. I live in Milwaukee, so I have the opportunity to have fun now and get serious later. If Vandy will take me, I'd be overjoyed. I'm going into Nursing and am entering the bridge program (Non nursing BS to MS in Nursing). All your posts have been very beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville