Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,341 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating to Smyrna from Salt Lake City. I have never been to the south, and I don't know much about the area. So, a few specific questions about Smyrna:

Is it a safe city crime wise?

Are there areas of town to avoid?

What is traffic like?

How do you find out about public schools and testing scores?

Is the hospital a good one? (We have 2 daughters with life threatening food allergies and must at times get to a hospital quickly).

Are there any environmental concerns we should be aware of? (Flooding areas, past dumping sites, radon, water quality, etc).

Do they have a good library system?

Are there any museums?

What kind of outdoor activities are there?

Does it snow much in the winter? Is it super humid and hot in the summer?

TORNADOES! Yikes. Are they common here?

Also, I'm wondering what the children's hospitals in Nashville are like.

So that was a short novel worth of questions, but I'm super curious... any advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times
I imagine this thread will be moved to the Nashville forum, as Smyrna is a suburb of Nashville.

About your questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytgirl View Post
We may be relocating to Smyrna from Salt Lake City. I have never been to the south, and I don't know much about the area. So, a few specific questions about Smyrna:
First of all, I would highly suggest you come here and take a tour and familiarize yourself with the area...see what you like, and what you don't like.

As I said before, Smyrna is a suburb of Nashville. The 2010 Census pegged the population at 39,974. It is a fast growing town, and is primarily residential, though it does have a small amount of retail/restaurants, as well as a small hospital (Stonecrest Medical Center). It is located approximately 22 miles southeast of Nashville (pop 601,222), and 12 miles northwest of Murfreesboro (pop 108,755), along the I-24 corridor. It is the fourth largest suburb in the Nashville area.

Might I ask, are you possibly relocating with a business? And did they mention Smyrna specifically, rather than Nashville? If the answer is yes to the latter, then it would be beneficial to live closer to work...but there are other options in the area if you can't find what you're looking for in Smyrna.

Quote:
Safety is a relative term for a lot of people...there is crime in Smyrna, and some of it violent...but as a whole, I don't think it's a dangerous place. How you perceive it may be different depending on what you are used to in Utah. I could throw some crime statistics at you, but that doesn't really paint the whole picture. I think most areas of Smyrna are safe, though.

Quote:
Again, as above, it depends on what you are used to. Personally, I don't know of any areas that I would outright avoid. There are some low income places that have higher rates of crime...but nothing approaching ghetto status that I can think of. People might have different opinion on what type of areas are areas to avoid, but I think many people would agree that the vast majority of them are actually in the city of Nashville. There are a few in the suburbs, but most of them are small areas, and pretty tame compared to the city. That said, don't get the idea that Nashville is a place you should avoid as a whole -- there are plenty of very nice and safe areas in the city.

Quote:
What is traffic like?
It can be bad at times...but not in the same league as true big cities. I-24 is very crowded at rush hour, so if you can avoid it, don't head towards Nashville at rush hour. Still, the traffic moves, and traffic here isn't comparable to most larger cities (i.e. Atlanta). Secondary roads can move slowly...but they move. Not sure how it would compare to SLC traffic.

Quote:
Probably a better question for someone else...but I see greatschools.com mentioned a lot. You might use that as a starting point. In general, the schools probably aren't going to be as good as most of the ones in Utah. Williamson County Schools (the county to the west of Smyrna's Rutherford County) are generally well regarded, and most often the best performing in the area.

Quote:
Is the hospital a good one? (We have 2 daughters with life threatening food allergies and must at times get to a hospital quickly).
The hospital in Smyrna isn't huge, but according to their website, is pretty well rated.

Home - Stonecrest Medical Center

There is a larger hospital (Middle Tennessee Medical Center) in Murfreesboro, as well as several very large hospitals in Nashville (Vanderbilt UMC, St. Thomas, Baptist, and Centennial).

Quote:
Are there any environmental concerns we should be aware of? (Flooding areas, past dumping sites, radon, water quality, etc).
Nashville did have a devastating flood in the area in 2010...but I don't recall anything of note in Rutherford County. Flooding is a concern in certain areas, though, so if you are looking for a house that is near a creek or even just a very low spot, it would be beneficial to look at a flood plain map.

As far as dumping sites...not to my knowledge.

Radon...there is a higher potential for it around here. It's something I would check into, but I don't know of anyone personally who has had a problem with it.

The water quality is good as far as I know...I drink it all the time.

Quote:
I don't know about Smyrna or Rutherford County's library system. My guess would be that it is not on par due to the high population growth (I'd guess it's still catching up)...Davidson County (Nashville) does have a fairly extensive library network, as well as a beautiful main branch downtown.

Quote:
Are there any museums?
In Smyrna? Probably not...or at least nothing of note. Nashville will have most of what you need as far as arts/entertainment/culture/sports/etc.

Quote:
In the region....hiking, camping, fishing, water sports (there is a decent sized lake not far from Smyrna). There are a number of nice parks within an hour or two's drive, though.

Quote:
It does snow in the winter, but not much on average. The official average is 10" per year...but usually we have a few dustings and light snows, then a 4-6" snow every few years. When it does snow, people generally lose all ability to drive. There isn't a whole lot as far as snow removal equipment...but considering how little it needs to be used, you can see why. Winters are generally mild, but it can get pretty cold.

Summers...hot, typically very humid. Very, very different from Utah.

Quote:
*Cue everyone who freaks out over tornadoes*

Tornadoes occur at a higher frequency than a lot of the country...but it's not something I would live in fear over. The best thing to do is to watch the weather reports, and invest in a weather radio. The odds of a tornado hitting your house are still very low...but when they do hit, they can be devastating, so it's best to be prepared and take the warnings seriously. This doesn't mean you have to hide when a tornado warning is issued -- or you'll spend most of the spring in a bathroom, closet, or basement. Watch the news...they sensationalize the hell out of it...you'll know exactly (to the street) which areas are in most danger. If a rotation is detected in Murfreesboro, and moving due east, there will be a tornado warning for Rutherford County...but there will be no reason to go to your place of shelter, because the tornado is 12 miles to the south...

Quote:
Vanderbilt has a large children's hospital...pretty much everything at Vanderbilt is top notch and very highly regarded.

Quote:
So that was a short novel worth of questions, but I'm super curious... any advice would be helpful. Thank you for your time!
You are welcome. Hopefully you find some of this information useful. If you have more specific questions, please, ask away.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times
Quote:

What is traffic like?

Are there any museums?

Having lived in SLC for 5 years and currently residing in Smyrna, I would be happy to assist. First off, the South will be a change for you if you haven`t lived anywhere else. It`s not like they portray it in the movies but it is different. Having said that, my wife is from there and loves TN.

Smyrna does have crime but it is generally safe. I know there are some areas of Utah where people still leave their doors unlocked. I would not advise that but you will feel safe jogging at night.

No real places to "avoid". Smyrna is a suburb with some neighborhoods built on top of each other and other areas where you feel in the country. Depends on your preference and budget. We live close to Sam Ridley and love the area. Very convenient.

Smyrna is crowded and Sam Ridley can be a nightmare in the mornings/evenings and weekends but it depends on what you are used to and if you are commuting to Nashville. I would liken the commute to 90th South in SLC.

Can`t tell you much about the schools since our kids are too young but we are zoned for David Youree and I have heard positive things about it. I studied the Utah School system at SLCC and I would imagine the schools would be less crowded here and we do not yet have year round track schedule though I think it`s coming.

Stonecrest is new and very convenient. I would imagine the only knock would be it`s size and lack of total care offering but Nashville is a healthcare hub with some top rated hospitals. We had our second child at Stonecrest and had a great experience but we also drive to Vanderbilt for more specific care. Vanderbilt Children`s is also a new hospital and top rated with St. Jude`s right down the interstate in Memphis. If you currently go to Primary Children`s, you will not be disappointed with Vanderbilt.

You will have to worry about flooding and tornadoes unfortunately. Having been involved in some of the local clean-up effort from last May`s historic flood, there are areas of Smyrna close to the lake that will put you more at risk and you will want to research that with your realtor/landlord. Having grown up here, tornadoes are scary but the norm between April-Early June and you will be on alert a few nights/week during those months but I imagine you will get used to it.

Smyrna and LaVergne libraries are decent and great for kids. You will want to venture to Nashville for museums (the Children`s museum is fun). There are lots of outdoor activities during the warmer months in Smyrna between the outdoor parks, golf course, sports fields (soccer park similar to West Jordan), fireworks show, annual airshow, etc.... We have to look and Smyrna is not as walkable as some areas in Utah but our family stays entertained between Smyrna, Murfreesboro, and Nashville. You will miss the mountains and the easy access to nature but our state parks are awesome and plentiful.

Lastly, you will laugh at what we consider a "bad winter". Utah can get more snow in one good storm than Nashville will get in one "bad Winter" yet we still close schools down at the sign of a snow storm. Keep in mind the humidity makes the snow much wetter and we have a lot of black ice. In addition, one suburb of SLC probably stocks more snow plows than all of Nashville Metro. You will hate the Summers, they are hot and the shade doesn`t help. Only months of real Winter here are Jan-Feb so you will appreciate not having to plow snow off your driveway in May. May is a hot month in TN.

Last edited by musiccity; 06-24-2011 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 06-24-2011, 10:54 AM

163 posts, read 582,553 times
Is it a safe city crime wise? Like the previous poster said, there is crime here but it is all realtive to what you are used to. I feel very safe here.

Are there areas of town to avoid? My husband and I have drove all around and to be honest I never really saw an area that scared me. They are some run down places but nothing like I have seen before.

What is traffic like? It can be really busy during rush hours but you do move. Sam Ridley/Nissan/Lee Victory is the worse that I have seen during those times. But nothing like I-24.

How do you find out about public schools and testing scores? I asked around on here but our daughter is 3 so we can't attest to how well the school is we are zoned for.

Is the hospital a good one? (We have 2 daughters with life threatening food allergies and must at times get to a hospital quickly). I have heard many good things about Stone Crest but thankfully never had to go so I can't give my thoughts on it.

Are there any environmental concerns we should be aware of? (Flooding areas, past dumping sites, radon, water quality, etc). Not to my knowledge. Do ask around about the flooding last year. The house we bought is close to a river so we made sure it didn't flood. The water got in the backyard but never close to the house (this is from neighbors)

Do they have a good library system? I do know there is a library on Enon Springs but I have never been to it. I was told they have story times for kids.

Are there any museums? Not in Smyrna but Nashville is just 30 mins away.

What kind of outdoor activities are there? Like previously stated, hiking, fishing, etc. There are several spots on the Greenway that have pinic areas, swings, and such. We enjoy walking the Greenway, we go to different sections each time.

Does it snow much in the winter? Is it super humid and hot in the summer? This varies each year to be honest. We did have more snow this past winter than we have in a while, or at least compared to West TN. It is not super humid but I have lived in TN my whole life so I am used to it.

TORNADOES! Yikes. Are they common here? Common yes but we have had less here than we did in West TN...I lived next to the river and we were always getting hit it seemed. In the 8 months living here, we have gotten in tub twice during the storms. Just alot of wind so far here.

Also, I'm wondering what the children's hospitals in Nashville are like. Again like the previous poster said Vanderbilt is well known and accredited. My friend's little girl had heart issues so they were up here alot for that and she loved the doctors.

Personal note: If your work is in Smyrna, I would highly recommend living here. It is big enough you have stuff to do but also close to Nashville or Murfreesboro for even more stuff to do. I am from a small town so moving here was a big change for me but I love it here and don't plan on moving. However, I agree that you need to look around the area and surrounding towns/cities. We looked at different areas but settled on Smyrna due to close to work, big enough to have choices but small enough that I didn't feel overwhelmed. My parents visit often and they even like it here, which is surprising since they have lived in my hometown all their life...which has 300 people in it.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 9,341 times
Default Smyrna

Wow, thank you so much for all of that wonderful information! I really appreciate it. Hopefully we'll know soon if we're heading off to Tennessee or not, and you've provided some much needed peace of mind, and some things to think about!

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
PS. I worried about tornadoes before I moved here. For the most part, they really do give you ample warning. Down to the minute if you are watching the local news. They will break in any time of day and follow the storm and they'll say things like "Oh, at 6:52 it will be on Hill Street". I signed up for an alert service so they call on my cell phone and say there is a tornado warning in my area. We DO seem to get some severe thunderstorms. They don't last long but are very intense - downpour, wind, etc. Anyway, good luck with your move if you head this way!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:30 PM

353 posts, read 1,000,780 times
I am a "transplant" to Smyrna from the Northeast and have been very happy about my move....

Most recent violent crime that I recall was a shooting a year or so ago. Was thought to be gang related, but it turned out to be untrue. The suspect was caught (out of state) a few months later.

There have been some robberies of banks, but again suspects were caught.

I see on a daily basis Smyrna Police driving through my sub division.

None, that I can think of.

What is traffic like?

It moves slowly at times, but it goes. I 24 can be slow during rush hours. Non rush hour, I can be on Broadway in Nashville in about 20 minutes.

I don't have kids so I can't tell you. I do know a few that attend and have attended and they seem "normal".

I have heard good things about the hospital here. The EMS though will make the call as to whether it's here or Nashville.

There are a few streams/creeks that get high with a lot of rain. (Like the flooding in 2010.) But there was no extensive damage that I heard of to any homes.

The parking lot always seems to be full if that helps?

Are there any museums?

No..there is Sam Davis Home...but as was said there is Nashville, and a number of Civil War sites in the area.

TONS! Lots of walking/biking paths, lake access, golf, parks....

I relocated from the Northeast so the snow here is minimal. A few storms of a couple of inches eash a year. However the snow brings mass panic and poor driving. The stores are flooded with people buying bread and milk.
The heat? Well...like when it's cold in Salt Lake? You stay inside...just like when it's hot here.

They are few and far between, I have been here two years and haven't seen one. There was one that struck Murfreesboro in April of 2009.

Vanderbilt Childrens Hospital is known world wide. A good friends child was treated there after be premature. He is know a healthy and very active 2 year old!

Any other questions let me (us) know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville